Angled vertical cabs: worth it?

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
Been offered an Engl one locally and i usually put my cab up vertically. Sadly most of the venues i play are really small stage wise so despite my efforts, the sound usually goes past my knees. Are they actually any good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    Physics alert.

Vertical cabs have better horizontal disbursement than horizontal cabs. Vertical arrays avoid a lot of horizontal phase cancellation.

But apart from that - if the top one is angled up at your ears a bit more then it is very helpful.

I used to have some Hartke 2200Pro cabs which were angled 2x12 and they were great for that. 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Those Engl cabs are great, is it the Pro??

V30 loaded. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Its unloaded but my blackstar artisan cab would be potentially gutted for it..or sold... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    A vertical angled 2x12" is the best cab for several reasons... other than looking like a toy stack. If you can get past that then they really are the solution to a lot of problems. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The Mesa vertical 2x12 i had was by far the best cab i've ever owned, very easy to hear, all the volume and punch of a 412 but with marginally less weight. I've tried Randall, Basson and Engl ones too but to be honest, they all just sounded like regular dimension 2x12 cabs.