Another charity shop find

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
Picked this up yesterday - a late-60s Italian-made (Eko) Eros, or 'E-Ros' as the logo says. Needs a little tidying up, but it's structurally sound and in pretty good condition. Still has an ancient note chart stuck to the side of the neck… I might leave it on, it's almost part of the character of it...

£20 including a reasonably usable stand :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Nice. Exotic lookin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Does it have the same built like a tank build quality of the Ekos?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Sassafras said:
    Does it have the same built like a tank build quality of the Ekos?
    Yes, absolutely! It's essentially an Eko in all but name. I will have to check that the neck joint hasn't moved though - I don't think the 14th fret should be quite that far into the body - they often do, but it's an easy fix if it has.

It sounds surprisingly good too - at least as much as I can tell with five ancient strings on it. Very warm and woody, for an overbuilt all-ply guitar.

I dont think I'll be keeping it though, once I've sorted it out - the neck is fairly large, and I really don't get on with those. Luckily this seems to be fashionable these days so it should be easy enough to sell.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

They do sound surprisingly good for such solidly built guitars.
    Not at all bad for 20 quid, and you're doing your bit for the disadvantaged.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:

I dont think I'll be keeping it though, once I've sorted it out - the neck is fairly large, and I really don't get on with those. Luckily this seems to be fashionable these days so it should be easy enough to sell.
    Noooooo! You've turned into a bedroom flipper/dealer!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Bridgehouse said:

Noooooo! You've turned into a bedroom flipper/dealer!!
    Hardly. I'll be selling it through the shop :).

I get much more money for these old things that way - prices that would be laughed at on here for some of them. There's a real nostalgia market for them if they're made into good playable instruments, and a lot of other people will be surprised how good they sound.

Sassafras said:

I like to make sure it goes both ways - the local charity shops know me well and I'll also help them out if there's something which isn't of any interest to me, but needs fixing for them to sell - typically cheap old classical guitars with broken machineheads and the like… I do those for free.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Sassafras said:

I like to make sure it goes both ways - the local charity shops know me well and I'll also help them out if there's something which isn't of any interest to me, but needs fixing for them to sell - typically cheap old classical guitars with broken machineheads and the like… I do those for free.

Same here. Helps me sleep at night.
     :) 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited June 2017
    I've got a 12 string Eros jumbo with the same burst finish and rosette , it was my first decent guitar. As you say, very similar quality to an Eko. The neck on mine is warped to hell (I was learning about truss rod adjustment and completely overcooked it) but I've kept it for nostalgic reasons. Mine's got an aluminium nut and bridge saddle.