Recording band practise sessions - can I output vocals only to PA in Reaper

I use a Focusrite Scarlett to record band practise as a cheap way to make band demos.

Keys and bass go into DI with XLR connection to interface and regular connection to amps.

Guitar goes into interface via XLR DI on the amp.

Drums are recorded via one mic above snare.

Vocals (3) go into the PA and a monitor mix is taken into the interface.

I want to be able to record each voice separately straight into interface and put a monitor mix into the PA.

I use Reaper and the interface has 8 XLR/line inputs and 8 outputs using 1/4" jacks.At the last rehearsal I tried  an option in Reaper where I was able to select Monitor 1 for lead vocal and Monitor 2 for other vocals. Unfortunately, all instruments that had not been selected also output through Monitor 1 and Monitor 2.

Any advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1562
    Could you set this in the interface's mixer software rather than in reaper? I can't remember how flexible it is
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Is there not an option to change the instrument tracks to no output in Reaper? Or just mute them in Reaper/turn their channel volumes to 0?
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    @guitarfishbay I must check to see if a track can be muted as it is recorded. That could do the job!
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    Would it not be easier just to split each mic signal with a DI box? One output to recorder, one to PA.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Do you have a hardware mixer? The decent ones have preamp direct outs for the interface inputs and the regular mixer side goes to your room monitors.