Fractal owners...how do I kill my gas for a Helix?!

What's Hot
Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
This is stupid really as I strongly believe that the Axe FX is the pinnacle of digital gear, but can't help but get jealous of you guys with Helix's!

What always appeals is the following:
  • UI - best in the business
  • All-in-one solution
  • Pretty lights
  • Expression control on the unit
  • Can do more effects at the same time, so I've heard...ie, more than two delays at the same time
  • Bigger user base over here in the UK
  • The Helix dominates TFB discussion
  • Line 6 seem like nice guys
  • Very well thought out unit
Equally, there's a list as long as my arm as to why I feel the Fractal is better than the Helix, but I'm not going to compare them here. Needless to say, I've tried both and ended up buying the Fractal...it still hasn't killed the GAS though, has it!

So, does anyone else who owns Fractal on here feel the same way sometimes or am I alone?

Why would you move over to a Helix and those with a Helix, would you ever consider moving over to Fractal given the chance?
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    How do I kill off my GAS for an FX8?? Answer: buy another Strymon Timeline.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha.

Ummmm....have to disagree there, mate! Personally, hate the TL. Kudos to Strymon for selling so many to more astute players than myself though! :-)

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Haha.

Ummmm....have to disagree there, mate! Personally, hate the TL. Kudos to Strymon for selling so many to more astute players than myself though! :-)
    Well I'm picking up my 2nd one tonight. I just fancied it!
  • Go for it fella, enjoy it! :-)

BigSky...give me more of that any day, I love some Strymon's stuff.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited May 2017
    This is stupid really as I strongly believe that the Axe FX is the pinnacle of digital gear, but can't help but get jealous of you guys with Helix's!

• All-in-one solution
    • Pretty lights
    • Can do more effects at the same time, so I've heard...ie, more than two delays at the same time
    Equally, there's a list as long as my arm as to why I feel the Fractal is better than the Helix, but I'm not going to compare them here. Needless to say, I've tried both and ended up buying the Fractal...it still hasn't killed the GAS though, has it!

So, does anyone else who owns Fractal on here feel the same way sometimes or am I alone?

Why would you move over to a Helix and those with a Helix, would you ever consider moving over to Fractal given the chance?
    1. UI - agree onboard Helix is better but pragmatically it makes no real difference to me. I don't tweak enough for it to be a major factor. If anything I prefer the desktop editor on Fractal as it uses rotary controls, vs the left to right sliders on the L6 editor. That's a personal preference though, I find rotaey easier on the eye but YMMV

2. All in one solution - Unsure what you mean? For recording? Not for me since I have an interface/mic pres/outboard. It'd just be a piece of gear to me, not all of them.

3. Pretty lights - I'm too busy struggling to play my guitar as it is, don't need further distractions. Though yes very pretty. 

4. Expression control - yes onboard is cool. However as you can attach an expression pedal of your choice to a Fractal it's mostly a cost/practicality thing.

5. Can do more - no idea, but I've never ran out of CPU or blocks, only scenes (which would be the same issue on either device). 

6. Bigger user base - not really a factor to me. 

7. TFB discussion - yeah, but not a factor for me. 

8. Line 6 indeed seem like nice guys

9. Agreed that it is a well thought out unit

I would not consider selling my Fractal to buy a Helix, I already am happy and don't see anything it does better for my needs. However I would consider buying Helix Native, and I would consider buying a Helix if I ever wanted to do 4CM with an amp.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

• All-in-one solution
    • Pretty lights

A few of us Fractal folk defected early on. and you can run 10 delays if you want ...
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Your a GAS-head Jonathon, if its not to Helix it'll be something else... Cabs, FRFR, power amps, guitars, pianos, new desk, a different rack etc etc.

I'm the same :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Haha.

Well I'm picking up my 2nd one tonight. I just fancied it!
    will you pick up another ? and then another??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

If its any help I got a Kemper recently and having played around with that and loving a couple of things it does I still grab the Helix if I actually have to go and do something.
    Having said that I've put more time setting the Helix up as I like it (and re-invented my patches a couple of times). The Fractal stuff is great. The Kemper stuff is great. On sound they go toe to toe with the Helix and possibly in their specialities are maybe even a little better.
    But you can do almost anything with the Helix and in a live scenario it is indistinguishable from a live amp and pedals setup.
    (in my opinion anyway)
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited May 2017
    Haha, you're probably right there, @sgosden ;! I managed to can the GAS for a good two months, mind! I'm mostly just making discussion, to be honest. Like @guitarfishbay, I'm unlikely to defect to the Helix side of things, but it's nice to learn about the differences people consider deal breakers/makers between the two.

guitarfishbay said: 1. UI - agree onboard Helix is better but pragmatically it makes no real difference to me. I don't tweak enough for it to be a major factor. If anything I prefer the desktop editor on Fractal as it uses rotary controls, vs the left to right sliders on the L6 editor. That's a personal preference though, I find rotaey easier on the eye but YMMV
    2. All in one solution - Unsure what you mean? For recording? Not for me since I have an interface/mic pres/outboard. It'd just be a piece of gear to me, not all of them.
    3. Pretty lights - I'm too busy struggling to play my guitar as it is, don't need further distractions. Though yes very pretty. 
    4. Expression control - yes onboard is cool. However as you can attach an expression pedal of your choice to a Fractal it's mostly a cost/practicality thing.
    5. Can do more - no idea, but I've never ran out of CPU or blocks, only scenes (which would be the same issue on either device). 
    6. Bigger user base - not really a factor to me. 
    7. TFB discussion - yeah, but not a factor for me. 
    8. Line 6 indeed seem like nice guys
    9. Agreed that it is a well thought out unit
    I would not consider selling my Fractal to buy a Helix, I already am happy and don't see anything it does better for my needs. However I would consider buying Helix Native, and I would consider buying a Helix if I ever wanted to do 4CM with an amp.
    1. I mean on the unit, but yes, Fractal's software is awesome, I agree.
    2. I have the rack, two exp pedals and the MFC. With Helix, it'll be all on the floor in one unit.
    3. Yes, but...pretty lights...
    5. Only two delays at the same time, is my main beef...though, the multi delay can pretty much get around that, you're right.
    6. Stop talking sense.
    7. Just stop it.

;-)

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Have both units. though I'd buy the Rack and pedalboard myself

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited May 2017
    @Jonathanthomas83 you could always sell me your DIG to help your Helix fund

• @mellowsun I'd love to mate...did you not see my ad a few months back? I sold it ages ago fella! :-/ Sorry

• Cabicular said:

• All-in-one solution
    • Pretty lights

A few of us Fractal folk defected early on. and you can run 10 delays if you want ...
    Interesting, why and what did you have before?

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    @mellowsun I'd love to mate...did you not see my ad a few months back? I sold it ages ago fella! :-/ Sorry
    Mate I did, I sent you the cash but you said you'd changed your mind and decided to keep it so you refunded me! Bah, I missed out then, never mind.
  • It went back up about two months later sorry fella :-(

Cabicular said:

• All-in-one solution
    • Pretty lights

Interesting, why and what did you have before?
    I had one of the first Axe FX units then an FX8, also an Atomic Amplifire, a Helix Floor, a Helix Rack and a Kemper Rack.
    Wazmeister has had an FX8 an Axe8 and is now on Helix. VaiVai still runs his FX8 but is moving across (I think he has already) 
    Some people going the other way but not many. I certainly wouldn't go back. Like the Fractal sounds, the interface (both PC and unit) are just too irritating. Plus I thought the fractal stuff has a tone. You either like it or not but it is definitely there and once I noticed it, it was all I could hear 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Honestly it's going to come down to pretty basic things at the end of the day.

Does it work for me, can I afford it.  It really is that simple.

Personally Axe FX 2 works best for me but for some people I'd recommend they get a Helix or a Kemper if I think it'd suit them better.  It's all just tools.

Some people will get really invested in telling you their solution is the best.  Some don't.  Let's be honest, most of it is talk with very little actual evidence presented.  That's ok, talk is fun.  But 9/10 there's no evidence presented so you're going off whether or not you trust the opinion of the person posting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28129
    I'd be inclined to think that if you have a Fractal and get good results with it then you should stick with it, much as I am fond of my Helix.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    the hardest thing to accept as a Fractal user is how far ahead the Helix UI is, the rest of it is horses for courses, but the UI is not even close. It's like holding a Gameboy next to an Ipad.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom