Tone Magnet

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10346
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    If it's strong enough to change the shape of the fields it will eventually f--k up your bridge pickup.  Stuck it to the steel trem block of my Strat too ... same difference ... but along way from the magnetic fields. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited May 2017

If it's strong enough to change the shape of the fields it will eventually f--k up your bridge pickup.
    +1

A Seymour Duncan custom order pickup that I once bought arrived de-Gaussed. Either legendary winder MJ had an off day or the rod magnets suffered in a security scanner.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    If it's strong enough to change the shape of the fields it will eventually f--k up your bridge pickup.  Stuck it to the steel trem block of my Strat too ... same difference ... but along way from the magnetic fields. 
    wouldn't the trem block extend the magnetic field out to the front of the guitar?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Thicker strings might do it. No need for magnets....
    merlin said:
    Thicker strings might do it. No need for magnets....
    ugh
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dumble HRM clean and a Cali76 ?
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    £75!!! Hahahaha
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10346
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    wouldn't the trem block extend the magnetic field out to the front of the guitar?
    Not as much as it does from back the of the bridge ... this all seems a bit like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut ... that most people preferred nut shaped.
     If the magnet changes the shape of the flux then it will be robbing charge from the weaker magnets and/or re polarising them. When (most) pickup makers charge magnets we are very careful to ensure even field shapes ... I abandoned 'swiping' magnets as that could unevenly charge them ... our big neos are lowered top and bottom till held off contact by a few thousands of an inch ...allowed to charge the alnico to a reference gauss level, then retracted cleanly out so as not to distort the field shape. To my mind messing with big magnets near weaker magnets is a seriously poor idea.   
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Not as much as it does from back the of the bridge ... this all seems a bit like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut ... that most people preferred nut shaped.
     If the magnet changes the shape of the flux then it will be robbing charge from the weaker magnets and/or re polarising them. When (most) pickup makers charge magnets we are very careful to ensure even field shapes ... I abandoned 'swiping' magnets as that could unevenly charge them ... our big neos are lowered top and bottom till held off contact by a few thousands of an inch ...allowed to charge the alnico to a reference gauss level, then retracted cleanly out so as not to distort the field shape. To my mind messing with big magnets near weaker magnets is a seriously poor idea.   
    and they say they worked with the local university to develop this
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6129
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Also,  anyone who wants to dramatically thicken up a Strat tone isn't getting what Strats are about.

It's rather like saying a Twin Reverb needs a high gain channel.

it does ;)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    Older readers will remember the late Seventies fashion for solid brass hardware. The theory was that increased mass ensured increased mechanical sustain. The one thing that it definitely did increase was the weight of guitars. Tonal improvement is subjective. Many still prefer Leo's original, cheap as chips, bent-over, stamped steel saddle design. This is not because Leo supposedly got it right the first time. It is simply because it contributed to the established Stratocaster sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28125
    This is not because Leo supposedly got it right the first time. It is simply because it contributed to the established Stratocaster sound. 
    I find it a great relief when others post thing like this.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    This is not because Leo supposedly got it right the first time. It is simply because it contributed to the established Stratocaster sound. 
    I find it a great relief when others post thing like this.
    Which bit? ;)

I like to draw a comparison between Leo Fender and William Lyons of Jaguar Cars. Both oversaw the creation of some beautiful machines but both could be penny pinching when it came to some of the components.

The vintage Stratocaster bridge is the most rudimentary POS that would fulfil the required function and be quick and simple for semi-skilled workers to install. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    I noticed the inventor has a PhD. Physics or engineering? No, er, Italian Literature.

I'd be very interested to see the patent application for this...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The inventor says the magnet has the effect, not the weight

Would the strings not act as pole pieces to the neo magnets?
    I have no idea what would happen then - you'd be putting a field through a vibrating pole (the string) through another field (from the pickup magnet) aligned with the coils
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    The inventor says the magnet has the effect, not the weight
    That's interesting.

When I asked how it worked - they told me it added more mass to the bridge.

They probably need to get their story straight....
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    I noticed the inventor has a PhD. Physics or engineering? No, er, Italian Literature.

Are you hoping it will be written in a beautifully verbose Italian style?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    I don't like the fact it looks like it's got a speaker grill on it. Think it looks a bit stupid.
    Not as bad as this mock up of the T-shirt though

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BigMonka said:

Are you hoping it will be written in a beautifully verbose Italian style?
    Medicina di brevetto olio serpente.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol who would buy this? 

Just turn the amp up a fraction more. Or twiddle the eq a tiny fraction. 

I've clamped things on the headstock before to cure a dead spot on the neck ( fret 11 on the b string - oddly, over time, this seems to have cured itself). But spending that much cash on something that *may* help dead spots and adds a bit of mass to the bridge (= tiny bit of extra sustain, slightly fatter tone) is daft because most amps have an eq. 

Adding just a hair more volume will give a far greater increase in sustain. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom