Peacekeeper or Timmy? ..my conundrums..

What's Hot
paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
edited May 2017 in FX
thoughts/comments/opines please.

i am looking to replace my Klone (TC Bad Horse) with either of the above - placed at the end of my OD chain as a "mostly on" type of pedal for tone sweetening, extra fullness and added EQ control.

I was originally going to replace the tone city with a better quality klone. that was until, i bought a new amp - Orange Rocker 15.

As Orange are quite mid heavy anyway, i thought i should be looking for something with more flexibility...

so i was originally set on the Timmy due to it's heritage/worldwide love/form factor/sheer number of mentions on TGP -
but someone on here proclaimed that the Timmy was scooped? where i though it was meant to be flat/neutral but with the ability to be scooped (or anything you like) if desired? what the....? can anyone boldly confirm/deny? 

i have also been eyeing up (with lust, desire and mucho salivation) the Thorpyfx Peacekeeper - (the whole range are) aesthetically and aurally stunning along with top drawer build quality. but (a disappointingly big but for me) the form factor doesn't work well with my pedalboard. i use the bike chain link method to fix my pedals - which means i'd have to cable tie or drill holes in Thorpys work of art just to fix it to my board. Plus they are slightly taller than most enclosures which means the top jacks prohibit the cabling on my iddy-biddy board.

If only Thorpy could build me a peacekeeper into a smaller enclosure....? is it worth asking the man himself? I guess his current order book would prevent such a request being entertained. 

so i really want the peacekeeper but looks like i can only fit a timmy on my board....i'm sure i'd be happy with either. what would you do? 

I play rock/blues/funk/pop in a covers band. my current signal chain is thus: 

dunlop mini wah > M.I. boost n buff > Barber Gain Changer > Barber Direct Drive > Klone > Zoom MS100 > Orange Rocker 15 

apologies for the long post. help! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    The Timmy isn't scooped per se. It's got a pre-clipping bass roll off and a post clipping treble roll off. When you clip, bass gets fuzzy/ farty and you generate extra harmonics which = more treble and an increased perception of the fundamental frequency, even if that actually fundamental frequency is reduced in volume. So you roll up the bass cut until the pedal sounds as tight/ loose/ flabby/ thin as you want it to sound, and you can usually roughly match that to the perceived amount of bass you have when the pedal's in bypass. And you roll down the treble until it's roughly as bright as it sounds with the pedal in bypass, but there's more harmonics in the signal so it sounds more lively and overdriven.

If you don't use the bass/ treble cuts at all, it can sound scooped. If you use them you can make it flat or a bit middy. When I had mine IIRC I had bass cut around half and treble cut at 11:00, and that was a reasonably flat/ transparent drive with my AC30.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Have you considered a Source Audio EQ? Seems it ticks most of the boxes.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    edited May 2017
    Cirrus said:
    The Timmy isn't scooped per se. It's got a pre-clipping bass roll off and a post clipping treble roll off. When you clip, bass gets fuzzy/ farty and you generate extra harmonics which = more treble and an increased perception of the fundamental frequency, even if that actually fundamental frequency is reduced in volume. So you roll up the bass cut until the pedal sounds as tight/ loose/ flabby/ thin as you want it to sound, and you can usually roughly match that to the perceived amount of bass you have when the pedal's in bypass. And you roll down the treble until it's roughly as bright as it sounds with the pedal in bypass, but there's more harmonics in the signal so it sounds more lively and overdriven.

If you don't use the bass/ treble cuts at all, it can sound scooped. If you use them you can make it flat or a bit middy. When I had mine IIRC I had bass cut around half and treble cut at 11:00, and that was a reasonably flat/ transparent drive with my AC30.
    Yeah. Also compared to tubescreamers, it can seem scooped, but a TS is just super-middy.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6130
    tFB Trader
    thoughts/comments/opines please.

i bought a new amp - Orange Rocker 15.

As Orange are quite mid heavy anyway, i thought i should be looking for something with more flexibility...

i have also been eyeing up (with lust, desire and mucho salivation) the Thorpyfx Peacekeeper - (the whole range are) aesthetically and aurally stunning along with top drawer build quality. but (a disappointingly big but for me) the form factor doesn't work well with my pedalboard. i use the bike chain link method to fix my pedals - which means i'd have to cable tie or drill holes in Thorpys work of art just to fix it to my board. Plus they are slightly taller than most enclosures which means the top jacks prohibit the cabling on my iddy-biddy board.

If only Thorpy could build me a peacekeeper into a smaller enclosure....? is it worth asking the man himself? I guess his current order book would prevent such a request being entertained. 

Firstly great amp choice, i really love mine.

sorry you think its a bit big. please bare in mind though they photo much bigger than they really are.

bend the chain links to 90 degrees and one part will fit through the allen bolt and the other to the board.

I'm afraid I won't do a one off, because I don't have time tbh and it would open me up to similar requests that i don't have time for. apologies.

as for the size, the pedal has top mounted jacks, therefore it takes up less width than the timmy because that has side mounted jacks. it is taller and it is a tad longer though.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    ThorpyFX said:

Firstly great amp choice, i really love mine.

sorry you think its a bit big. please bare in mind though they photo much bigger than they really are.

bend the chain links to 90 degrees and one part will fit through the allen bolt and the other to the board.

I'm afraid I won't do a one off, because I don't have time tbh and it would open me up to similar requests that i don't have time for. apologies.

as for the size, the pedal has top mounted jacks, therefore it takes up less width than the timmy because that has side mounted jacks. it is taller and it is a tad longer though.

yes i'm really enjoying the amp Mr T, and already noted (with interest) that you also had one. 

and i don't think your pedal is too big - rather i think my pedalboard is too small! 

good idea about the bending the chainlinks.....and if i  sacrifice one pedal from my board, i can easily accommodate a Peacekeeper so happy days.