Talking myself into extra amp for sake of 10-ish lbs ?

What's Hot
noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 792
currently I'm taking a DRRI, tele in gig bag and PT nano+ to a weekly 2 guitar jam at a mate's place. The amp isn't too much of an embuggerance to lug to and from the car if I'm honest (and with upgraded, lighter speaker it's down to 40lbs), and with the sprinkling of pedals on the nano+ I couldn't be happier with the sound. Even my mate has said it would be great to carry on bringing it if convenience allows.
My only other amp is a microcube which struggled! 
I find myself tempted by a Katana (50 or 100 depending on birthday funds) for the sake of cutting down weight and maybe the GAFC footswitch in the gigbag but then that's effectively £250-300ish for the sake of about 10-15lbs over a short distance. I'm not currently gigging, and recently sold my other 1x12 15w valve combo as it wasn't getting enough use to justify the space.
Also found out the Katana doesn't have a tuner. 
I am careful with the DR and it has a cover and is serviced annually, but I suppose I've still got it into my head that "valve amp=delicate" so maybe that's feeding into the whole Katana question in some way.
Any thoughts to help me thrash this one out?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3581
    If this Jam is regular and at the same location you might buy a second hand 15/20w combo and leave it at your mates (would he allow that and is he reliable enough?). Your recently sold not used much 1x12 might have served this purpose. I have a marshall AVT20 that gets abused for similar things and such types are cheap if you look about.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7761
    If you have enough spare cash then just buy a Katana and leave it at your mates place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Yeah I'd just leave something cheap but functional at their place.  At one point I owned 2 MicroCubes exactly for this reason, just left them at other people's houses
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    If you're thinking of spending £300+ - get a Pro Junior ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 792
    Thanks all for the input. I think I may wait and see if this becomes an issue of need rather than convenience, and cast the net into the classifieds accordingly. The other 1x12 would indeed have fitted the bill - hindsight eh...
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    I went to a gig the other night.  On the bus.  Guitar, nano+, bag of leads, Katana 50, no problem.  I've never had an amp that I would even consider carrying on the bus before, let alone with the rest of the stuff.  I know you're saying you use a car, but there's something very rewarding about using the little Katana - it's a properly giggable amp in a lovely little lightweight package.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24161
    I went to a gig the other night.  On the bus.  Guitar, nano+, bag of leads, Katana 50, no problem.  I've never had an amp that I would even consider carrying on the bus before, let alone with the rest of the stuff.  I know you're saying you use a car, but there's something very rewarding about using the little Katana - it's a properly giggable amp in a lovely little lightweight package.
    This.

When I swapped to Barefaced cabs from the already quite light Bergantinos it was a real freedom.

Genuinely 1 trip from the car, and do-able on public transport. 
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 792
    Hmmm... if there's no compelling reason (for my situation) to go for the 100 over the 50 (don't need the extra volume or presets) then it might be worth a birthday trip to Andertons to try one... if I decide against it there are a couple of toneprint pedals I quite fancy...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4720
    edited May 2017
    If your mate has an extn speaker cab, or if you have a light extn cab yourself, perhaps try out a Vox MV50 (comes in 3 flavours btw - AC30, Clean, & Rock).  Really small, light, with a nano-tube, it has a headphone and line-out too in addition to speaker out. Weight - only 1.19 lbs - unbelievable!  and yet still manages to chuck out 50w!  I'm looking for an AV50 Clean to try out myself for use with an extn cab and my Tonelabs. 

http://www.voxamps.com/MV50

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)