Martins... which are the good years?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited June 2017
    Whatever range it's from you need to try the individual guitar.  You have more chance of finding a really great one from certain ranges but they are all different.

I always regretted not buying an HD28V that was absolutely stunning.  I went back to the shop a couple of weeks later and they had sold the one I played.  I tried the one they had got in to replace it, but it was nowhere near as good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikemjmmikemjm Frets: 4
    edited June 2017
    am I right in saying there is very little difference between the current D18s (post 2012) and the older d18v models?
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    mikemjm said:
    am I right in saying there is very little difference between the current D18s (post 2012) and the older d18v models?
    The neck is different, the V models have a pretty old skool V neck, whilst the D18 has a more modern profile.
  • mikemjm said:
    The neck is different, the V models have a pretty old skool V neck, whilst the D18 has a more modern profile.

Do current D18 models have forward shifted bracing... like the D18V?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    mikemjm said:

Don't get too hung up about the bracing. Forward shifted bracing sounds different - but not necessarily 'better'.

To my ears, forward shifted bracing delivers deeper bass, brighter highs and more 'scooped' mids. In exchange for sightly more volume, you lose sustain.

The (for want of a better description) 'back shifted'/non-scalloped bracing is more 'even' sounding - with warmer mids - less overt brightness - and less extended bass. More 000/OM-like - but retaining Dreadnought 'punch'.

Its easy to be swayed by superficial differences when auditioning acoustic guitars - sometimes their real qualities take a while to appreciate. I recommend taking your time playing a few alternatives before you part with your money.
    mikemjm said:

Yes, I believe they do.

mikemjm said:

Don't get too hung up about the bracing. Forward shifted bracing sounds different - but not necessarily 'better'.

To my ears, forward shifted bracing delivers deeper bass, brighter highs and more 'scooped' mids. In exchange for sightly more volume, you lose sustain.

The (for want of a better description) 'back shifted'/non-scalloped bracing is more 'even' sounding - with warmer mids - less overt brightness - and less extended bass. More 000/OM-like - but retaining Dreadnought 'punch'.

Its easy to be swayed by superficial differences when auditioning acoustic guitars - sometimes their real qualities take a while to appreciate. I recommend taking your time playing a few alternatives before you part with your money.
    I'd agree with this to a certain extent, I have an OM18V which is great at finger style, but not as good for strumming when compared to a D28 or J45. How much this has to do with the bracing rather than the shape is debatable.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    I've got a brook teign, I prefer it to any Martin I've tried
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    KDS said:
    I've got a brook teign, I prefer it to any Martin I've tried
    Matter of taste.  I had a Teign for a while.  The shallow neck and flat fingerboard were my main reasons for getting rid of it rather than the sound, but I wouldn't swap it for the Martin I have now.

A lot of these things are a matter of what sound you like.  @richardhomer might not be bothered about forward shifted (pre-war style) bracing but to me it is a huge improvement - on Dreadnoughts at least.  I've not really played enough other body styles to be sure about them.
  • guycpguycp Frets: 30
    For detailed specs, comparisons and discussion on all current and vintage Martins see the 'Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum'
  • guycpguycp Frets: 30
    ICBM said:
    guycp said:
    As a general rule, standard Martins have improved specs from 2011. However Golden Era and Authentic models are always better in any year.
    Hmmm… I know someone with a Golden Era D18, and it's not only no better-sounding than a standard one (if anything worse, it's thinner and less punchy) it has a poorly-made neck join that has needed regluing.

It may be only one poor example, but I'm not at all impressed and I certainly wouldn't buy one based on that experience.
    I guess that the D-18GE you tried must have had issues, and there's always the possibility that the odd defect will emerge, even at the top of the range.
    I have owned 2 x D-18 Authentics and 3x D-18 GEs and found them all to have been beautifully constructed and with great attention to detail and finish. They have all sounded full-bodied, well balanced and powerful, and make superb flat pickers, especially like me, if you play Bluegrass & Old Time. For a vintage American sound they can't be beat, although the Authentics are priced pretty high!
    For a more dry and mid rangy sound I love the higher end J-45 or J-50s and there are some superb examples built by ex Gibson luthiers; Ren Ferguson, John Walker and Kevin Kopp, which really capture that great early Gibson sound.

By the way, the original poster asked when the D-18 was revamped - it had all new specs from 2012. Details can be found on the Martin website or Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum.