A guitar solo that brings a little tears of joy to your eyes

What's Hot

Comments

• builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    equalsql said:
    Jan Akkerman's solo on Focus Live at the Rainbow during the slower section of Eruption.
    Starts at 3:00. His tone and those harmonics building to most incredible controlled piece of feedback at 04:12
    So beautiful and controlled. You can feel that the amp wants to let rip but he's teasing it.
    Breathtaking..puts a lump in my throat every time.

Yodeling aside, it's a fantastic bit of music
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Chuck's playing here, sublime...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Always liked Jimi Hendrix's take on All Along the Watchtower.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Always loved this. Is John Perry's amplifier actually on fire? Unfortunately the only version on YouTube isn't great from the quality point of view.

• builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    JezWynd said:

Not familiar with him and don't really know his stuff but that was brilliant! 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Voxman said:
    equalsql said:
    Jan Akkerman's solo on Focus Live at the Rainbow during the slower section of Eruption.
    Starts at 3:00. His tone and those harmonics building to most incredible controlled piece of feedback at 04:12
    So beautiful and controlled. You can feel that the amp wants to let rip but he's teasing it.
    Breathtaking..puts a lump in my throat every time.

Focus were superb. Incredible musicians, wonderful inventive progressive jazz/rock fusion, Jan Akkerman is a superb guitarist, & Thijs Van Leer is just a mad genius!  :)
    /\ /\ This!

Hokus Pocus has long been a favourite track of mine and that's a great live version. Akkerman a master. Brilliant vocal control by Van Leer. A band that deserves a much greater place in music history.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I know I post this at every opportunity but this is what inspired me to pick up a guitar.

And so this holds a special meaning for me. 

The solo from 4:30 onwards is just awesome 

@BRISTOL86 I hadn't heard that before, what a stunning performance!

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited May 2017
    Voxman said:
    Not being funny - but are you serious??   o

Sorry, but as you've held this vid up for passion, energy & bringing tears of joy I'm obviously not hearing what you are.  For me that just sounded dreadful, out of tune, out of time, and the playing was quite frankly painful - and he needs to learn how to bend a note! It was just unpleasant to listen to and made me cringe!  I've heard better playing with more passion and feel from guitarists who've only been playing 18 mths.  Sorry to post a downer, I don't know the band and I really don't mean to dis your personal taste in any way, nor do I make a habit of slamming live playing (I normally love it, warts & all - in fact I think this is the very first down comment I've ever posted on anyone's live playing, ever) but this was just horrible.  

Sorry to sit on the fence! 

I like a person who has the guts to say what I'd like to say. Have a Wis from me.

It's not a competition.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Maybe a little long (over 4 minutes) but this is amazing (skip to 7 mins in)

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    BigMonka said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I know I post this at every opportunity but this is what inspired me to pick up a guitar.

And so this holds a special meaning for me. 

The solo from 4:30 onwards is just awesome 

@BRISTOL86 I hadn't heard that before, what a stunning performance!

Isn't it! This was my first exposure to Mayer, and I can hardly listen to his early studio stuff because the live stuff just blows it out the water.

And it's got Robbie McIntosh on. What's not to love? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Stuckfast said:
     rather like Neil Young on an off day.
    I spotted that. The scrabbling of NY combined with the fuzz tone of Adrian Belew circa 1980. I was hoping for some twangbar stunts - Bigsby or Kahler would have been equally acceptable - but they never arrived.

I write this as somebody who enjoys Arc/Weld and Le Noise. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    NelsonP said:

Yes!

That whole show is incredible.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    NelsonP said:

Yes!

That whole show is incredible.
    I love GCJ - now THAT has real feel, passion & energy.  Probably a bit too long & overdone though ...unless you're a guitarist. ;)  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    You know you've made it as a guitarist when people start referring to you just by your initials.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    JezWynd said:

Now that's a guy who understands what a Telecaster is all about!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    This is a solo to make anyone weep - one of my all time favourites from 5.30 onwards but just listen to the whole thing.

This is a bloke who had done a bit of practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW5M5xljdCI
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    This composition and this particular rendition of it could raise tears - for several reasons.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    edited May 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka1dmcclvT4 This version of Black , Mccready fucking shreds it, first time i seen them live and was with my now ex mrs singing the doodoodooodooodooo bits. the We Belong Together bit feels all a bit futile and empty now. 

Stuckfast said:
    You know you've made it as a guitarist when people start referring to you just by your initials.
    I made it..trouble is the initials folk referred to me as were GIT which is odd really as my real initials are RGB...but hey, fame is fame!  :3 =) :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:
    This is a solo to make anyone weep - one of my all time favourites from 5.30 onwards but just listen to the whole thing.

This is a bloke who had done a bit of practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW5M5xljdCI
    Alvin Lee - great player, and fast too - sadly, went to the great gig up in the sky in early 2013.  :'(