From cassette to... er...

It's been a while since I recorded stuff at home. I'm sure my old Fostex X15 and Tascam 488 are in a box somewhere but I suppose I should move with the time and move to a PC-based system..

There's plenty of data on the web but not much in the way of information and it's left me with as much of a clue as when I started researching.

In the old days I used to cook up a drum track and chordal backing on my Yamaha QY10 (which I dug out and which worked after maybe 15 years of not being touched). and think stick guitars over the top. No vocals.

I used to have a copy of Guitar Tracks Pro but it won't work on Win7. I downloaded the evaluation copy of Reaper, it looks horrible at first sight and obviously needs some time spent getting acquainted with it, but I'd love something simpler.

I'm not keen on spending much, there seems to be a lot of free software but I haven't a clue what's good and what's not. Ideally a software version of something like the QY10 would be great. I have a fair amount of outboard gear and a couple of Line 6 USB things to get the guitar into the PC so I'm reasonably well catered for on that front. I know there are loads of VST plugins available online.

So, fellow FB'ers, based on your own experiences, what do I need?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited May 2017
    A computer, an audio interface and a copy off Reaper will get you started.
    There are a lot of interfaces on the market- most things over £100 don't sound dreadful- if you want to do professional work then you may need to spend a bit more.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Probably the most basic (but sound quality is fine) would be Audacity. It's free, will work on Win7 and is a very capable audio recorder/editor. You can do basic multitrack recording on it although it's not as flexible as a fully fledged DAW (digital audio workstation). With that you could use the QY10 as before but replace the tape 4-track part with Audacity.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited May 2017
    Checkout Cubase Elements - it's £80 but worth it. You can download a full copy with no restrictions which will work for 30 days - try before you buy. Don't like it simply delete it. Steinberg is owned by Yamaha so you get plenty of Yamaha tech. Excellent support for MIDI and some great built in VST instruments including synths, an easy to use drum machine and much more.

The Chord Track is cool - punch in some chords from the chord wheel and create a backing to jam over.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/cubase_elements.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    @frank1985 was looking for a 4 track cassette unit if your selling?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    Have a go with the Mixcraft 8 Home Studio demo. 

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcrafths/

It's got a really nice old school feel to the interface. AT $50 for the basic version, it's also very affordable. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Just noticed there are some vids on building a track with Cubase Elements:

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Actually, if you get an audio interface it will come with some sort of recording software. 

Depending on what PC system you end up with, you might be able to use a firewire-based interface which would set you back not very much money secondhand as these have largely been superseded by USB devices. Don't be put off by 'old' technology. I have been using firewire interfaces for years and have had no problem. I currently use an Alesis i/o26 but previously used a little Presonus Inspire which has 2x Mic/Instrument inputs plus phantom power; I'm sure these things can be picked up for peanuts these days