Two Weeks Off The Cigarettes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• finest1finest1 Frets: 94
    keep at it, this stage is one of the hardest as it's easy to go back to the bad habit. once you hit 4 weeks, you've succeeded in the sense that you've proved to yourself you don't need it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    In a few weeks it will be 10 years since the no smoking laws came into force.  I wonder if it has had the desired effect?

That was the day I quit, cold turkey, after being told I had to go outside for my after-tea smoke.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Oh, and a bi "well done" to the OP and all others who have stopped.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737

Thanks Guys - made the conscious decision this weekend that I'm going to give up the vaping very soon as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    very well done. The vaping stuff is a lifesaver - I didn't think I'd ever stop (20 years at about 20/day) until I started the vaping about 2 years ago and ditched cigarettes completely. You'll be fine stopping the vaping - I stopped in February this year, and it was admittedly very difficult for a couple of days - very grumpy and tetchy, but after that it was fine, and it now seems weird that I even used to do it. I started using the nicorette spray stuff and the inhalator they do after that to take the edge off a bit, and stopped using the spray about a month ago. Just down to the inhalator now, which basically just gives you a tiny bit of a hit, and will be stopping that soon (and for the first time ever, went out last night for a couple of drinks with neighbours and didn't even think about using it). Good luck - I'm sure you'll get there  =)
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    gubble said:

Inspired by a recent thread on here I decided I wanted to give up smoking.

Realised I needed something to give me the nicotine hit and help with the 'habit' so went to B&M and bought the E Cigarette kit that they do there and a couple of liquid things.

These things were really cheap and I was a bit suspicious. £6 for the actual vape pen plus 99p for the liquids.

Normally I'd smoke 30g of tobacco a week, which combined with filters and papers probably cost about £13 a week.

Two weeks in I've not had a single desire for a traditional cigarette. I think I'm also using the vape stick less than I would a traditional cigarette. A few puffs on that and I'm good to go rather than feeling obliged to smoke the entire cigarette.

I've also used only half a bottle of the liquid. So I'm looking at less than a pound a month compared to £13 a week. The money is going into a pot labelleg "Gibson SG Fund".

Lungs are feeling healthier but the biggest difference I've noticed is the smell on other people - I now cannot stand the smell of someone who has been smoking. It's like an attack on my senses and has made me adamant i'll never return to it.

My wife was impressed with how I'd been doing so last week bought her her the same kit and she's not had a cigarette either. I've also just bought one for a good friend who has been impressed with our results.

Next stage is to get myself off the nicotine addiction and the habit element to a 100% smoke free lifestyle

So thanks guys you inspired me to do something really positive :)

And thank you. This thread has inspired me to go to B&M this morning and to do likewise :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737

@heartfeltdawn - cracking work sir ! let me know how you get on :)

From B&H to B&M

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    OK, off to B&M I went. £10.87 got me a small vaping pen, three capsules of what was described as Lime Zest Cookie, and a bag of shrimps and bananas because I'm addicted to those bastard things. 

A bit of a charge of the what you might call it, some fiddling with the thing... jesus, it works. I can't taste the lime at all and need to get something fruity. Lime, lemon, pink lemonade, you name it, I want it. I'd still like to smoke a proper cigarette but I haven't got that huge irrational pull to run round to my local offie and ask Raj for my usual (he's seen me give up twice in four years and still takes the piss). 

SO yes. Try it. It might well work :)

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    I haven't had any nicotine for 2 months.  But I still want one and I don't yet find the smell offensive.   I don't know how people get to that stage.

The last few years have been 6months on 6 months off. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    edited May 2017
    WezV said:
    I haven't had any nicotine for 2 months.  But I still want one and I don't yet find the smell offensive.   I don't know how people get to that stage.

The last few years have been 6months on 6 months off. 
    I think it's possible to waste a lot of time telling ourselves a kind of story that we are a smoker who can only do on/ off -- I have no idea if that's what you're saying your story is but it was definitely mine before I stopped. 
    I much prefer my current story that is able to say, I stopped for good and I don't regret it.  I totally identify with that now.
    I remember wanting the things I believed came with the cigarette and the moment I realised they didn't come with the cigarette -- that nothing I wanted came with the cigarette -- was the moment I stopped. 
    It was an interesting shift from understanding something rationally to believing it fully at an emotional level.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Well done all you chaps who've given up. I stopped smoking completely nearly six years back, having had numerous half hearted attempts before. Stupidly I even went back to smoking after a fifteen year break. Nowadays I can't stand the smell of cigarettes; in the past I'd love the whiff of a freshly lit ciggie. I think when you get to that stage you really can say you've beaten the addiction to the filthy things. 
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    I really should quit, I have done so many times without any real stress or hardship but somehow always fallen back into it. And yes, I know that makes me an idiot. Congratulations OP!