Headrush Pedalboard - any thoughts?

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
Was just browsing through the multi-fx floor units on Thomann (I find myself toying with the idea of a Helix LT to replace my pedal board) and then noticed the Headrush Pedalboard...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/headrush_pedalboard.htm

...which is about 90 quid more than a Helix LT, but maybe it has some advantages. Admit I've not heard of Headrush gear before, so just wondering what views people might have. Pete Thorn has done his usual impressive job demo-ing the unit:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4697

I have just got the LT, I didn't really look at the Headrush because of initial support issues and it being such a new product.

The Helix LT is a new product but essentially has a couple of years firmware behind it to iron bugs out and a great support system with Line 6.

Not many people will have tried the Headrush, so it's unfair to write it off, but personally I'd wait until the backup for the product appears before getting one.  It may be a great unit, but the risk is currently much higher than with the LT in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    What advantage did you see of the headrush vs the LT?
    There has been a lot of chat about it on TGP, my takeaways have been:

IRs eat up DSP 
    Routing options nothing like as flexible
    Mixed reviews about the sound
    Touchscreen works well
    Company is new, though baked by Akai - Line 6 have been stellar in support of Helix.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670

I have just got the LT, I didn't really look at the Headrush because of initial support issues and it being such a new product.

The Helix LT is a new product but essentially has a couple of years firmware behind it to iron bugs out and a great support system with Line 6.

Not many people will have tried the Headrush, so it's unfair to write it off, but personally I'd wait until the backup for the product appears before getting one.  It may be a great unit, but the risk is currently much higher than with the LT in my opinion.
    All fair points well worth thinking about, cheers.

What advantage did you see of the headrush vs the LT?
    There has been a lot of chat about it on TGP, my takeaways have been:

IRs eat up DSP 
    Routing options nothing like as flexible
    Mixed reviews about the sound
    Touchscreen works well
    Company is new, though baked by Akai - Line 6 have been stellar in support of Helix.
    What advantages? - I don't know really, the whole thing with this kind of top end guitar processor is pretty new to me. But I thought maybe it has the scribble strip thing, and the touch screen, so perhaps a bit like the "full fat" Helix for just a bit more dosh than the LT version. Not wanting to knock Line 6 certainly, they seem to be a great company, and I have been impressed following the introduction and development of the Helix. And if I was considering any such unit, I'd probably have to put the LT top of my tryout list, as it wins on price and as has been pointed out, there's already known, reliable backup and a couple of years of bug-fixing and development sorted. I guess I did like the idea that there could be choice and alternatives out there though.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I'll probably give one a go at some point. I've tried all the rest.
    I'm going in a bit cynically (but then I was the same with the Helix after the HD500x) and its won me over
    Cabicular said:
    I'll probably give one a go at some point. I've tried all the rest.
    I'm going in a bit cynically (but then I was the same with the Helix after the HD500x) and its won me over
    Cheers @Cabicular - cynical views from someone who's tried a lot of stuff already are probably also very wise, so more than welcome. And I do like the look of the Helix/Helix LT.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4697

I've not had a full fat helix, but having got the LT my initial impression is that I don't want for scribble strips.  The LT screen method is very easy to see and intuitive.

I've not had a full fat helix, but having got the LT my initial impression is that I don't want for scribble strips.  The LT screen method is very easy to see and intuitive.

Yes - I'm coming to the conclusion that's not really a strong enough argument in favour of the Headrush, and nor is the touch screen editing. Both issues seem well enough considered on the LT (indeed I think I prefer the screen graphics and operation of the LT otherwise) plus the LT has all the Helix sound capability plus development benefits, and backup as has been pointed out. So nice though it may be, probably the Headrush is priced a bit too high to compete well. LT would have to remain top of my tryout list.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Well at least Headrush have got their drivers page up and running now.
    They've already released a v1.01 firmware update.

http://headrushpedalboard.com/support
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    equalsql said:
    Well at least Headrush have got their drivers page up and running now.
    They've already released a v1.01 firmware update.

http://headrushpedalboard.com/support
    Good to hear - I do wish the company all the best, it can't be bad for us guitarists to have options and choice about what to spend our hard-earned on. :)

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9524
    At this stage of the game, the Helix has a thousand advantages over this new product... but its encouraging to have options.
    At this stage of the game, the Helix has a thousand advantages over this new product... but its encouraging to have options.
    Absolutely, it does - it's got a 2 year head start, and is now an established, trusted product that has earned it's reputation, including for reliability plus support and backup. Anything new going up against that has to come in at the right price to tempt people I'd have thought - but as you say, still encouraging, and good to know about alternatives like the Headrush.

• BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Some nicer demos of it appearing now.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • OzMickOzMick Frets: 2
    edited August 2017
    Ok, I've actually owned and been using the HeadRush for about a month and can honestly say it's fantasic. Having owned the 11 Rack, the HeadRush takes everything the 11R did soundwise and takes it to a vastly higher level. The HeadRush is more responsive with a touch sensitivity that makes you forget you're playing through a modelling unit. The GUI takes this unit to another level and puts it above every other unit currently available for intuitive ease of use. Drag and drop functions make quick editing an absolute breeze and building a rig from scratch is not only easy but fun! HeadRush have their own on-line rig exchange that will grow over time as well as 3rd party patch developers like Choptones supplying rig packs. The awesome ability to import 11 Rack rigs into the HeadRush opens up a huge existing library of great sounds that can be further tweaked to your hearts content. The HeadRush allows multiple internal model routing options allowing twin amp setups with full stereo spread. Building a rig from scratch is helped by the GUI by giving you the option of selecting various effect "presets" to choose from or you can build each effect module from the ground up. You can also import 3rd party Impulse Responses which opens up even more sonic options by replacing the supplied speaker models.
    The unit looks great with the 7" touchscreen, OLED scribble strips under the footswitches, RGB footswitch Leds and an uncluttered, simple control layout. It is big, heavy and built like a tank and looks like it would survive the rigours of stage use well. The only thing I would be concerned with is THAT display. There's a lot of screen realestate available to possibly drop objects on and screen cracks/breakages would be a possibility. 
    Overall, I can wholeheartedly recommend the HeadRush to anyone looking for a modeller in the mid/upper price range. You won't be disappointed.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @OzMick got any sound clips or videos of anything you've done with it? 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2391
    OzMick said:
    Ok, I've actually owned and been using the HeadRush for about a month and can honestly say it's fantasic. Having owned the 11 Rack, the HeadRush takes everything the 11R did soundwise and takes it to a vastly higher level. The HeadRush is more responsive with a touch sensitivity that makes you forget you're playing through a modelling unit. The GUI takes this unit to another level and puts it above every other unit currently available for intuitive ease of use. Drag and drop functions make quick editing an absolute breeze and building a rig from scratch is not only easy but fun! HeadRush have their own on-line rig exchange that will grow over time as well as 3rd party patch developers like Choptones supplying rig packs. The awesome ability to import 11 Rack rigs into the HeadRush opens up a huge existing library of great sounds that can be further tweaked to your hearts content. The HeadRush allows multiple internal model routing options allowing twin amp setups with full stereo spread. Building a rig from scratch is helped by the GUI by giving you the option of selecting various effect "presets" to choose from or you can build each effect module from the ground up. You can also import 3rd party Impulse Responses which opens up even more sonic options by replacing the supplied speaker models.
    The unit looks great with the 7" touchscreen, OLED scribble strips under the footswitches, RGB footswitch Leds and an uncluttered, simple control layout. It is big, heavy and built like a tank and looks like it would survive the rigours of stage use well. The only thing I would be concerned with is THAT display. There's a lot of screen realestate available to possibly drop objects on and screen cracks/breakages would be a possibility. 
    Overall, I can wholeheartedly recommend the HeadRush to anyone looking for a modeller in the mid/upper price range. You won't be disappointed.
    To be fair, that sounds just like a cut and paste job from a sales page....!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I thought that until the bit about the Screen being a potential weakness. I can't imagine a Headrush sales page having that in, it's the bit they rave about...
  • OzMick said:
    Can you import old 11r presets like the Singtall super pack??
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.