Anyone keep buying more guitars to keep the interest going? ( and failed)

What's Hot
ac30manac30man Frets: 478
Does this sound familiar to anyone? For a long time now I have been more interested in acquiring more guitars, amps and bits than actually playing the things. I worked hard over the years and I'm now lucky enought to own the guitars and amps I always wanted. I thought I had serious G.A.S but now have sadly come to the conclusion that I just have no interest in playing guitar anymore. I just buy more stuff to try and rekindle the feeling playing used to give me. The buzz lasts for a week or two then it's back to searching for something else I dont need. A never ending cycle. I tried a long break but it still does not interest me. Time to bite the bullet and move on! Just wondered if anyone else has felt like this? 

Thanks for listening!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Do you play live/with others?

It can really rekindle the passion and let you concentrate on the music not the gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    There is nowt wrong with being a collector as long as you're honest about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • ac30manac30man Frets: 478
    Do you play live/with others?

It can really rekindle the passion and let you concentrate on the music not the gear.
    Hi. I don't really get the time anymore to play in a band. My work is sometimes short notice response, so it means I would be a bit unreliable and that's not really fair to others. I always loved playing along to music at home but not anymore. I lost the end of my finger on my fretting hand which holds me back and makes it impossible to play some chords. It just mutes other strings or can't reach the note. This happened before i started playing which 30 years ago this month.  I stopped for about 10 years of that time though haha. 
    cheers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fftc said:
    Never looked at it like that, but you're right! I have no intention of selling up. Would you mind telling my long suffering wife collecting is good lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    ac30man said:
    fftc said:
    Never looked at it like that, but you're right! I have no intention of selling up. Would you mind telling my long suffering wife collecting is good lol
    Just point at her jewellery box. She should get the message!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader

I've done the opposite, trimmed down and ended up with a small core of what I really want. Well sort of. Money permitting I'd have a shitload of guitars & amps, a studio, a bin-bag full of charlie, and a dog that can skin up with one paw while changing strings with the other, but hey. Having a small set with different sounds & responses means just reach for one that suits the mood and play, without gear getting in the way of the process.

I'm also a bit challenged in the finger dept but have adapted around it. In fact it made me work all the harder at it but I'm kind of contrary & stubborn so that probably helped.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fftc said:
    ac30man said:
    fftc said:
    Just point at her jewellery box. She should get the message!
    Haha. To be fair she has always been very supportive and encouraging. I do ignore the one in one out policy she created though
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    ac30man said
    I lost the end of my finger on my fretting hand which holds me back and makes it impossible to play some chords. It just mutes other strings or can't reach the note. This happened before i started playing which 30 years ago this month.  I stopped for a
    cheers
    This sounds like a perfect reason to start getting interested in synths
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    edited May 2017
    I've never been too bad giving in to GAS, although I always have it.

Gonna sell a couple and get down to just my strat and my amp, then maybe, just maybe I'll buy a les paul, 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    ... or Django Reinhardt.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited May 2017
    At least you only have one expensive hobby! My bikes are still worth more than my guitars at the moment. And my climbing gear is worth more than the bikes! 

[Img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0899/9232/products/my_biggest_fear_is_that_when_i_die_my_wife_will_sell_my_bicycles_for_what_i_told_her_they_cost_-_white_grande.jpg?v=1474007616[/img]

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    Yes that sums up my gear buying over the last decade. 

I'm gradually selling off the unplayed ones though.

In the last couple of months I've sold 4 guitars and my bank account is much healthier! I say is - I guess was because the cash has been used elsewhere.

I've still got at least another 2 to sell.

I do have a custom build I'm waiting for -but after that it will be a one in one out situation. That's what I'm telling myself anyway! 

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Guilty as charged!
     :/ 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Corvus said:

I've done the opposite, trimmed down and ended up with a small core of what I really want. Well sort of. Money permitting I'd have a shitload of guitars & amps, a studio, a bin-bag full of charlie, and a dog that can skin up with one paw while changing strings with the other, but hey. Having a small set with different sounds & responses means just reach for one that suits the mood and play, without gear getting in the way of the process.

I'm also a bit challenged in the finger dept but have adapted around it. In fact it made me work all the harder at it but I'm kind of contrary & stubborn so that probably helped.

Wise words Bill.  (Apart from the bin liner and dog lol) Back in '93 I bought a new Lp standard and had a RAT pedal and korg ac30 and 2 leads. That was it. Got everything I needed from that setup really and played more. Dont think that would help now though. Wish I had a stubborn streak! 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If you don't want to sell them you could donate them to charity. I'm thinking in particular of the Sassafras Foundation for Needy Guitarist.
    ... or Django Reinhardt.
    Im more Bingo Brownfart these days

At least you only have one expensive hobby! My bikes are still worth more than my guitars at the moment. And my climbing gear is worth more than the bikes! 

[Img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0899/9232/products/my_biggest_fear_is_that_when_i_die_my_wife_will_sell_my_bicycles_for_what_i_told_her_they_cost_-_white_grande.jpg?v=1474007616[/img]
    I feel MUCH better now. Cheers!
    Sassafras said:
    If you don't want to sell them you could donate them to charity. I'm thinking in particular of the Sassafras Foundation for Needy Guitarist.
    I nearly asked what your 'needs' were but that would have been weird! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    @ac30man Don't buy more. Buy better.  :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    @ac30man Don't buy more. Buy better.  :)
    That good advice. A really great guitar definitely encourages you to play in my experience....