What Guitar Should I buy?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    You tried a Squier classic vibe tele?  I've got one thats brilliant, and second hand they sometimes go for £250 - so bargainous.

Nope - I've not tried anything yet - although I've heard their great guitars. Just after ideas of what to look for. So far my thoughts are:

Gretsch
    Telecaster / Thin line Tele
    Strat
    335 type
    Jazzmaster

I've just picked a gretsch g5422t in fairlane blue as new for £460 on ebay auction 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Really liked the tele thinlines, I've owned both a MIM 69 RI and AVRI 72 RI lovely resonant things! Also this is a fantastic guitar for your money... as you mentioned a Jazzmaster

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/0301060541/solid-body-electric-guitars/squier-j-mascis-jazzmaster-in-vintage-white#anchorReviews ;
    I have tried on of them as a friend had one.  Certainly a contender 
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    edited May 2017
    You tried a Squier classic vibe tele?  I've got one thats brilliant, and second hand they sometimes go for £250 - so bargainous.

Nope - I've not tried anything yet - although I've heard their great guitars. Just after ideas of what to look for. So far my thoughts are:

Gretsch
    Strat
    335 type
    Jazzmaster

I've just picked a gretsch g5422t in fairlane blue as new for £460 on ebay auction 
    I'd be happy with that!
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    Soon to get a proper listing, thinline Jazzmaster:
    http://i66.tinypic.com/2uoqh06.jpg[/IMG]
    I'm collecting it night so I just hope it's ok when I get there. 
    But year that's a decent price.
    People want around that for the older style electromatic.

Gretsch
    Strat
    335 type
    Jazzmaster

I've just picked a gretsch g5420t in fairlane blue as new for £460 on ebay auction 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I'd be
    1) Tele
    2) Strat
    3) something else
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    BUY EVERYTHING. ALL OF THEM. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited May 2017
    I play mainly classic rock and blues, but also jazz, funk, and slide.   I wanted one guitar that was versatile enough to cover everything that was very well made, comfortable, and had pro tones and feel but at around £3-400 used or £500 ish new

Just got myself a pre-owned immaculate Yamaha Pacifica 611vfm ..also comes as a hardtail version (hfm).  Beautifully finished in translucent black, with matching headstock, very comfortable neck with an aged varnish finish and rosewood fingerboard, and two really good sounding Seymour Duncan p/ups. One is a h/b the other is a P90.  Combined with a push-pull tone knob, this puppy delivers wonderful warm or raunchy blues, classic rock, or strat like cleans.  Add grover locking tuners, a wilkinson bridge, and a quality graftec nut, and this is one well equipped puppy that can do it all. 

I haven't been able to put it down since it was delivered on Saturday...and I have 3 strats, a tele, an sg standard, a lp custom, prs cu24, and epi sheraton. So if I say this is an outstanding player not only at its price point but at two or even three times the cost I hope you appreciate just how high praise that is. Even new the vfm can be found for around £525 and the hfm around £425 or less.  

Ok, it doesnt come with a gig bag or case, but at that price so what! I've just bought a plush tweed case from Gear 4 You for under £50 delivered, so no biggie. 

So if you're wondering what guitar to go for, trust me...don't buy anything til you've tried the 611!

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    The electric guitar design that excels at all music genres is yet to be invented. The half dozen that come closest to the fantasy ideal are well-known. No point rerunning that argument again.

For the stated budget, Fender, Epiphone, Ibanez and Yamaha are all contenders. I agree with the claims for Yamaha build quality. The Pacifica 311 is the plain Jane version of the 611. (Own brand pickups, no fancy book-matched veneers.) Pick one of these up cheaply enough and install your own choices of replacement pickup and trick wiring. You should be good to go.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I have the Yam 611 and if you consider one make sure you try one out first in case the narrow neck doesn't suit.

The Epiphone ES-339 is very versatile. Again, try one first as the necks are a brutalist D shape.