Helix reverbs?

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
Just wondering what the Helix reverbs are like - worth selling the Big Sky for ? Or are they more in Boss or TC territory?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    No, keep your Big Sky. The Helix verbs compete when it comes to the bread and butter verbs, but the Big Sky is generally in a world of it's own. Best reverb pedal on the market imho, and I'm thinking about buying another one!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    @Drew_TNBD thanks mate, good to know! If I sell my pedals to get a Helix LT, I'll keep the Big Sky
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    Good Question …………Helix is Amazing ,fantastic effects ……the only one that is poor is the Reverbs !
    They reverberate ok with lots of ambience,trails etc but every single one has a very HARSH bite that is very snappy
    -it is particularly evident on the AC30 type amp sims 
    the Plate Tile Reverb is fierce and nasty
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    edited May 2017
    There arent as good as the FX8 verbs - no where near in fact imho.

However, they can be tweaked effectively.

Interesting, as Im wondering whether to 

i.) sell my beloved Big Sky
    ii.) incorporate it into the Helix

I love reverb, and Id still love to try the Free The Tone Ambi Space

Happy days !

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    This reminds me that I need to try making a gloomverb. Like shimmer, but an octave down.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow.

Just placed the Big Sky and Timeline into 'FX Loop 1' - incredible sounds, I can move them anywhere on the Helix 'board' AND even adjust mix, etc etc

The Helix LT, effects aside, even looks like a replacement for the Gigrig G2.

Love it.
  • Sporky said:
    This reminds me that I need to try making a gloomverb. Like shimmer, but an octave down.

I remember suggesting this on a thread aaaages ago, be pretty cool to play high riffs and have a low down ambience to go with. 

Or maybe it'd sound naff and that's why it's not been made. But then, shimmer was made and that sounds naff so who knows? ;) 

(I like shimmer more than I should) 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

The Helix basic reverbs are very good, I much prefer them to the Katana I had previously.  The spring is nice, hall good is good, as are the room and chamber.  

But if you want beautifully crafted ethereal atmospheric algo's like Neunaber or Strymon then you may be disappointed, they are not in there although you can built patches up to approximate these sounds.

I suppose if you look at reverb as an acoustic space, they may do the job, but enhanced atmospheric / modulated sounds are not (yet) covered.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    The Helix reverbs I've tried have been alright, but the Big Sky is the best reverb on the planet, very closely followed by the Eventide Space.

The Strymon covers every kind of reverb you'll ever need, and does it beautifully. I went on a proper merry-go-round with reverbs and came back to the Big Sky months ago, and mine is not going anywhere.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Wow.

Just placed the Big Sky and Timeline into 'FX Loop 1' - incredible sounds, I can move them anywhere on the Helix 'board' AND even adjust mix, etc etc

Love it.
    This is why the helix is so awesome.
    It does so much.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Wow.

Love it.
    It does so much.
    So awesome that you have to spend another £850 on delays and 'verbs because the inbuilt ones don't compeat with the best? (cynically pulling your fanboi leg).
    It never ends... the cynicism that is ;)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I know I know, sorry. It's just the irony wasn't lost on me that a thread saying the reverbs are't great descends into how awesome it is because you can plug in better reverbs.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    dindude said:
    Wow.

Love it.
    It does so much.
    So awesome that you have to spend another £850 on delays and 'verbs because the inbuilt ones don't compeat with the best? (cynically pulling your fanboi leg).
    current value of pedals connected to my helix... zero.

Ocassionaly a boss slicer or midi murf when I run my vsts through it from the mac.

Sometimes a two notes torpedo in the loop when I feel like cranking a real amp into it.

I love the sounds in helix but to focus on that piece only misses a huge amount of what it can do out.

Not the right tool for everyone but I love it.
    @dindude - to be fair mate, the whole point is that you CAN integrate other pedals into the best pedal switching device yet made...

• BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    @dindude - to be fair mate, the whole point is that you CAN integrate other pedals into the best pedal switching device yet made...

Also, you may be connecting two other pedals to another multiFX, but with the Helix amp & cab sims it's still a far lighter load to take to a gig/rehearsal.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    dindude said:
    I know I know, sorry. It's just the irony wasn't lost on me that a thread saying the reverbs are't great descends into how awesome it is because you can plug in better reverbs.
    Better than a unit that doesn't have good reverbs (the Helix ones are perfectly decent sounding, they're just basic) and doesn't have four assignable loops that you can do all sorts with...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    I'm of the same philosophy as @dindude ;here. I don't care about looping extra gear in, I'd want it to do everything. Nothing to do with ££ and all to do with simplicity for me.

Mind you I'd be fine with the Helix reverbs, and the delays too.
  • It's a shame that the reverbs and delays are not quite there yet. I'm sure they will get there though with FW updates. 

As an aside, I wish Fractal would put more time into effects (recent compressor updates aside), but I have no beef with the delays or reverbs on the Axe FX, they are sublime.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It's a shame that the reverbs and delays are not quite there yet. I'm sure they will get there though with FW updates. 

As an aside, I wish Fractal would put more time into effects (recent compressor updates aside), but I have no beef with the delays or reverbs on the Axe FX, they are sublime.
    The delays on the Helix are great. What makes you think otherwise?