Daisy chain question

lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I have just bought a Vitoos DC8 which has 8 outputs but i have 11 pedals. I have used a daisy chain on the power out of my Polytune using a 5 way daisy chain, going to two pedals ... EHX  Soul Food and MXR Phase 90. Is it safe having 3 empty power outlets on the daisy chain?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Yeah that's totally fine.  I had quite a lot of noise with my polytune on a daisy chain so it has its own isolated output now but if it works for you then go for it. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I put old cable offcuts on the unused plugs just in case.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27986
    Put something over the ends, otherwise they can short on pedal casings or similar. Otherwise fine.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    edited May 2017
    Thanks. I'll put some electrical tape over them. I'll get a 3 way daisy chain for a better fit but just needed it ready for tomorrow 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1624

Don't use PVC electrical tape, it goes sticky and horrible. I use decorators paper masking tape for ad hoc, low voltage protection. Note...LOW voltage! Not to be used at mains or DC HT voltages but then neither of those should be taped anyway.

Dave.

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Isn't taping up the unused ends is a bit excessive? Never had an issue leaving unused daisy chain plugs bare, no fires or explosions.... yet.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Octafish said:
    Isn't taping up the unused ends is a bit excessive? Never had an issue leaving unused daisy chain plugs bare, no fires or explosions.... yet.
    I've occasionally had an unused plug bump up against a metal pedal enclosure which kills power to everything on the daisy chain. If you don't care about the possibility of that happening in the middle of a gig then yeah, it might seem excessive.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Octafish said:
    I've occasionally had an unused plug bump up against a metal pedal enclosure which kills power to everything on the daisy chain. If you don't care about the possibility of that happening in the middle of a gig then yeah, it might seem excessive.
    Fair enough, never had that happen myself at home or at a gig, although I do make sure the daisy chain cable is laid out neatly.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I once had an unused plug short through a pedal case which made the three other pedals on the chain turn off, so it can happen. Though I admit they didn't catch fire or explode.
    Cirrus said:
    I once had an unused plug short through a pedal case which made the three other pedals on the chain turn off, so it can happen. Though I admit they didn't catch fire or explode.
    I clearly ain't lived.... =)