A set of Oil City Pickups, designed by you - named after you?

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
I had to put this in another thread cos it's just too cool not to.

@TheGuitarWeasel has most generously offered to donate a prize to our raffle pot. 

Now this is no ordinary prize. He's offering an 'endorsement' set of pups. Designed to your spec. With your name on them. On the website and all that. 

Yeah. Your own designed set of Oil City Pickups. Flippin' nora!

I so want to see this happen cos it would be the coolest thing since the ice age. 

Head on over to my 2017 Race for life raffle and donate! £1500 total and I will drop this in as a prize..

The question is, if you won, what would you have designed and why?? Me personally, I'd get a split-coil P-Bass pup done, same spec as my '64, but just slightly hotter... ooof. 
1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10259
    tFB Trader
    My prize ... if you can get there ... is the ultimate dream factory ... 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited May 2017
    My prize ... if you can get there ... is the ultimate dream factory ... 

*drool*

You are Willy Wonka and I claim my golden ticket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    It could be a jaguar pickup set, PAFs ... whatever you want ... get to £1000 from Fretboard ... you get the dream ticket.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    It could be a jaguar pickup set, PAFs ... whatever you want ... get to £1000 from Fretboard ... you get the dream ticket.
    I'm not letting this lot off that lightly!! £1500 for something this special. 

When Mrs T is running round doing her £5k I want her to know there's £1500 at least in the fund. That's a bigger total than last year then. And, to be fair - the prizes this year are SO much better - and much more. And just awesome.

tFB Trader
    Us little guys are helping ... where are the UK/EU market leaders ... Tim at Bare Knuckle ... gonna help?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I would ask something like a P90 that splits down to sound like a Tele Pickup if that's even possible. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    Is this how I convince a U.K. Pickup maker to make a stapletop P-90 style pickup?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Maybe an overwound Firebird set with A4 magnets... don't know how that would sound but would be nice to try.
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Is this how I convince a U.K. Pickup maker to make a stapletop P-90 style pickup?  ;)
    You win mate and I'll build you a 'Staple'

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I would ask something like a P90 that splits down to sound like a Tele Pickup if that's even possible. 
    Well a tapped P90 can be quite cutting ... but there's a basic physics problem in magnet location that won't let you put a steel base-plate under twin opposed magnets. Now the Steel baseplate is a major element in giving the Tele it's sound, and the twin magnets are the main reason for the P90s sound ... the two don't mix, so as well as coil height we have a few too many technical issues to make a really close sound alike pickup to both. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Wow, some prize, way to go @TheGuitarWeasel !
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    The pickup I would most like to see an artisan like Ash make is one I had in a guitar I used to own. 

I had a Epiphone SG in the mid 90's which had an incredible bridge humbucker.  Like a lot of humbucker it's tonal spectrum it was scooped in the midrange, but in addition to that it had absolutely no bass as well.  The sound it produced was incredible, one of the thinnest sounds imaginable and unlike any other humbucker it produced a huge amount of hum and noise.  

If a set of 12-52 strings were put on, amplified it'd make the strings sound like a set of 8-38's.  When played through a 1968 Marshall JMP 50/ 4x12 Cab, the pickup would make the amp sound like Peavey Rage 8" combo. 

Now that I have finished writing the description and knowing the kind of detail Ash has gone to recreate his 63 PAF's with attention to asymmetric wind, maple spacers, enamel wire and so on I'm not sure he'd be able to meet such a challenge.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    The pickup I would most like to see an artisan like Ash make is one I had in a guitar I used to own. 

I had a Epiphone SG in the mid 90's which had an incredible bridge humbucker.  Like a lot of humbucker it's tonal spectrum it was scooped in the midrange, but in addition to that it had absolutely no bass as well.  The sound it produced was incredible, one of the thinnest sounds imaginable and unlike any other humbucker it produced a huge amount of hum and noise.  

If a set of 12-52 strings were put on, amplified it'd make the strings sound like a set of 8-38's.  When played through a 1968 Marshall JMP 50/ 4x12 Cab, the pickup would make the amp sound like Peavey Rage 8" combo. 

Now that I have finished writing the description and knowing the kind of detail Ash has gone to recreate his 63 PAF's with attention to asymmetric wind, maple spacers, enamel wire and so on I'm not sure he'd be able to meet such a challenge.
    Sounds like it had an internal wiring issue ... the 'not acting as a humbucker' bit is the give away there.  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28016
    The coils wired series out of phase maybe? That'd do the no bass, not much middle, loads of hum thing...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493

Sounds like it had an internal wiring issue ... the 'not acting as a humbucker' bit is the give away there.  
    I took it to the repair guy who said it was the loudest broken pickup he'd ever come across.

Not sure how it got past QC but I didn't know any better when I bought it!  
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    i would like Ash to make a replacement humbucker for my Vintage Zip .It plays  very well ,I love the neck ,cheap as it is ,and sounds OK but a coil split proper humbugger would sound better than the two strat ceramics roped tother though it does have a sound all of its own .It would make a great blues  guitar with some A5's.it knows its limitations .
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Low impedance with a balanced line. (possibly bifilar but that probably needs special wire). Why would I want to stay in the fifties?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    @olafgarten said:
    I have a 500K pot wired to my bridge p90 that selectively rolls off the neck pickup to ground, it sounds outstanding.
    tFB Trader
    rossi said:
    i would like Ash to make a replacement humbucker for my Vintage Zip .It plays  very well ,I love the neck ,cheap as it is ,and sounds OK but a coil split proper humbugger would sound better than the two strat ceramics roped tother though it does have a sound all of its own .It would make a great blues  guitar with some A5's.it knows its limitations .
    I always fancied one of those Zips when they came out ... I would suggest a hybrid design featuring quad opposed alnico 5 narrow magnets to get you a sort of humbucking P90 array. 

• Surely the pickup should somehow mirror the winner? 

I'm warm and quite fat. So I'd have a tpd warm n fat.