More On CITES - nothing concrete but shows a 'process'

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
edited May 2017 in Guitar tFB Trader
http://www.mia.org.uk/2017/05/rosewood-ivory-nickel-update/

a recent meeting between UK Musical Instrument bodies and CITES authorities - nothing concrete but at least discussions are taking place - what this might lead to we don't know - a few interesting points on acquiring appropriate paperwork on new goods imported into the UK/EU

Did not realise issues taking place regarding nickel
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Although the bit in Nickel is rather interesting. 

Nit it quite sure how the MI industry avoided the restrictions back in the early 00s. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited May 2017
    A nickel restriction makes a hot mess of everything... fretwire, tuners, strings, bridges, maybe pickups... 

"2112" was a warning, not an instruction manual...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    A nickel restriction makes a hot mess of everything... fretwire, tuners, strings, bridges, maybe pickups... 

sorry - what do you mean 2112 
    edited May 2017
    Whitecat said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2112_(album)#Concept_and_storyline

(edit: oops, link doesn't parse correctly, you'll have to copy & paste the whole thing)
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Whitecat said:

Forget about your silly whim
    It doesn't fit the planguitars4you said:
    Whitecat said:

edited May 2017

Nit it quite sure how the MI industry avoided the restrictions back in the early 00s. 
    As I understand it those restrictions were more against manufacture rather than movement and even then it was targeted at the jewelry industry more than anything - nickel on skin contact causes problems...
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited May 2017
    Whitecat said:

Was that a Rush job by @Whitecat ;;;.... 
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:

As I understand it those restrictions were more against manufacture rather than movement and even then it was targeted at the jewelry industry more than anything - nickel on skin contact causes problems...
    This is just from memory but wasn't it targeted at body jewellery? At the time the majority of body jewellery was made from 316L stainless steel, which contains nickel.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Maybe a really daft question, but is Ebony included in these restrictions, or was it already restricted? I.e. Could I import an ebony fretboarded guitar from the US without issue?
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    Maybe a really daft question, but is Ebony included in these restrictions, or was it already restricted? I.e. Could I import an ebony fretboarded guitar from the US without issue?
    no restrictions with regards to buying and selling such a guitar with an ebony - there are some restrictions I believe on the supply of ebony from certain countries and certainly supply appears to be low - But to buy and sell say any LP Custom, from any era, then no restrictions from any country like the USA to the UK - I believe there has been talk amongst some builders about changing to ebony as currently it doe snot need a CITES certificate
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    dindude said:
    no restrictions with regards to buying and selling such a guitar with an ebony - there are some restrictions I believe on the supply of ebony from certain countries and certainly supply appears to be low - But to buy and sell say any LP Custom, from any era, then no restrictions from any country like the USA to the UK - I believe there has been talk amongst some builders about changing to ebony as currently it doe snot need a CITES certificate
    Cool, thanks. Seems odd really, I always thought Ebony was more endangered than rosewood.
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    dindude said:
    Cool, thanks. Seems odd really, I always thought Ebony was more endangered than rosewood.
    there are other FB members who buy wood who can give you better info than me but we all know GIbson have had to look elsewhere for a while - Fender and PRS have barely ever used it, so Gibson are the traditional big users from the past