Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Haggling

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    I haven't seen The Haggling - I enjoyed The Killing...and The Bridge though...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I think it probably depends on the guitar but by means of example of margins, I bought a Gibson Custom Shop 330 for about £700 more than I needed to spend - I saw several retailers putting them out that much below what I'd paid just about 12 months after I'd bought mine.

I've previously, easily, gotten 10% to 15% off advertised prices.

After my shafting, I would now *never* buy a new guitar unless I thought I was going to keep it until death :-)
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreddieVanHalen said: I would now *never* buy a new guitar unless I thought I was going to keep it until death :-)
    Me too - I could never say for sure that I was going to keep a guitar until death, so I would never buy a new one. Why throw money away? 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I don't buy to think what if , I buy to enjoy and hope it's one of the keepers, and sometimes what you want isn't available used, though yes I do often buy used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Definitely worth haggling, although as has been said above, what you can get in cash may be limited.  I once got 10 sets of strings chucked in, and another time I get £100 worth of work in the shop's workshop. - which I used on work on a completely different guitar.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    underdog;159580" said:
    I don't buy to think what if.
    Me neither, I only buy guitars I actually like.
    I was told I was a mug for buying a new Gibson, but that money is long forgotten and the resale value of my (now fairly battered and gig-worn) Goldtop is irrelevant to me.

Take a Saturday afternoon off work, Cranes has some lovely stuff on your doorstep.
    Can't do a Sat busiest day of the week for me (I'm a body piercer so non school days are where the money is to be made) May try and nip off one morning in the week and take a look though. Pmt have got back to me and said they will negotiate on price but no indication of how much.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Always get a discount when buying new and not on an installment plan. It's a buyers market as someone said earlier. Try it, play it cool, haggle and then if the price is right and you're happy, buy it.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    The one who sets the price is the one willing to walk away from the deal.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I saved myself the effort in the end and bought from someone directly importing them and saved close to £500
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    impmann said:
    I heard Cranes had gone bust... Was my info wrong?
    No, they're still going, fortunately.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited February 2014
    I think it is well worth supporting your local dealer. If you have a local dealer worth supporting.
    If Coda Music was my local dealer I would be supporting them. They fit my definition of a Proper Guitar Shop. They take trades (formerly known as Part Exchange) and they sell that used gear in the shop.
    Yes! They actually have used gear in the shop!
    I have been browsing through their used stock on the website and there is loads of droolworthy amps and guitars. If I lived anywhere near I would be in there Right Now. If you live near Coda - cherish them.

So am I saying that a dealer who seems to be not interested in Trades is not a Proper Guitar Shop? Yes I am.
    Any nominations? I am very suspicious of the fact that Dawsons Music have never had a second hand guitar on their website ever AFAIK.

When I was at school we were taught that matter cannot be destroyed - it can only be turned into a different form of matter. Maybe something sinister is happening to part ex guitars in the North West.