SORTED....Line 6 M5

What's Hot
CastroCastro Frets: 512
edited May 2017 in FX
Hey people what's the M5 like for reverbs?

I need a reverb pedal that will allow me to store half a dozen favourite reverbs that I can switch between when playing live. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I don't know about the M5 but the Zoom Multi-stomps can store presets and sound very good 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It's solid if not spectacular.

If you're looking for big atmospheric ambient reverbs you might actually be better off with the Zoom even if I suspect the quality might be lesser the choice is greater
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 883
    Zoom cdr 70 all the way

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5137
    The M5 certainly does the job for me. It'll cover "normal" spring, plate and hall reverb as well as big ambient sounds, shimmer and particle 'verbs. I don't tend to have the ability to compare similar sounds from different pedals but nothing on the M5 sounds bad to me. 

Being able to access all the other stuff on the M5 as well is what makes it a winner for me- good modulation sounds and odd filtery, synthy stuff etc, easy access to tap tempo, expression pedal control and MIDI. I've got mine set up in a loop switcher that moves it from the loop to the front of the amp depending on which effect I'm using. I'm tempted to get another one and hook it up the same way. 

Full disclosure: the M5 doesn't like being on a daisy chain- needs its own PSU or a 500mA isolated feed from whatever PSU you use.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    If you like the Zoom G3N for reverbs, I'll have one for sale at the end of the week.
  • The M5 is good, and the plate sound is perfect imo for most reverb needs. 

But it's far better for delay than reverb - some of the delays are spectacular. 

I use a digitech polara for reverb now and, although not expression controllable, the basic sounds are a bit nicer. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    It's OK, but you can do better. 

The Zoom CDR or Digitech Polara are both much nicer.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I'm really impressed with the verbs on. My m5, it's a great all around pedal. 
    It's OK, but you can do better. 

The Zoom CDR or Digitech Polara are both much nicer.

But the Polara won't save half a dozen presets, which was what the OP asked for. 

There's not very many units that do fit that bill and don't cost silly money. Aside from the Zoom and the M5 you'd probably have to go for multi-effects or a rack (plenty of older rack 'verbs available for Zoom/M5 money).

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Takes up a lot of space does the M5.
    sgosden said:
    That it does, but nothing else that costs what it costs does what it does, and it being big (and the ugliest pedal on my board according to Mrs_bob) is a small downside IMO.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CastroCastro Frets: 512
    Thank you all for your comments which have really helped. 

I've just managed to pick up an M5 for £62 and if all I use it for is reverb, it's still a bargain.

And if I don't like it? It'll be posted here in a few days.

:o)
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    I'm interested in these too. Currently have a Neunaber Slate which is great but will need an extra dongle to make it MIDI and obviously is £150 vs £62 etc...
    ^ do try the other stuff out too. It has some really interesting stuff in there.

Worth trying it with an expression pedal too.

I will investigate the tremolo sounds as that my dissuade me from spending £250 on a Stone Deaf Tremotron.
    Nice. What the manual doesn't tell you (and which is really useful for tap tempo tremolo) is that if you hit the tap tempo button once it restarts the LFO, which should put the "on" and "off" parts of the wave back in line with the beat if they stray.

Cool !
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Castro said:

I've just managed to pick up an M5 for £62 and if all I use it for is reverb, it's still a bargain.

just sold mine for 40... I think I ripped myself off
    Bloody hell £40 is generous.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Full disclosure: the M5 doesn't like being on a daisy chain- needs its own PSU or a 500mA isolated feed from whatever PSU you use.
    It doesn't actually use 500mA.  I can't remember off the top of my head what it does use, but I'm certain it's less than 400mA.  I used it on the 400mA outputs of a Hot Stone Deluxe.  If you google it there are people on forums who are getting away with less than that.

sgosden said:

It does have a tuner in it, so you can take the tuner off the board.  Used like that it's not a bad use of space.