Chapman Guitars

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
edited February 2014 in Guitar
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Not so keen on that but I really like these:

Don't like that they've kept the standard, cramped Tele-style control plate on the second one though... they've changed pretty much everything else about the original Tele design but retained its biggest weakness!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm with bucket, it doesn't look right... 

I don't have a massive problem with a Tele control plate layout, unless I want to use the tone control, in which case, it's a bit of a pain. 

Love the strat alike though, and the neck heel on the singlecut looks pretty nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    This the only Chapman guitar I've really liked the look of. I would put a bright multi coloured pickup and knob on it for a Jason Becker type vibe. Then I would crack on with my mid-life crisis.

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I like it, finaly a model with fret markers!
  • The Gold Top - eww.

The black in the cutaway, compare that to the colour of the back/sides... it looks really out of place! And the colour/finish on the back of the neck and the way it's joined? Just looks so weird. Sorry. Not a fan. It probably plays really good though!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    His ML-1 looks okay. I do like the ethos of designing guitars by web vote. It's hard to do anything new as far as guitar design goes, but at least he and his backers have got a slightly different take on things which gives them a USP.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    I hope Superdrug start their own line in guitars soon too...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I don't have a massive problem with a Tele control plate layout, unless I want to use the tone control, in which case, it's a bit of a pain. 
    I find it a pain trying to use the pickup switch. I just knock the volume control, and sometimes knock off the plastic tip by accident.

Is it just me that has this problem? Seems like a bit of a flaw in the design to me.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    No thanks. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    Not crazy about the gold top although most other Chapmans look OK but I really don't like having no fret markers. Is that just me?
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2014
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • HI 
    I really want to like these but went to Andertons back in December thought I might walk away with a Chapman.
    Sadly the HSS hog body I picked up nearly put my shoulder out. I have been tempted by the swamp ash but not been back. 

In the end I think I am more in love with the idea than the actual implementation. 

• i think the dark cutaway on the singlecut looks awful, before when it was all the same colour you couldn't really see the outline of it, but these dark back ones just look awful to me.

The lack of fret markers would drive me potty too

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    dindude said:
    This the only Chapman guitar I've really liked the look of. I would put a bright multi coloured pickup and knob on it for a Jason Becker type vibe. Then I would crack on with my mid-life crisis.

Agreed, the cretinous 14 year old that still looms large within is very much in love with that guitar...
    Mind you £500 for that or another tom for the Feline that Alex has up for sale in the Classifieds...

• gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    No, I still fancy that ML2 Goldtop despite (or perhaps because of) everyone saying it's awful :)

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I like the one that his guitarist designed, it looks like good value for money. But I watched some of his band on YouTube today & I dunno there's something a bit.... Contrived dare I say it? It's all very music school/ guitar shop worker polite & almost too wholesome. I'd almost label it librarian metal. I dunno it was very well done but nothing amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom