Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Haggling

What's Hot
underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
So generally I buy online or from private sellers, but due to not really finding what I want used I'm probably going to buy a new Les Paul.

Either it's going to be a goldtop or the vermillion slash one (i'm too old to be called a fan boy) Now my options for the latter are making a drive from South Wales to pmt in Bristol, or towards the Midlands even.

So do you think there will be much in the way of haggle room, especially on what is suppose to be a limited run of guitars. It'd be paid in cash which of course always helps.

Any thoughts or experince with shops the Midlands or Bristol way and what they are like with a cheeky offer.

I see them being sold on eBay for £400 less but not sure I want to go there.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Yes it's always worth a go. Many stores do 0% finance over 9 months. If you don't take it out they generally give you a bit off .
    At the very least if your spending a lot you should get some packs of strings or a decent cable.

I always ask and always get something.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Everyone knows you try a Gibson before you buy it.

Print out several web offers to take with you, BUT remember high street shops have overheads that web box shifters don't and you are taking advantage of trying their stock. So ask politely and decide if you like a) the guitar. b) the offer. c) don't be fobbed off with a free cable and set of strings if the price difference is 'significant'. If we all screw actual shops soon there won't be any so be prepared to pay a premium but don't get shafted.

HTH

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PMT will price match, but I doubt you'll get much knocked off.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Yeah its going to be a suck and see kind of thing with the bit that sucks being the bloody drive :D

Most places have 1 vermillion in stock, but my back up plan would be a cheaper goldtop, May pop to Bristol tomorrow and take a look.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    edited February 2014
    I'd say it's a buyer's markets at the moment.

You'd be amazed how much you can save by bargaining on the telephone...especially if the shop is not part of a large chain. I've often saved myself 10% or more at the point of closing the sale.

Sometimes you may find that the shop dare not move on the price of the amp or guitar (due to supplier pressure) but will 'throw in' goodies to sweeten the deal.  

I remember knocking down a £1200 item to £1000 a few moons ago. The shop manager completely refused to drop to a grand at which point I counted the sponds out on the counter to prove I was serious. He buckled when I started to put the dosh back in my wallet ...and I got the deal ;)

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    I think I'd be tempted to hand my cash over if they came down a couple hundred not that it will make the wife any happier but well we've all been there
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited February 2014

I'd call first and ask what's the lowest they will do before you travel.  Coda Music always give a price or a very strong suggestion for payment without finance. I don't think 'cash' as a format speaks discount these days, the new cash is anything other than finance.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I have shopped at PMT since they opened their first tiny shop in Southend-on-Sea..  I have always been able to do a decent deal with them, even arranging in principle what I wanted to buy and pay over the 'phone first.  Never hurts to ask first before making the journey.
    Cheers guys I will ring around tomorrow the shops in reach on a Sunday and see what's what price wise, May try an eBay seller for a visit if there's no joy.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I'd wait until something you want turns up used.
    A bit of patience might save you £500-1000.
    I've been patient for days now God damn it :-O ha

I work a 6 day week every week of the year apart from Christmas, worse still it's a business me and my wife own so I have very little time to try things out or keep an eye out, it's why most guitars I buy via mail order. I'm a child in a poorly maintained adult body, I want one and want one now *stamps feet*
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited February 2014
    PMT will price match, but I doubt you'll get much knocked off.

I had a conversation with PMT and got the impression they will complete on price. This was a £4.5k guitar. I told them what the Thomann price was..... :-O ....and he didn't say no. But the guitar did not quite live up to expectations when it was handed to me so that is as far as we got.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5015
    edited February 2014
    octatonic said:
    I'd wait until something you want turns up used.
    Nice R8 in the classifieds...

:)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    underdog said:
    I've been patient for days now God damn it :-O ha

I work a 6 day week every week of the year apart from Christmas, worse still it's a business me and my wife own so I have very little time to try things out or keep an eye out, it's why most guitars I buy via mail order. I'm a child in a poorly maintained adult body, I want one and want one now *stamps feet*
    Poor petal.
  • Was there nothing decent in Cranes or Gamlins?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Skipped said:
    PMT will price match, but I doubt you'll get much knocked off.

I had a conversation with PMT and got the impression they will complete on price. This was a £4.5k guitar. I told them what the Thomann price was..... :-O ....and he didn't say no. But the guitar did not quite live up to expectations when it was handed to me so that is as far as we got.
    I just said that they'll price match. :)
    maltingsaudio;158158" said:
    Was there nothing decent in Cranes or Gamlins?
    They don't open on a Sunday sadly and I really am limited to shopping on a Sunday, not been to either in years, though as a teen spending a Sat afternoon drooling in Cranes was the best.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    I've previously managed to successfully haggle about 15 % both at PMT (footswitches and cables) and at GuitarGuitar (for an amp).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I heard Cranes had gone bust... Was my info wrong?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Good to know that PMT haggle. Not that I've bought anything new for a while now...