A guitar solo that brings a little tears of joy to your eyes

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
Thought I'd put this out there... very interested to see your choices too.
Mine is below and yes it's BTS related again... I just can't stop watching this live performance... there's so much passion and energy in this solo... those that can be arsed it starts at 1:04mins in

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3745
    I'm entranced by his caveman meets Bobby Charlton-esque hair.

Quite enjoyed the playing though.  Give me that over John Meyer any day of the week.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited May 2017
    Not being funny - but are you serious??   :o

Sorry, but as you've held this vid up for passion, energy & bringing tears of joy I'm obviously not hearing what you are.  For me that just sounded dreadful, out of tune, out of time, and the playing was quite frankly painful - and he needs to learn how to bend a note! It was just unpleasant to listen to and made me cringe!  I've heard better playing with more passion and feel from guitarists who've only been playing 18 mths.  Sorry to post a downer, I don't know the band and I really don't mean to dis your personal taste in any way, nor do I make a habit of slamming live playing (I normally love it, warts & all - in fact I think this is the very first down comment I've ever posted on anyone's live playing, ever) but this was just horrible.  

Sorry to sit on the fence! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Voxman said:
    Not being funny - but are you serious??  Sorry, but as you've held this vid up for passion, energy & bringing tears of joy I'm obviously not hearing what you are.  For me that just sounded dreadful, out of tune, out of time, and the playing was quite frankly painful - it was just unpleasant to listen to and making me cringe!  I've heard better playing with more passion and feel from guitarists who've only been playing a couple of years.  And he needs to learn how to bend a note! Sorry to post a downer, I don't know the band and I really don't mean to dis your personal taste in any way, nor do I make a habit of slamming live playing (I normally love it, warts & all - in fact I think this is the very first down comment I've ever posted on anyone's playing, ever) but this was just horrible.  
    So you're saying you didn't like it? 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    Nels Cline from 1.45 on 'Either Way' by Wilco. If anyone else played like that it would be over-playing and shreddy but when he does it it's fantastic.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    edited May 2017
    I think the clue is in the OP's forum username...
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Voxman said:
    Not being funny - but are you serious??  Sorry, but as you've held this vid up for passion, energy & bringing tears of joy I'm obviously not hearing what you are.  For me that just sounded dreadful, out of tune, out of time, and the playing was quite frankly painful - it was just unpleasant to listen to and making me cringe!  I've heard better playing with more passion and feel from guitarists who've only been playing a couple of years.  And he needs to learn how to bend a note! Sorry to post a downer, I don't know the band and I really don't mean to dis your personal taste in any way, nor do I make a habit of slamming live playing (I normally love it, warts & all - in fact I think this is the very first down comment I've ever posted on anyone's playing, ever) but this was just horrible.  
    So you're saying you didn't like it? 
    Amazed you picked up on that, in view of my deft subtlety!   3
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3745
    edited May 2017
    This, 15 seconds in, is as tear-jerkingly good as nearly anything I've heard (and, yeah, that isn't a guitar):

And this as 3m 25s:

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I know I post this at every opportunity but this is what inspired me to pick up a guitar.

And so this holds a special meaning for me. 

The solo from 4:30 onwards is just awesome 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I always had a soft spot for this little solo, from 1972 by Todd Rundgren - it may sound simple but its surprisingly hard to play & make it sound right.  It's of its era and I just think its nicely crafted, not flashy and understated.   Solo at 1:52. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    isn't this a Carol King song??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    isn't this a Carol King song??
    If by 'this' you mean the Todd Rundgren song, no - he wrote it himself in about 15 mins as a pop song full of cliche's.  

Found this live version - its the mix of slide and straight playing (its a dual solo) that just makes the solo sing. Very hard to play with  two players - timing and slide accuracy are paramount. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    edited May 2017
    This: LADY GRINNING SOUL - Sums up all that pent-up emotion/anxiety and wonderment of what may be coming to a mad Bowie 15 year old obsessed with having a trophy girlfriend!

The beautiful arpeggio chords and then the wailing solo at the end...

(I am still hoping!)

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Sorry, but as you've held this vid up for passion, energy & bringing tears of joy I'm obviously not hearing what you are.  For me that just sounded dreadful, out of tune, out of time, and the playing was quite frankly painful - and he needs to learn how to bend a note! It was just unpleasant to listen to and made me cringe!  I've heard better playing with more passion and feel from guitarists who've only been playing 18 mths.  Sorry to post a downer, I don't know the band and I really don't mean to dis your personal taste in any way, nor do I make a habit of slamming live playing (I normally love it, warts & all - in fact I think this is the very first down comment I've ever posted on anyone's live playing, ever) but this was just horrible.  

@voxman to be fair, the bloke's had 6 years practice since this was taken so he may now be able to bend the notes, and tune his guitar properly now.

;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    Voxman said:

No probs at all @voxman each to his own and all that!
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Jan Akkerman's solo on Focus Live at the Rainbow during the slower section of Eruption.
    Starts at 3:00. His tone and those harmonics building to most incredible controlled piece of feedback at 04:12
    So beautiful and controlled. You can feel that the amp wants to let rip but he's teasing it.
    Breathtaking..puts a lump in my throat every time.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Nels Cline from 1.45 on 'Either Way' by Wilco. If anyone else played like that it would be over-playing and shreddy but when he does it it's fantastic.

Good choice that! Impossible Germany has a fantastic solo also
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm entranced by his caveman meets Bobby Charlton-esque hair.

Quite enjoyed the playing though.  Give me that over John Meyer any day of the week.
    Or Clapton!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    equalsql said:
    Jan Akkerman's solo on Focus Live at the Rainbow during the slower section of Eruption.
    Starts at 3:00. His tone and those harmonics building to most incredible controlled piece of feedback at 04:12
    So beautiful and controlled. You can feel that the amp wants to let rip but he's teasing it.
    Breathtaking..puts a lump in my throat every time.

Focus were superb. Incredible musicians, wonderful inventive progressive jazz/rock fusion, Jan Akkerman is a superb guitarist, & Thijs Van Leer is just a mad genius!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Voxman said:

Sorry, but as you've held this vid up for passion, energy & bringing tears of joy I'm obviously not hearing what you are.  For me that just sounded dreadful, out of tune, out of time, and the playing was quite frankly painful - and he needs to learn how to bend a note! It was just unpleasant to listen to and made me cringe!  I've heard better playing with more passion and feel from guitarists who've only been playing 18 mths.   
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

But yes it did come across rather like Neil Young on an off day.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7027
    tFB Trader
    equalsql said:
    That's the one that's always done it for me too.