What Guitar Should I buy?

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
edited May 2017 in Guitar
I am planning on selling my Lite Ash Telecaster and using the money from it to buy something else. I'm hoping for about £450 for it so, assuming I get that, will have £500 max.

I'm either after another Tele, Strat or maybe a Gretsch. I play at church and play bluesy stuff. I know Gretschs aren't stereotypically bluesey but I do love the idea of a semi-hollow with a Bigsby.

Any suggestions of what I might look at? I don't want a Les Paul or anything aimed at hard rock/metal.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Why are you selling the Tele?
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    simonk said:
    Why are you selling the Tele?

I love the guitar - it sounds fantastic but it's just one of those guitars I don't gel with. Not really sure why, but I rarely pick it up. Thought I might as well move it on and get something different.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Gibson Explorer, korina with gold hadrware
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    The lite ashe tele has a modern broad flat fingerboard and neck, I've got one too and it doesn't suit me but sounds great. I also have an AVRI52 tele with the 7.5" radius fingerboard and thats more to my liking. Both sound good but I am prefering the 52. So don't write off teles, try a 60s model with the rosewood board or the modern much sought after models with the extra switching.
    As a change the Gretch models are affordable and current examples I've played seem well put together. On a similar note some 335 types like Epiphone, Tokia etc. will give you a nice selection of tones.
    Play the actual guitars you are interested in (and a few you're not for comparison). Sometimes you head will spin your heart around and you buy something a bit marmite in looks but a great playing/sounding guitar. Why I even nearly bought an SG once!
    I'm certainly not against getting another Tele - like the thinlines actually. Are the Gretsch Streamlines any good?
    tony99 said:
    I've never been a fan of the Explorer

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    You tried a Squier classic vibe tele?  I've got one thats brilliant, and second hand they sometimes go for £250 - so bargainous.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    You tried a Squier classic vibe tele?  I've got one thats brilliant, and second hand they sometimes go for £250 - so bargainous.

Nope - I've not tried anything yet - although I've heard their great guitars. Just after ideas of what to look for. So far my thoughts are:

Gretsch
    Telecaster / Thin line Tele
    Strat
    335 type
    Jazzmaster

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    edited May 2017

Nope - I've not tried anything yet - although I've heard their great guitars. Just after ideas of what to look for. So far my thoughts are:

Gretsch
    Telecaster / Thin line Tele
    Strat
    335 type
    Jazzmaster

Les Paul ES?  Epiphone do one I've always wanted to try.

I tried the Gretsch Streamliner range the other week, about £430 new with Bigsby and great playing guitars, beautifully made.  Main objection is as they have humbuckers they are not proper Gretsch's.

Your budget also gets you near the lower end Gibsons like the SG Special (I didn't like it cos of the huge neck) and the LP Faded and Tribute, which are really excellent.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Offering the Light Ash Tele for trades (with cash difference) might land you a better deal.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Offering the Light Ash Tele for trades (with cash difference) might land you a better deal.
    Not a bad idea.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    tony99 said:
    I've never been a fan of the Explorer

You're just gonna have to trust me on this.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Leftfield suggestion... PRS SE ... Plenty to choose from at that price range

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Leftfield suggestion... PRS SE ... Plenty to choose from at that price range
    Good call
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If you're playing in a church one of these might be more suitable:

Image result for goth guitars
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    The lite ash is Korean .I found the one I tried to be heavy but had very nice SD alnicp Pro II pickups .I preferred the vintage V52 I played alongside  it but preferred the SD pickups
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Cabronita? A bit tele, and a bit gretsch. I'm sure they did a thinline one, and bigsbied too.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    Sesh said:
    Cabronita? A bit tele, and a bit gretsch. I'm sure they did a thinline one, and bigsbied too.
    Hmm there's something I don't quite like about them
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    G&L guitars are great value 2nd hand and they're very versatile.
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    Really liked the tele thinlines, I've owned both a MIM 69 RI and AVRI 72 RI lovely resonant things! Also this is a fantastic guitar for your money... as you mentioned a Jazzmaster

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/0301060541/solid-body-electric-guitars/squier-j-mascis-jazzmaster-in-vintage-white#anchorReviews ;