I was chatting to a guitar tech today about Gibson guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    sev112 said:
    Id be interested in how many of any particular guitars a nominal guitar tech "sees" on a regular basis

i find it very hard to believe that the nominal tech sees sufficient to be able to make a valid judgment, as opposed to a perception

Believe me we get to see quite a lot of Gibsons but only a small number compared to what is sold.

A thought I had is this ....surely a repairer or tech will tend to see a lot more of the new guitars that are not brilliant and need some attention and TLC to make them be good players. 
    If you buy a new guitar and it's perfect you won't need to take it to a tech, unless you are swapping pickups or other modifications.

By contrast older guitars will come in for servicing if frets are worn out or parts have worn such as tuners etc, or if the guitar has had an accident. Older guitars will maybe have settled down or maybe already be seen by another tech in the past.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited May 2017
    People just call out the period that comes after the period of the Gibson they own.

Owners of 60's Gibson's will tell you that everything since the late 60's has been pap, owners of 70's Gibson's will tell you everything from 80 onwards is shite, owners of 80's Gibson's will tell you that all 90's onward Gibson's are bad.

It's the sort of unfounded shite that sellers usually spout to try and sell the Gibson they're selling (that is from the best period of Gibson's made, they hasten to add, and they're mad to be selling it)

"Selling a Les Paul from 1987, last of the true LPs made before one armed John took over in the factory."

There are good and bad guitars from all periods, from all makers from all of time.

People do this sort of thing in all walks of life, it's like a confirmation bias, they're trying to further validate the particular thing that they've got or thing they were a part of.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • Anecdotal, but I remember a few years back seeing a custom shop 335 which wasn't finished on the f holes... Just drips of cherry lacquer, some of which had dripped into the body itself. 

There was also cracking around the bridge. 

So you could see the nasty plywood on the edges of the f-holes (not that plywood is a bad material, it's vintage correct and... It's a 335! But plywood is ugly) and the drips, the cracks... 

About 2.5k at the time. 

However, I'd heard Gibson qc has since improved and certainly I've tried some budget models (like the les paul tribute and the faded T) that were excellent (although some better than others). Try before you buy, as it is with any manufacturer I guess. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3745
    Clearly, you can't compare factory setup today with 20 years ago. So there must be an element of subjectivity here.

However, I have bought three new Gibsons since 2015 which all required significant levels of setup, especially levelling frets, etc. - two of which were guitars costing over £1,000. My 2007 Les Paul Standard (pre-owned), when I took it for the mandatory setup, apparently required less work. But then what work was done since 'birth'?

I'm sure this thread could go on for quite some time but interested in hearing experiences of those who have worked on Les Paul's for over ten years since new.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited May 2017
    Believe me we get to see quite a lot of Gibsons but only a small number compared to what is sold.

A thought I had is this ....surely a repairer or tech will tend to see a lot more of the new guitars that are not brilliant and need some attention and TLC to make them be good players. 
    If you buy a new guitar and it's perfect you won't need to take it to a tech, unless you are swapping pickups or other modifications.

By contrast older guitars will come in for servicing if frets are worn out or parts have worn such as tuners etc, or if the guitar has had an accident. Older guitars will maybe have settled down or maybe already be seen by another tech in the past.
    I agree with you, and I defer to the experts. It would be good to hear from any luthiers who post on here. I don't have any opinions on the new v old Gibson's at all. All I know is that you can pick up the older Gibson's at decent prices, and after what this particular luthier said it may encourage me to do just that.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
    I speak as I find and don't pay much notice to other people's opinions. My 2016 Gibson 50's LP Tribute, despite the low price tag, is the best guitar I've ever played and I can't put it down. The finish is great and it sounds amazing. I can't compare with other Gibsons but for me it is an awesome guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Jack_ said:
    People just call out the period that comes after the period of the Gibson they own.

Owners of 60's Gibson's will tell you that everything since the late 60's has been pap, owners of 70's Gibson's will tell you everything from 80 onwards is shite, owners of 80's Gibson's will tell you that all 90's onward Gibson's are bad.

It's the sort of unfounded shite that sellers usually spout to try and sell the Gibson they're selling (that is from the best period of Gibson's made, they hasten to add, and they're mad to be selling it)

"Selling a Les Paul from 1987, last of the true LPs made before one armed John took over in the factory."

There are good and bad guitars from all periods, from all makers from all of time.

People do this sort of thing in all walks of life, it's like a confirmation bias, they're trying to further validate the particular thing that they've got or thing they were a part of.
    Absolutely spot on!
    lonestar said:
    Jack_ said:

Absolutely spot on!
    But a luthier doesn't own the guitar, so he doesn't have a horse in the race, he's just the repair guy giving his professional opinion.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    There's plenty of excess (presumably hide) glue evident around the kerfing on my '64 335. And the bridge post holes were drilled in the wrong place - the dowel filling them is clearly visible through the original finish.

It may have a Brazilian rosewood board - but constructionally it's not even close to an average PRS....
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    How does it sound?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Freebird said:
    lonestar said:
    Jack_ said:

Absolutely spot on!
    But a luthier doesn't own the guitar, so he doesn't have a horse in the race, he's just the repair guy giving his professional opinion.
    Bet he'll have owned guitars from the period he rates, during his history.
    edited May 2017
    Jack_ said:
    Freebird said:
    lonestar said:
    Jack_ said:

Absolutely spot on!
    Bet he'll have owned guitars from the period he rates, during his history.
    He will have also played every guitar that has been through his workshop, at it's optimal setting (not that I am defending the luthiers judgement)  =)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    cruxiform said:
    I speak as I find and don't pay much notice to other people's opinions. My 2016 Gibson 50's LP Tribute, despite the low price tag, is the best guitar I've ever played and I can't put it down. The finish is great and it sounds amazing. I can't compare with other Gibsons but for me it is an awesome guitar. 
    I feel the same about my 2016 60s tribute T. I took it to show my mate who's been playing, Fettling and occasionally building guitars for over 40 years. He's got a load of really good guitars, including a 25/50 les paul, 335, another Gibson semi, Clapton strat, various Martin acoustics a Taylor, and a j200. He thought it was a lovely guitar, and a total steal, for the money. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    How does it sound?
    Fantastic....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    My 94 studio is a great guitar. I might be wrong but the 94 model was highly regarded. My 2015 Gibson is fine now but was sent for repair within a week due to cutting out - cant understand why it got through QC but its ok now and plays well.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I remember the late 80s where they were no good and it was only the 60s that were any cop
    then the 90s the 70s ones are the ones to go for
    and so on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    melod said:
    But on the other hand people need to take into account a few things that maybe are not so clear to people not old enough in the 80s 90s.

At the time, there were basically two lines, the studio and the standard. I was not born in the U.K. But the sight of any les Paul was an event and I remember I used to press my face against the window shop and not even dream of asking to try it. My dad had to get a bank loan to afford it. Buying a standard was pretty much the equivalent of 3-4K today when comparing to the basic salary.

fast forward in 2017, I have lost track of how many Les Paul lines are out there but they are as easily found as anything and they surely cost much less on average to start with. I am pretty sure 3-4K still gets you a nice les Paul.

So true. More so 70's 80's
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
    usedtobe said:
    cruxiform said:
    I feel the same about my 2016 60s tribute T. I took it to show my mate who's been playing, Fettling and occasionally building guitars for over 40 years. He's got a load of really good guitars, including a 25/50 les paul, 335, another Gibson semi, Clapton strat, various Martin acoustics a Taylor, and a j200. He thought it was a lovely guitar, and a total steal, for the money. 
    Great to hear that mate. 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I've got a 2016 Studio Faded, so pretty much the cheapest Les Paul. It's fantastic. 
    I usually have to tweak my guitars a little when i bring them home but this one needed nothing. Action, intonation, even the nut, all spot on. 
     I've shown it to a couple of friends of mine that have been around the block a bit and they both agree that it's bang on.

I'm tempted to get another one, maybe the 50's Tribute.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited May 2017
    As much as I really enjoyed my 2001 SG standard. My current 2017 Les Paul Classic runs rings around it for build quality, fit & finish etc.

Its impossible to gauge, as Gibson seem to have always employed Stevie Wonder in final QC.

I think the inconsistency is just in their brand DNA. Whereas I've never owned a Yamaha that didn't impress me.