Fender 51 vs Strat...

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
edited May 2017 in Guitar
So as I've essentially given up on getting my ideal replacement guitar (Eastwood Airline) for a price I can justify for my playing ability, I'm turning my attention to other possibilities, and trying to entertain instruments I might normally ignore to see if they might actually surprise me.

I've been looking at a Fender Pawn Shop 51, which is quite strat-esque, and I've been enjoying music (and guitar sounds) by strat players quite a lot recently on my work commute - Hendrix, Albert Hammond Jr, few others. So I thought maybe a Strat might be good to consider as on paper they have a bit more versatility. 

I thought I'd list my initial thoughts, for the wisdom of the fretboard to present itself if there are other thoughts I might be missing or need to know. Bear in mind the only actual strat style guitar I've played was my first guitar which was a cheap supermarket Bobby. For comparison purposes of probably go for a Mexican Strat as they are closest to my price point.

Fender 51:
Pros : available locally at a decent price within budget
Looks less like a Strat than normal
Tele neck which I think is a bit wider and chunkier which I like
Humbucker could be useful for drive
Cons: I'd need to replace the pick guard as it's a bit ugly around the bridge
I had a Squier 51 which was nice enough but was dull as dishwater, a bit like an Astra or Skoda in the car world

Strat:
Pros: more versatility with three pickups and tone knob
Probably have a term
Probably no need to mod anything as the pick guard looks fine
Cons: concerned it might be a bit generic
Are the necks narrower?
Probably slightly more money and not as available at present as the 51 mentioned (as in I don't there is one on here for sale locally)

There's also the common potential drawback with either of these that instead of looking cool with it like Hendrix, Albert Hammond Jr or Buddy Holly, I might look like a dad rocker a la Clapton

Guitar would be used for garage indie style stuff, think white stripes or strokes, some blues and maybe back to like velvet underground etc

Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    I vote strat,

main reason being I don't know what a Fender 51 is
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    edited May 2017
    tony99 said:
    I vote strat,

main reason being I don't know what a Fender 51 is
    Haha! Good point

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-pawn-shop-51-electric-guitar

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    edited May 2017
    After seeing that monstrosity I'd go for a Strat too!

I'd also be a bit more worried about the 'dad rock' image as well with that thing. It's ghastly. :)
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    edited May 2017
    I've tried a Fender '51. Excellent value for money with good pickups. MiJ pups seem to take a lot of flack but the '51 has a Texas Special and Enforcer (with coil split).

It has no tone control though, if you use it a lot then that could be a real detractor. 

Neck didn't feel chucky. Andertons describe it as a U shape but I'd say it's a modern C.

Fit and finish is what I'd expect from USA standard, it's excellent.

The blond with black pickguard looks better imho than the black with white. The pickguard is single ply so a triple would look a bit better. The black with a black pickguard would be best though.

The output jack on the '51 is also on the side, not the pick guard. Which is quite nice.

If you're considering the '51 or a USA strat then I would go '51. The 51 was made in 2011 so not going to be as readily available as the MIM strat. Which spec 51 did you find locally?

edited May 2017
    Thanks @ellwood that's interesting on the playability side, but I'm quite picky on the visual side so would have to disagree on the blonde body or black pick guards! If I got that I'd get one made, three ply white, straighten off the bit around the bridge and probably extend it a bit around the bottom of the control plate thing.

It would be a Mexican Strat that I'd consider not a USA one, preferably in white (I don't think they do yellow). I'm not worth a USA one ability wise, I don't gig either properly so no real point in the extra money
    edited May 2017
    I suppose I could always try to piece together a parts caster using strat body Tele neck, strat controls but my choice of pickups. But I'm crap at diy so that would end badly
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    edited May 2017
    Sassafras said:

I'd also be a bit more worried about the 'dad rock' image as well with that thing. It's ghastly.
    Can't agree more, that '51 really doesn't look cool imho.

I must add though that I go through set stages with strats: first I really want one, then I worry about the dad rock thing, I get one anyway only to end up never playing it live because it doesn't look right (end up back on the tele). Then when I return to the strat in a bid to make things work it lacks the oomph of the tele so I still don't play it. Then I let it gather dust, sell it and then eventually start the whole process all over again! Make sure it really is a strat you want and need.
    Sassafras said:

I'd also be a bit more worried about the 'dad rock' image as well with that thing. It's ghastly.
    Can't agree more, that '51 really doesn't look cool imho.

I must add though that I go through set stages with strats: first I really want one, then I worry about the dad rock thing, I get one anyway only to end up never playing it live because it doesn't look right (end up back on the tele). Then when I return to the strat in a bid to make things work it lacks the oomph of the tele so I still don't play it. Then I let it gather dust, sell it and then eventually start the whole process all over again! Make sure it really is a strat you want and need.
    Yeah it's not really, that is one problem common to any guitar that isn't an Airline I think Haha so that will certainly be born in mind
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    I don't think it looks terrible, or particularly dad-rock - less so than a Strat, in fact - but it is a little like an attempt at copying something by Robin from the 1980s...

The pickguard and neck pickup look cheap and nasty too.

I'd also guess the rotary pickup selector would be annoying - although you could always mod it for a toggle or lever switch in the pickguard and replace the rotary with a tone control. (Although that would require routing.)

If you replaced the pickguard with a pearl or tortoise one without the silly shaping in front of the pickup I think it would look pretty cool actually...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    Definitely no pearl or tortoise going to anywhere near anything I own! That always reminds me of my Nan's sunglasses, no, definitely only block colours for me.

I've just Googled Robin guitars and yes you are right, it is very much a copy of that isn't it. That said, I do definitely think the 51 looks infinitely cooler than a strat, I'm only 30 and a bit of a hipster so it is possible I could get away with it visually if I insisted it was ironically, but strats do kind of give off a middle aged vibe to me unfortunately. That said, they are decent and good sounding and all that which would out weigh the visuals
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Definitely no pearl or tortoise going to anywhere near anything I own! That always reminds me of my Nan's sunglasses, no, definitely only block colours for me.

I've just Googled Robin guitars and yes you are right, it is very much a copy of that isn't it. That said, I do definitely think the 51 looks infinitely cooler than a strat, I'm only 30 and a bit of a hipster so it is possible I could get away with it visually if I insisted it was ironically, but strats do kind of give off a middle aged vibe to me unfortunately. That said, they are decent and good sounding and all that which would out weigh the visuals
    Well 30 is the new middle aged,

so get yourself a stratty, pop on a pair of Roy Orbison style tortoise-shell specs and let the good times roll !!
    tony99 said:

so get yourself a stratty, pop on a pair of Roy Orbison style tortoise-shell specs and let the good times roll !!
    Lol well that's depressing ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    In that case go for a three-ply parchment without the silly shaping. If it was me I'd put a lever switch in the Strat position while I was at it too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    ICBM said:
    In that case go for a three-ply parchment without the silly shaping. If it was me I'd put a lever switch in the Strat position while I was at it too.
    That would improve things. The switch is fine but for people who gig & switch mid song would take practice.
    tony99 said:

Lol well that's depressing ;)
    Little known fact,

Leo Fender designed the stratocaster's famous body contours to accommodate sitting on a Stannah stairlift
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    G&L fallouts have a similar set up to the 51, but done better (IMO). Might be worth consideration.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    Ha! Was asking myself the exact same question and thinking about selling my strat as a result. 

51 has excellent build quality and on paper is a good guitar, but I think it's just missing something. I think it would always feel like a 'second' guitar, an oddity rather than the main show. Plus, something about it doesn't look right. Now that 70s pawn shop strat thinline thing, with the 70s strat neck, that is a thing of beauty. 

I'd seriously consider looking at the Modern Player tele plus as an in-between ground.  It covers tele and strat very well, and is lovely to play.  It'll give you all the sounds of the 51 and the strat combined.  
    Ha! Was asking myself the exact same question and thinking about selling my strat as a result. 

51 has excellent build quality and on paper is a good guitar, but I think it's just missing something. I think it would always feel like a 'second' guitar, an oddity rather than the main show. Plus, something about it doesn't look right. Now that 70s pawn shop strat thinline thing, with the 70s strat neck, that is a thing of beauty. 

I'd seriously consider looking at the Modern Player tele plus as an in-between ground.  It covers tele and strat very well, and is lovely to play.  It'll give you all the sounds of the 51 and the strat combined.  
    Hmm interesting points, I don't want a Tele though ;) otherwise I'd have kept the one I sold to you!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    How about a Nashville Tele. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom