Thorpy vs Kingsley

What's Hot
JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
Anyone had a chance to A-B one of Thorpy's overdrives with one of Simon Jarrett's?

Peacekeeper vs Page or even Harlot, for example?

Or a Gunshot vs a Jester/Minstrel, maybe. 

Verdict? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30909
    JohnPerry said:
    Anyone had a chance to A-B one of Thorpy's overdrives with one of Simon Jarrett's?

Peacekeeper vs Page or even Harlot, for example?

Or a Gunshot vs a Jester/Minstrel, maybe. 

Verdict? 
    Apples and Oranges.

Firstly, to get the best out of any tube pedal you need amp volume and pedal volume. Only then do they really open up and provide the rich harmonics.

Tube pedals also have an inherent warmth that can clutter note separation (although the best don't do this so much.)

Adrian's pedals are always noteworthy for their separation and also the usable sweep on the pots and again, with a tube pedal running on idle, the pots are hairtrigger-like.

I have 3 tube pedals on my board and 2 Thorpy's.  I can attest that the Thorpy's are more usable at home vols, have greater clarity down low and more usable pot sweep

If you compared the higain and boost of the Jester to the Veteran, I'd take the latter all day long.

if you asked me which is the best low gainer, peacekeeper.

If you asked me to have one pedal for everything to play a huge set, I'd take the Minstrel as it's amazingly versatile.

So, both brands brilliant, both have their pro's anc con's.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Thanks - the has been helpful 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Excellent steer James, ta

• GassageGassage Frets: 30909
    edited May 2017
    To put this into perspective- I blew a grand on my Cornish Tube Distortion rack unit- not an issue as only 3 in the world and I'll easily get my money back on it and it's ex Joan Armaplating.

Through my Hiwatt it was awful. Weedy, fizzy. POS, and I thought WTF have I bought?

When I plugged it into a Princeton or J20, different animal- it came alive, breathy, warm, think Gilmour TD tones and sustain to kill for.

Same for my Blackbird and BK TD.

On the other hand, the Peacekeeper is uniformly brilliant in either environment.

One thing I forgot to mention- is that both Adrian and Simon's stuff is beautifully made, amongst the very best.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    I had a jester  and gunshot.  Preferred the jester by quite a margin. 

Don't discount the strymon sunset btw. I'm using one at the moment and it's awesome.

Other one to try is nobels odr1 and a klon clone. They sound awesome together.
  • monkaiboymonkaiboy Frets: 27
    Minstrel is my desert Island pedal. Beautiful low, mid and high gain tones. Very smooth and natural sounding. Great EQ although there is a bit too much treble for my taste/setup.

I also have a Peacekeeper which is also great and has superb EQ. But for me the Minstrel has a vibe which just tips it for me.

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    I heard an Echopark echodriver today, best overdrive i have heard so far , and when running into the echopark double harmonic booster it is the best od sound i have had bar none.

they are expensive they are boooooooooootiqueee but for once imho they are truly worth every penny