SORTED....GOLD FOIL PICKUPS

What's Hot
CastroCastro Frets: 512
edited June 2017 in Guitar
Guitar people

Who makes single coil sized gold foil pickups that could slot into a Telecaster pickup slot?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    What about an oil city custom order?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Check with Marc @ Mojo Pickups. He does a Trisonic sized GF, perhaps he could custom-build you something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited May 2017
    GFS do, apparently.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--GFS-Gold-Foil-Single-Coil-Strat-Pickups-White--Kwikplug-Ready_p_22007.html

(Not sure I like the look mind, and if I wanted GF's then I'd personally go full-size.)

**Ooh did I miss you saying Telecaster or did you edit? Ignore my suggestion. Carry on. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Mojo Pickups. End of.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    blueskunk said:
    Mojo Pickups. End of.  
    couldn't agree more, all I use now
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    edited May 2017
    Since mojo has so much experience doing gold foils it would be hard to recommend anyone else, but I think you will find the coil shape and magnet layout of a tele pickup are a barrier to true gold foil goodness 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    although my latest mojo  goldfoil is the perfect fit in a tele ;)

1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    although my latest mojo  goldfoil is the perfect fit in a tele ;)

I'll be using his p90 goldfoil for my tele, well when I get round to it
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Mojo! He da man
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Mojo. </thread>
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    I tried a Kauer Arcturus in Coda fitted with a Lollar gold foil in the neck position and it was splendid. 
    http://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar-gold-foil-pickups

A little known true fact is that these excellent Simeto pickups found in all sorts of fun Eurodrek guitars are identical to some gold foils in construction. As you might be aware, there is no one 'definitive' vintage gold foil pickup, and some sound better than others.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
    Not wanting to put anybody's nose out of joint but what puts Mojo above Oil City? Genuine question. I've used Oil City to 100% satisfaction (Ash is super helpful) but certainly open to trying other UK companies, especially as I might go for a set of Filtertrons or humbucker-sized P90s...
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    Not wanting to put anybody's nose out of joint but what puts Mojo above Oil City? Genuine question. I've used Oil City to 100% satisfaction (Ash is super helpful) but certainly open to trying other UK companies, especially as I might go for a set of Filtertrons or humbucker-sized P90s...
    For a non-foil  pickup.  Bugger all. It's down to preference and what the winder offers 

gold foils are not normal pickups, Marc has spent a lot of time any money adding them to his range in various formats and tooling up to make them .  As far as I am aware Ash would not consider this style his area of expertise.

i have more oil city pickups in my guitars than mojo's at the moment.  But I would still say mojo for a gold foil
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
    Thanks, @WezV Clears that up!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    Also, I used Marc's bladed dog ear p-90 in a junior recently and it's the closest tonewise I have got to a uk made stapletop.

the other mojo's I have used have been unusual designs, like the mosrite style JM pickups.  

I do have some mojo mustang pickups to use at some point.  That should let me evaluate his stuff against other makers better than the weird stuff I have had from him so far.

in contrast, Ash's havoc is the only high gain pickup I currently have other than an early dimarzio SD.  I like it because it splits beautifully and is a lot more versatile than any other high gain pickup I have had.

and the bridge pickup in that tele is a BKP pickup I don't want to ever let go of
    I did once have Catswhisker rewind me a pair of Japanese gold foils from a cheap and nasty lap steel.

they were beautiful once he had done with them.   We didn't go traditional.  He used different wire to differentiate the bridge and neck, not much room to do much else.   
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    Coincidentally, Catswhisker repaired (partial rewind, IIRC) one of the pickups in that Musima too, although it was to vintage spec. He doesn't do a gold foil, but the others I've tried of his have been of excellent quality and very good value.
    http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/index.html
    edited May 2017
    these are the catswhisker rewinds- wax potted with proper wire.    

I really should have saved them for a guitar rather than putting them back on the cheap lapsteel

i also have an old shergold pickup Ash rewound.... and if I had an old hofner pickup to fix it would be really difficult to choose between Ash and Marc as I know they both have a lot of experience with these.  Most pickup winders probably do. They die if you look at them funny.

• I have a set of gfs gold foils in a fenix strat with the kwik plug harness and pots and switch and they sound great very very stratty