Incoming NPD (Strymon Sunset)

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I've bought the Strymon Sunset that is in the classifieds, I'm really looking forward to seeing what useable sounds I can get out of it. I know it's another distraction from my learning but what's life without a treat now and again! Does anyone else have one? Any tips on its use?
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    I've just got one yesterday, had a quick go last night but not had chance to do much with it yet, will see what it really has to say at the weekend

edited May 2017

It's not specific what pedals the 6 circuits are based on but from what I can surmise:

Ge: germanium diode drive = Klon Centaur or Klone

Texas = Tubescreamer

Treble  = Treble Booster

2 Stage = something like a Plimsoul or Thorpy Gunshot I guess

Hard = hard clipped distortion like a RAT (?)

JFET = Katana type boost

I'm looking forward to playing with the stacking options A into B, parallel etc. Just need the missus to go out so I can wind the amp up a bit!

Found this on the Strymon site:

The following lists a few examples of pedals that use a particular overdrive architecture. It is important to remember that the final sound produced by a pedal is highly dependent on the individual design choices affecting signal level and frequency response throughout any circuit type, as well as the specifics of the clipping section including op-amp and diode types and specific implementation. That’s why you will find some very different sounding pedals in the same circuit category. Sunset is our own take on these classic configurations.

Ge – The Ge type’s dual path architecture is a newer classic, being brought into existence by Bill Finnegan with the introduction of the Klon Centaur. A host of excellent sounding ‘Klones’ have followed, creating a category of overdrive in its own right.

texas – The soft clipper is probably the most ubiquitous of overdrive types. The classic example is the Ibanez Tube Screamer, starting with the original TS-808. Boss followed with the SD-1 a couple years later. Modern examples of soft clippers include the Xotic Effects BB Preamp and RC Boost, Wampler Paisley Drive, the Timmy by Paul C, and many other great sounding pedals.

treble – Our Treble type uses the same basis a the JFET type, while allowing for a reduction in bass frequencies to tighten up and drive another pedal or higher gain amp tone.

2stage – The configuration is a favorite with the DIY crowd, where some designs use a switch to select either soft or hard clipping. Some current examples include favorites like the Barber Direct Drive, Wampler Ecstasy/Euphoria, and the Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive. The vintage DOD FX53 Classic Tube pedal is also on this list.

hard – The hard clipper is often found in higher gain pedals that may be considered distortion pedals. Some classic examples include the ProCo Rat, the Boss DS-1, and the MXR Distortion+.

JFET – The JFET architecture is found in the preamp section of the Echoplex EP-3 Tape Delay, and has spawned numerous preamp/boost pedals that capture the warmth and fullness of its mild gain and clipping characteristics.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    @RandallFlagg  Thanks for the info, very interesting. Like you I'm really looking forward to stacking either of the boosts into an overdrive, I know these chaps aren't everyone's cup of tea but they certainly run through most mixing options.

Ive got to say it does sound poo going into an already overdriven amp but why would you need to do that?
    The boosts and Ge mode should work into a lightly overdriving amp and just push the front end harder and the amp into more compression. I run a single channel non master volume amp so it's pretty challenging to get my amp overdriving at home volumes so I will be using the Sunset into a clean amp. 

Just had a play around with the 'Ge" profile in side A and really like it. I have had a J Rockett Archer and a RYRA Klone and the Sunset's take on the Klon is superb, I don't have the other pedals anymore to A/B but from my recollections it's spot on with the Klone sound. More importantly, it just sounds and feels bloody superb.

Klones aren't everyones cup of tea and don't sound right if you approach them like a regular overdrive using the gain on high levels. For me, the germanium diode drive Klone sounds best when you use the huge volume on tap and just bring in the gain to bring up mids to taste just slightly, it's more useful as boost to either fatten a clean tone, adding a little hair and thickening or to push a driving amp into heavier saturation. The Sunset Ge mode does this perfectly.

I'm well impressed.

Will try the other models as I get time.

That's great, I used to have a RYRA Klone it's one of those pedals you regret selling so knowing the Sunset can get close to that is perfect. I want to experiment running the Sunset through my JTM45 so a boost is a perfect start. Thank you for your continued updates it's very helpful.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    It won't be long I'm sure til Strymon bring out a big unit for distortion/overdrive etc like the timelines/möbius/Bigsky. I'll be so up for that 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    It won't be long I'm sure til Strymon bring out a big unit for distortion/overdrive etc like the timelines/möbius/Bigsky. I'll be so up for that 
    Or even better a multi effect.     I need a small board/multi and was toying with a sunset/Flint/el Cap combo on a pt nano.     Strymon could just put it all in one box to make life easy.   
    John_P said:
    Or even better a multi effect.     I need a small board/multi and was toying with a sunset/Flint/el Cap combo on a pt nano.     Strymon could just put it all in one box to make life easy.   
    That would be great, at the moment my board will consist of: Pedaltrain Metro 16, Sunset, El Cap, Bluesky and a Fulltone Super Trem ST1. Oh and a Polytune up front. If Strymon could squish all that into one box I'd be interested.
    John_P said:
    Agreed, but you can bet it would be eye wateringly expensive!

Arrived today, had a little play and I'm very impressed and I haven't even scratched the surface of what this pedal can do. There is just so much to explore!
    zepp76 said:
    Arrived today, had a little play and I'm very impressed and I haven't even scratched the surface of what this pedal can do. There is just so much to explore!
    Knowing what the 6 modes are based on really helps with how you approach each one to get the best from it. I agree there is a lot of experimenting to do, having 6 drive modes, 2 of which can be stacked one into another, either way around, or blended is 27 possible combinations.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    It's an awesome pedal.  For the first time ina long time only used one pedal (sunset) for all my drives at last night's gig.

Being able to set either side as a boost is really handy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    thomasw88 said:
    It's an awesome pedal.  For the first time ina long time only used one pedal (sunset) for all my drives at last night's gig.

Being able to set either side as a boost is really handy.
    Interesting ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Just been trying out the 2Stage with my Les Paul into the Morgan PR12 and it's ferocious. I started blending in some treble booster to carve off some of the bottom end for the 2Stage and was getting a fat thick crunchy grind that was shaking the room. Kids are squealing 'turn it down' from upstairs as I krangged out an A power chord that descended into feedback!

Jeepers this thing can get heavy! I seriously think I'm not going to need my Amptweaker Tight metal Pro any more! I've been messing around with it and the versatility is just so impressive. Come the afternoon I'm going to mess around with the boosts a bit more and see how it pushes my JTM, I don't think I'll be disappointed.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Hey stop it guys you're getting me gassing for something I don't need lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Bump for this thread. The Strymon Sunset is absolutely superb. I've had it for a while now and it is very very versatile. Turning the bright switch to minus works so well with a BF Fender. Very impressed,