Any Gretsch users out there, I think I'm getting seriously addicted to Gretschs...

What's Hot

Comments

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Corvus said:
    TheMarlin said:
    TonyR said:
    Here are my three beauties:

I had a Jag Tan Annie like the one on the left,

Paul that was yours :) it was mine, then sold on to Tony. Truly great guitar.

It's an awesome guitar and the best sounding out of the three.

There's just something special about the whole playing experience of that particular guitar.
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    I've been toying with the idea of a Gretsch, don't know much about them and can't stretch to one of the top end ones.

The G5420TTV looks nice at a reasonable price, would this be a good guitar?

These look the nuts... almost bought one myself til I found my 6119 for just a bit more.

Pro tip: if you're buying blind, DV247's price is way lower than Guitarguitars. Or see if GG will match...
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    Corvus said:
    TheMarlin said:
    TonyR said:
    Here are my three beauties:

I had a Jag Tan Annie like the one on the left,

Paul that was yours :) it was mine, then sold on to Tony. Truly great guitar.

Love the big-bodies but in the end the upper-fret access makes them niche for me, and in herd-thinning they went.
    I'm Gretschless but Filtertrons are my favourite pickup, got some in my last home-build.

The new/forthcoming double-cut Electros look interesting - centre-block, narrow head, half-moon markers, and a short neck heel/joint which is a bonus over my long-term object of lust, the Country Gent.

Hey Bill. Being ostracised from 'the other place', I'm out of touch with the new stuff coming through.  Got a link to the new electro?
    say hi to the guys at GT from me. 

M :)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I've not been on there either for at least 6 months now Paul. I got a email with the new stuff in, I'll see if I haven't deleted it and forward it on. More mix & match type things, EMs getting more trad-looking but with centre-blocks in some and stuff like that.
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    I had the opportunity to by a 1959 black duo-jet, which has clearly had a neck reset, but the reset work itself didn't seem to be very good which leads me to question the playability of the guitar, whether the scale has been properly preserved and the fact that the guitar was too expensive for the work that it has had, didn't help. So looks like Stephen Stern is the way to go.
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited May 2017
    Bought this a few weeks back.  It plays beautifully, and the pickups sound great.  And despite being hollow, doesn't even feed back too badly.  The Electromatics they are making right now seem to be pretty good guitars.

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    I don't see any Penguins in here - they are the supposed 'holy grail' of Gretschs.  Personally I have 2 cheaper range G's - a 5238T and the Patrick Stump Corvette.  I have also had a Billy Bo custom built (not Gretsch though).  Love the sound and feel of Gretschs
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1707
    entee said:
    I don't see any Penguins in here - they are the supposed 'holy grail' of Gretschs.  Personally I have 2 cheaper range G's - a 5238T and the Patrick Stump Corvette.  I have also had a Billy Bo custom built (not Gretsch though).  Love the sound and feel of Gretschs

It's the original penuins that some concider the holy grail.
    I guess simular to the 58/59/60 gibson Les pauls.

There were very few made n when the odd one comes up for sale their silly money. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    entee said:
    You see a penguin to me is just a duo jet with an oversized headstock. I like it but its not my favourite

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    i'll be adding a penguin to the thread quite soon :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    @Cabicular more on that gold sparkle jet plzzz
    @Cabicular more on that gold sparkle jet plzzz
    What do you want to know? or just more pron of it ;)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    Oof. That is gorgeous. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    That is delicious & cheers for the pics, When was it made?