why the love or less hate for pre factory or old PRS's compared to new ones

What's Hot
sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
I was going to hijack a classified add  but thought i would post here. There seems to be a lot of BS about how pre factory PRS 's are so much better than new CNC milled guitars. Now i can see the appeal of old strats and les pauls - they have a definite history. However I dont see the same appeal of an old PRS. Am i missing something here but surely a new modern custom 24 will play and have a better build quality than an old PRS custom (sound is subjective so i wont comment upon that aspect)
 Thats Pauls whole philosophy in a nut shell surely - improving the guitar every year.  

the consensus seems to be that new PRS players are described as that old chestnut of lawyers and dentists. whilst old prs players are somehow cooler.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited May 2017
    "Pre-factory" is a bullshit term that idiots and chancers use to try to inflate the value of their older PRS guitars. A *true* "pre-factory" PRS guitar is one built before 1985, by Paul. That's it - it's otherwise just Small factory or Large factory.

The only thing that older PRS guitars have going for them is that for 1991 and earlier, Brazilian rosewood was standard on almost all models (only CEs used Indian rosewood). So you get that magic mojo. There is also an argument that the wood looked a little nicer on the old ones because they didn't need so much of it, so it was easier to find pretty tops in those days, but that's both purely cosmetic and also subjective.

Otherwise, IMO, modern is virtually always better when you're talking about model progression. Using the Custom 24 as an example - there isn't a single bit of it that isn't both changed and improved (other than the Braz, if that floats your boat). The trem, tuners, pickups, even the carve is a little less dramatic (in a good way) - all better.

Paul wants it that way - he wants you to feel like your old PRS is junk and your new one is the tits - thankfully, the differences are not that extreme. If you have an older PRS, you very likely have a very nice guitar for life that might just want a new set of pickups sometimes.

But if you are buying your first one, I would always prefer something more recent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    IMO the newer the better.  They've consistently improved in most areas.  Saying that both mine are about 10 years old... but they're fantastic.  And they've got dents and I've lost the truss rod covers, so they're unsaleable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    Ive got an 86, 92, 2013, 14, 16 & 17 and my observation is the build is better on the newer guitars and also some of the parts such as tuners and bridges etc are improved. Not saying the older ones were bad though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Love or hate prs, I've always got the impression that the guy is passionate about making the best guitars possible. Given that, I would expect newer to equal better...
    Someone will no doubt be along, in a minute to say define better, which of course, I can't...
    just my 2p, for what it's worth.. 2p, probably..  :)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    IMO the PRS Guitars made in the last 15/20 years are better as an overview than those in the first 5/10 - This is based on the playing performance, build quality and tonal character - I dare say we can all have a debate about this and add merit points for certain dates, but one thing for sure is that guitars from today are not inferior to the Pre '92' models

certain aspects are changing like the supply of genuine abalone for inlays, but whilst this adds aesthetic beauty it does not add one iota to the playing performance - just an Eco isse and ditto for Brz boards as mentioned earlier

To be fair PRS have made few bad guitars but my favourite is still a Modern Eagle
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    edited May 2017
    IMO the PRS Guitars made in the last 15/20 years are better as an overview than those in the first 5/10 - This is based on the playing performance, build quality and tonal character - I dare say we can all have a debate about this and add merit points for certain dates, but one thing for sure is that guitars from today or not inferior to the Pre '92' models

certain aspects are changing like the supply of genuine abalone for inlays, but whilst this adds aesthetic beauty it does not add one iota to the playing performance - just an Eco isse and ditto for Brz boards as mentioned earlier

To be fair PRS have made few bad guitars but my favourite is still a Modern Eagle
    But didn't you just have a '92 on at just shy of £2k recently?  Sorry Mark (take it for the team!), but I am blaming the dealers for upping the prices and creating a bit of a myth! I know you'll say supply and demand but its more speculatory if anything.
    Alas, they seem to take forever to sell. This dealer bought this one for under £2k on ebay and its still for sale 3 years later at his now inflated price of £4195
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRS-Custom-24-Sweet-Switch-Electric-Guitar-1990-Vintage-Cherry-Sunburst-/291514760583?hash=item43dfa23d87:g:M1gAAOSwMmBVpBVy

Personally I like the old PRS in some respects because they were from my era. They feel more handmade for some reason. The brazilian boards are a bonus, the maple tops are often more defined and the inlays are often prettier than the 2000's era, but performance wise you'd have to hand it to the newer guitars.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    IMO the PRS Guitars made in the last 15/20 years are better as an overview than those in the first 5/10 - This is based on the playing performance, build quality and tonal character - I dare say we can all have a debate about this and add merit points for certain dates, but one thing for sure is that guitars from today or not inferior to the Pre '92' models

But didn't you just have a '92 on at just shy of £2k recently? ;)
    Yes I did but I'm not sure what that question means - it had a 10 top as well and a new example today is around £3200 so over a £1000 cheaper than a new example - It still had case and tags - I did not sell it as a 'supa dupa' superior version, yet equally some buyers still want old spec - Yet I knew that guitar well as I had actually owned previously for around 10 years - I certainly don't thing that my price was inflated based on hype, but neither was it cheap - Obviously I will try to sell the product and ultimately any buyer has a choice - But forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think my above posting contradicts me selling a 1992 model around 2K
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:

But didn't you just have a '92 on at just shy of £2k recently?  Sorry Mark (take it for the team!), but I am blaming the dealers for upping the prices and creating a bit of a myth! I know you'll say supply and demand but its more speculatory if anything.
    Alas, they seem to take forever to sell. This dealer bought this one for under £2k on ebay and its still for sale 3 years later at his now inflated price of £4195
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRS-Custom-24-Sweet-Switch-Electric-Guitar-1990-Vintage-Cherry-Sunburst-/291514760583?hash=item43dfa23d87:g:M1gAAOSwMmBVpBVy

Personally I like the old PRS in some respects because they were from my era. They feel more handmade for some reason. The brazilian boards are a bonus, the maple tops are often more defined and the inlays are often prettier than the 2000's era, but performance wise you'd have to hand it to the newer guitars.

looks like my reply and your posting crossed over due to an edit so sorry for any confusion

Granted 4K is a lot more than mine at 2K and yes that ebay example has Brz and sweet switch - I think in this example that 2K on e-bay was well priced but equally a tour of any outlets be it FB, Reverb etc will show customers asking such prices as well as dealers so I don't think all the blame lies with a dealer for asking prices

Equally I have turned down either the chance to buy or indeed the chance to trade in such models, based on the customers expectations

I do know early examples where fairly rare in the UK based  on Paul's output at the time and also in the UK the fact that the previous importer (Chandler Guitars) had limited funds available to both run a store and an import business, so selling sites are not exactly loaded with them - I remember in the late 1980's asking Chandlers if I could buy 5-10 guitars for the shop I worked for at the time and they quoted around 4-6 months for deliveries to arrive in dribs and drabs
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    The new ones don't have 'mojo' or the 'secret sauce' of the old ones and you don't get that lovely cork aroma that typified the pre-factory jobbies.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Umm...but 1992 was not one of the 'preferred' years for an old school PRS. It was post Brazilian board era. I know quite a few collectors of early PRS and they wouldn't so much as sniff at a '92. Sorry. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    PRS are one of the most consistent brands so you can't really go wrong at any year. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Umm...but 1992 was not one of the 'preferred' years for an old school PRS. It was post Brazilian board era. I know quite a few collectors of early PRS and they wouldn't so much as sniff at a '92. Sorry. 
    I can't disagree with your thoughts and opinions, we all have to have such opinions - Yet equally for a clean and original example with case and tags I don't see what was wrong with mine at 2K ish - For those who buy into the old factory it predated 1995 period, granted it is post Brz period - I owned it for over 10 years so in my view it was a good player, but then again it is fairly rare to find a poor PRS - just as a matter of opinion what price do you believe a dealer should be selling such a 1992 CU24 10 top for with case, tags and clean, without been mint

I do know early examples where fairly rare in the UK based  on Paul's output at the time and also in the UK the fact that the previous importer (Chandler Guitars) had limited funds available to both run a store and an import business, so selling sites are not exactly loaded with them - I remember in the late 880's asking Chandlers if I could buy 5-10 guitars for the shop I worked for at the time and they quoted around 4-6 months for deliveries to arrive in dribs and drabs
    Yep, nothing moved quickly in Doug's world! 

There's been an awful lot of grey imports of early PRS guitars in recent years to the UK to boost numbers though. My geordie friend has a huge amount of them that  he's bought from the U.S...you'll see them all over ebay at hopeful prices! :)
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I'm assuming someone bought it of their own free will at £2k so not sure what your point is? It's not as if it's still sat in his shop at an over inflated price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:

I do know early examples where fairly rare in the UK based  on Paul's output at the time and also in the UK the fact that the previous importer (Chandler Guitars) had limited funds available to both run a store and an import business, so selling sites are not exactly loaded with them - I remember in the late 880's asking Chandlers if I could buy 5-10 guitars for the shop I worked for at the time and they quoted around 4-6 months for deliveries to arrive in dribs and drabs
    Yep, nothing moved quickly in Doug's world! 

There's been an awful lot of grey imports of early PRS guitars in recent years to the UK to boost numbers though. My geordie friend has a huge amount of them that  he's bought from the U.S...you'll see them all over ebay at hopeful prices! :)
    sorry - above should have said 1980's not 880's - I think you know what I meant

I dare say a few have come over from the USA at a later date as used, or even a few new ones in the day - but at under 1.30-ish exchange rate then 'cheaper' USA imports are not going to be easy to find - Plus an Article 10 CITES certificate is now required to clear Customs both USA and EU - yes 2 sets of paperwork (unless brought back on the plane)
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 880
    I have just bought a used PRS from Mark and was very happy with the deal and thought the price was right.
    I had a choice of PRS and definitely felt the more recent models were better.
    I noticed that classified and thought it was just trying to inflate the price. Fender and Gibson have definite eras but as far as I can tell PRS have consistently improved over time.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    I've owned a few from 1990,99 and 2008. They were all fantastic guitars and the quality was the same high standard throughout. 

The only thing I preferred was the smaller heel of the 1990 standard 24 but that really was it. Pre-factory twaddle is just a way for people to make a bit more cash when selling them. 
    tFB Trader
    I have just bought a used PRS from Mark and was very happy with the deal and thought the price was right.
    I had a choice of PRS and definitely felt the more recent models were better.
    I noticed that classified and thought it was just trying to inflate the price. Fender and Gibson have definite eras but as far as I can tell PRS have consistently improved over time.
    thanks Max and hope you are finding sometime to play it - I know you said you are snowed under with work etc
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    I'm assuming someone bought it of their own free will at £2k so not sure what your point is? It's not as if it's still sat in his shop at an over inflated price.
    I think he also appears on FB at times - but I can't recall his FB name - I only know his real name
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 880
    thanks Max and hope you are finding sometime to play it - I know you said you are snowed under with work etc
    @guitars4you ;
    Thanks Mark, the guitar is playing really well. Very nicely set up out of the case.  I think it is the first time I have ever bought a guitar that I have not had to adjust in some way.  I think that reflects both your attention to the guitars you sell and the quality of PRS.