Marshall DSL40c or Marshall JVM205C

dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
edited May 2017 in Amps
What experiences have people got with these amps?

Reliability, Tone, Versatility?

What ground can it cover in terms of styles? 

Does the combo sound big for its size. Ideal function band amp?

Does it clean up well on the clean/crunch mode?

Sorry looking for a moderately priced back up amp for a function bands I'm in. Potentially my main amp if its reliable enough. The bands covers at lot of material. Want to ditch all the pedals if i can and this seems to tick all the boxes. 

The heaviest sound I need is Guns n'roses/bon jovi and need clean for funky rhythm parts. I like to use guitar volume and pick attack

Thanks in advanced.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    or 

Marshall JVM205C

• deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    edited May 2017
    Here's my 2cents - Not entirely the same,  but close...

I've owned a DSL40C which I played through a 2x12 and then switched to a JVM head (which I played through the same 2x12).  I play mostly GnR / Bon Jovi style stuff in an 80s rock cover band.  

I found the JVM was better suited personally, very versatile, nice crunch and overdrive sounds and cleans up nicely too. 

I didn't know they made the DSL50 in a combo, but I found the 40C a bit too 'boxy' sounding for my taste without the 2x12 (that was after switching to a V30 speaker too).   

For the sounds you say you want, I would look at a 2x12 combo like the JVM (just my opinion,  ymmv)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

The only DSL50 combo that was ever released is the 1923C 85th Anniversary combo. I own one and love it. It's just a DSL50 head in a 2x12 combo box with a heritage and a V30 speaker mix.

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/s--eWw0dNqq--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1488232765/xew4vjg6ic0lva2yxij6.jpg

I've also had the JVM210C 100w 2x12 version of the 2 channel, and whilst it was good I sold it as soon as I could and didn't consider selling my 1923C...cos for my classic-hard rock tastes its miles more preferable. The 2 channel JVM has the OD-1 dirt channel of the 4 channel model - ie the wrong one - the modern metal voiced channel with scooped mids.

edited May 2017
    Sorry I meant the dsl40c!!! Just changed it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    The new DSLs certainly appear to be much more reliable than the old ones.

I expect the 40C would benefit from a speaker upgrade, although I haven't heard one with anything other than the stock Seventy/80 yet... that's not a great speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

thanks! 1923C 85th Anniversary combo looks great. Would you think the DSL40c is more versatile as it can go down to 20w for home/small rehearsal use?

The demos on youtube just show a lot of people playing metal on the OD channel. Is there less of a jump between the two channels if set and bias correctly? 

I would set the DSL on crunch mode and use guitar volume for clean then use channel  2 for heavy 
    rhythm and lead solo.

Does it get into JCM800 sounds?

I suppose i can use the DSL as a head and get a 2x12 cab for the bigger gigs?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited May 2017
    ICBM said:
    The new DSLs certainly appear to be much more reliable than the old ones.

I expect the 40C would benefit from a speaker upgrade, although I haven't heard one with anything other than the stock Seventy/80 yet... that's not a great speaker.
    Creambacks seem to be the preferred speaker change for these. and I'm sure you're right re reliability as the 40C is a more modern design and the previous 401 has design flaws - as you know, I had the common problems of bridge rectifier circuit replaced (have I described that right?) and there was that annoying internal fuse that blew and was replaced with a higher grade one.  But other than that, its performed flawlessly over the years I've had it.  

Before I bought my DSL401 I tried out a DSL40C extensively.  Its a nice enough little amp but for me the 401 just sounded bigger and more Marshally. The 40C had some extra buttons, sounded more 'modern' rather than 'classic' and for some reason (odd, as cabinet size similar to the 401) sounded a little 'boxier'.  But the 401 had two distinct advantages from a gigging perspective.  First, you effectively have footswitch control to kick in one of three channels (yes, I know 'red' is technically a boost on channel two), but secondly Channel 1 and 2 have independent EQ controls.  The combined EQ on the 40c is less convenient for live gigging.  It was also just a personal preference as to what my ears preferred, and the 401 sounded nearer to the Marshall crunch I was used to in the past.  Plus when I bought, a used 401 was half the cost of a (then) new 40c at that time (too new for used ones to be found).  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

^^ 1 of 3 channels ? The reason my band mate switched from his DSL401 to a TSL601 was because he couldn't get a solo volume boost when he was already on ch2...so not sure what you're talking about there??

The DSL40C has  EL34's not EL84's as well in common with the 'proper' DSL amps.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited May 2017
    siraxeman said:

^^ 1 of 3 channels ? The reason my band mate switched from his DSL401 to a TSL601 was because he couldn't get a solo volume boost when he was already on ch2...so not sure what you're talking about there??

The DSL40C has  EL34's not EL84's as well in common with the 'proper' DSL amps.

The amber channel is crunch, the red is more aggressive crunch ie a boosted crunch. If you set the crunch on amber down, when you kick in the red channel you get a gain and a bit of volume boost. It also helps if you jump the FX loop. If your friend couldn't get that from his 401 I suspect he may have been maxing out the gain so when he switched from amber to red the gain/volume boost becomes far less noticeable.  Its intended as a gain boost, not a volume boost but it does give some volume boost when used as Marshall intended. For a true volume boost you do need external pedals and for this I use either an EQ or BBE Boosta Grand.

I've tried the TSL's - didn't like them at all. The 401 just sounded warmer, crunchier & more Marshally to my ears, but I do like their 3-channel layout.  Each to their own.  Of course don't forget you've 'jumped' to a proper 3-channel amp comparison.  The comparison was NOT with a TSL which was custom designed for 3 proper channels where you can set each at different volumes.  The comparison I made was between the 401 and its replacement, the 40C.

i'm familiar with the EL34/EL84 tube difference - I go by my own ears, and still prefer the 401 to the 40C.  The 40C is a good amp, no question - but the 401 just suited me better at the time. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)