NVGD - My Gibson Holy Trinity is now complete

What's Hot
nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
edited May 2017 in Guitar
Well it turned out to be a bit of a fluke in the timing but it ended up being a pretty decent start to my birthday after collecting this off Parcel Force this morning:

After stressing about CITES and import charges there turned out to be a happy ending (after begrudgingly handing over funds to HMRC).  The arrival of my new addition a '66 Melody Maker finished in Pelham Blue with matching neck.  It's all original including the case.  It's stamped with a 2 on the rear of the headstock so indicating it's a factory second.  Could possibly have been due to a flaw with the neck finish that ended up meaning they went for a complete Pelham blue paint job or simply due to Gibson's way of providing discount to it's preferred dealers without there being an issue with the guitar.  Who knows, but after all these years it doesn't matter to me.  

The neck is slimmer in nut width to what I usually play and reminds me of my old Mustang around the first fret.  The single coil not surprisingly is cleaner and has less output than my other juniors.  It has a nice Strat like quality to it and the tone control is still really usable despite the age which gives some decent variety.

The finish itself has aged really nicely and has some cool lacquer checking and the expected dings from years of use.  It definitely oozes mojo and is nice on the eye which has made it fit in well as the youngest of the family:

They may be all over 50 years old, made for students and only have 3 pickups between them but this little lot has got to be best set up I've ever owned by a country mile.  My Gibson Holy Trinity is complete!
0reaction image LOL 35reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7151
    No neck pickups make the little baby Jesus cry! 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    Awesome. Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Sweet! I approve heartily of anything with a single pickup. Very nice trio! 
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Haha, that's only because his tiny little hands at the time couldn't stretch to use the guitar vol and tone!  When he became a man and turned in to the bearded Jesus he found no need for a neck pickup
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7151
    nickb_boy said:
    Haha, that's only because his tiny little hands at the time couldn't stretch to use the guitar vol and tone!  When he became a man and turned in to the bearded Jesus he found no need for a neck pickup
    Well at least it's got a wiggly stick 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14177
    tFB Trader
    very cool and cute in that blue and looks well with its mate - hope you enjoy it and the hassle was worth it

did you have to get an appendix 1 CITES for Brazilian - did you need to get one from the USA and EU - just curious as to how it worked at your end
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    nickb_boy said:
    Well at least it's got a wiggly stick 
    Yeah they were popular for most of the Jesus eras but for some reason after the zombie Jesus they went out of favour.

very cool and cute in that blue and looks well with its mate - hope you enjoy it and the hassle was worth it

did you have to get an appendix 1 CITES for Brazilian - did you need to get one from the USA and EU - just curious as to how it worked at your end
    I'Il pm you!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Holy Trinity Batman!  
    Image result for holy trinity batman

Very nice & congrats!  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3614
    Wow added.

Lovely set you have there.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    did you have to get an appendix 1 CITES for Brazilian
    This piqued my interest. I have a 1965 Melody Maker. I'm not certain about the timbers in it. I just know that it sounds fabulous.

Set a valve amplifier to overdrive, roll the guitar tone pot back to five and a half, that Skylark single coil might as well be a P90. A Coricidin bottle slide completes the picture.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Very, VERY nice. "WOW" awarded.  B)

Boring paint finish/wear question; Why does it have those straight lines in it? Goldtops do that too. Does anyone know why?
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Congratulations - look lovely!

Although I have to say, as the proud owner of a similar aged special - you need that front P90!

• builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    stunning guitar and colour and that beautiful finish checking!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    peteri said:

Congratulations - look lovely!

Although I have to say, as the proud owner of a similar aged special - you need that front P90!

Nonsense! Roll down the tone and you're 90% there....

....and I say this as the proud owner of a similarly aged Special with an exceptional sounding neck P90 too! ;)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7102
    well in, you've scored
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Nice collection!! Happy NGD.  
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14177
    tFB Trader
    did you have to get an appendix 1 CITES for Brazilian
    This piqued my interest. I have a 1965 Melody Maker. I'm not certain about the timbers in it. I just know that it sounds fabulous.

Set a valve amplifier to overdrive, roll the guitar tone pot back to five and a half, that Skylark single coil might as well be a P90. A Coricidin bottle slide completes the picture.
    mahogany body/neck - same period and chances are it is a Brazilian fingerboard - but no CITES required if you are just keeping it - selling it out of the EU you will/should get one - selling it in the UK/EU, by the letter of the law you will need to obtain one, but no one bothers, so leave as is
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited May 2017
    Bootiful. Absolutely bootiful. Pelham Blue cool as [insert superlative here].

Forgive my ignorance, but the single coil pickup looks out of place. Is it really original, because to my Friday afternoon eyes it looks like an aftermarket mod?

Edit: and it looks like the slim head might mitigate any neck dive. What's not to like?
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5141
    Hang on while I go and get my sunglasses for that white Pickguard.........right I'm back. Only joking they all look ace B)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9656
    Stunnning. Enjoy.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it