what order to hook up effects

BarneyBarney Frets: 615
I'm using a line 6 M13 ..just wanting to know the best order to put the fx in...ill be using reverb..delay...volume ..and some Eq ..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited February 2014
    In pedal chain I always go: 

Tuner>dirt>delay>modulation>reverb 

The only change to this being when I used a wah pedal which went right after the tuner. 

But it's largely a personal choice.

• BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    d8m;157624" said:
    In pedal chain I always go: 

Tuner>dirt>delay>modulation>reverb 

The only change to this being when I used a wah pedal which went right after the tuner. 

But it's largely a personal choice.
    Thanks...so would a volume boost go at the end of the chain ..
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Yep
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Thanks Viz..I'm a bit new to using multiple fx ...I normally just switch them in and out with fx loop ..
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30880
    Re Vol boost- depends. Do you want to boost the final signal or drive the overdrive pedals with a preboost?

Re Mods after delays- only right if you can mix signal put the mods on the delay trails only. Otherwise whould go before.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage;157968" said:
    Re Vol boost- depends. Do you want to boost the final signal or drive the overdrive pedals with a preboost?

Re Mods after delays- only right if you can mix signal put the mods on the delay trails only. Otherwise whould go before.
    Yeah just a vol boost for solos...I will be getting all the drive from the amp ...it was mainly wheather the delay goes first or the reverb ..and where the EQ would go ..
  • It all depends on your personal taste - try both ways.

I try to think if it in a physical sense - I put my reverb last, since it's trying to replicate a location - room/hall/cave etc - you'd get natural reverb if you were playing the guitar in each of these places - you woulnd't get natural delay.

So i go tuner -> dirt -> boost (as I only want my raw sound boosted) -> modulation -> delay (as I want my modulated sound to be repeated, I don't want my repeated sound modulated, although this is something that a lot of people love to hear) -> reverb