59 Strat on gumtree

What's Hot

Comments

• gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    I work in Poole - very tempted to go have a look at it.......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    ^^ Could you buy it - strip the body then post pics?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    tFB Trader
    From the number of sixties strats I had a hand in butchering when the 'lets fit Super Distortions' phase happened in the 1970s, I wouldn't be surprised if either the original body was routed and has later been back filled with wood and re finished.  Or, more likely, a replacement body from a later Strat has been used to 'restore it'. Without seeing what's under the paint there are few ways of telling. To me the neck, electrics and hardware look 'right' ... the body looks 'off' but speculating without the guitar on the bench is whistling in the dark.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Same question - why are the routes not painted? They don't look consistent with the base-coat of a sunburst finish - would they have been masked when it was sprayed black?

If you watch the video on Atoyboy's site, it sounds pretty average to me.

And why is it now cheaper than when Atoyboy were advertising it?

An awful lot of things which would concern me. And FWIW - I agree the edge radius looks wrong....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Is it just me, or is Atoyboy not a very reassuring name, when one is spending a considerable sum of money on a vintage instrument..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    usedtobe said:
    Is it just me, or is Atoyboy not a very reassuring name, when one is spending a considerable sum of money on a vintage instrument..?
    There's a vintage dealer in Southport called 'Dad's Guitars' - is that more the sort of name you'd prefer?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    usedtobe said:
    There's a vintage dealer in Southport called 'Dad's Guitars' - is that more the sort of name you'd prefer?
    You need to be called Terry to be a reassuringly named dealer..
    edited May 2017
    Just thinking about the edge radius issue - the earliest Fullerton and post-CBS American Vintage Reissues were noceably 'wrong' in that respect - but otherwise pretty close.

I had an '87 62 reissue and a real '63 at the same time. Next to each other, the difference was really obvious.

I picked up a pre-CBS 60s neck for my reissue - and sold the guitar with it on. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that this is how this guitar came to be....
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    Bucket said:
    proggy said:
    Jack_ said:
    I saw it, it's on my doorstep (not literally).

I'm not really up on vintage Fender values, but I couldn't spend that much money on a black one.

I couldn't agree more. Worst colour ever in my opinion.
    Racists.
    Burstists
    edited May 2017
    ^^ an 87 62 reissue would have a different looking neck pocket.........from memory they weren't filled with paint. Unless someone has done a Clive Brown-esque neck pocket refin on this Strat in question......

All the scenarios above are possible - but I think inhand the neck pocket would tell the story......they are very distinct - and stopped in 62 (some spilled over into very early 63) ...........Oversanding and glare on pics I think explain the roundovers.

Could be totally wrong - maybe the neck pocket look is fooling me...........this is the neck pocket style I am meaning from this original 50s Strat - and below the Strat in question:

^^ an 87 62 reissue would have a different looking neck pocket.........from memory they weren't filled with paint. Unless someone has done a Clive Brown-esque neck pocket refin on this Strat in question......

All the scenarios above are possible - but I think inhand the neck pocket would tell the story......they are very distinct - and stopped in 62 (some spilled over into very early 63) ...........Oversanding and glare on pics I think explain the roundovers.

Could be totally wrong - maybe the neck pocket look is fooling me...........this is the neck pocket style I am meaning from this original 50s Strat - and below the Strat in question:

Which still doesn't explain why there's no paint in the cavities. If you look at the close ups, they almost look as if they were routed through the finish....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    richardhomer said:

Which still doesn't explain why there's no paint in the cavities. If you look at the close ups, they almost look as if they were routed through the finish....
    They do, and there's also some very strange and even 'banding' around the sides of them, which makes it almost look like a ply body - the top one is visible round the control cavity too. And something strange in the bottom of the 'worm' rout - like it's broken through into a paler layer of wood just at the very bottom.

There is one explanation which could account for all this *and* andrewaward's correct neck pocket... if the body - having been routed/hacked - has been filled with blocks where necessary and re-faced with new wood, refinished and then re-routed. I've seen that done on a Tele before, although never on a Strat since presumably since the contouring would make it difficult to get a clean join without a visible sink line. Unless of course you leave the edges too square…

Just a thought, I could be wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I agree with what everyone else is saying, the lack of paint and funny shape of the cavities is hard to come up with a pleasant explanation for.

I have a 66 refin, and it sure as heck doesn't look like this

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    maybe it was stripped completely (except for the neck pocket) at some point .............and used for a while as a natural body..........then later it could have been refin'd black and the refiner saved the cavities because it had pencil markings...........

It would be good to have the body inhand as you can sometimes see the 2 dowel hole outlines on the body which would be a plus sigh also.

I know what you are saying, and everyone else.............if it wasn't for the neck pocket I'd be really sceptical............Also, not sure if that pencil word is MEL.........but if it is, Mel was a Fender employee in the 50s and 60s and his name is on a lot of bodies, pickups, pickguard shields etc..............
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

No insulted intended to the above - but not the hardest thing to fake is it? I reckon even I could manage three letters in pencil and I'm crap at DIY!

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

I like John's fill, refin then reroute explanation. I think that is the right answer. What do I win?

None taken :-) I've saw a few faked pencil dates / words - and they look just that..........strangely enough can spot them a mile off.
    And really hard to fake a neck pocket like that (unless you are one of the masters).

@ICBM - thats possible..............that would mean a new pickguard and pups would have been sourced assuming the orig 'guard was routed also.

usedtobe said:
    Sadly, yes!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    usedtobe said:
    You need to be called Terry to be a reassuringly named dealer..
    Alright, alright..!
     =)