Wall hangers - yes or no?

What's Hot
Guys, what are your thoughts on wall hangers? Do they have negative long term affects on the neck or guitar in general?

I'm specifically looking at the Hercules wall hangers, but am interested in better alternatives if they exist. Cheers
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I use slat-board and the hangers from Amazon, no issues here
  • Im intrigued why people use a slat board @sweepy? Do you just screw a few hangers into a plank and put the plank on the wall? For what purpose? 

I have about 6 guitars and it may be a worthwhile option for me if it has its benefits.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I had 14 hanging up, yes I know ;) it worked a treat for me
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    My fully original guitar shelf solution is clearly the superior option, sadly not in production though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited May 2017
    Ignore
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    I thought  when hung by the headstock, that the weight of the guitar could pull the neck straight.. 

But then I thought, the force of the string tension is greater than the guitars own weight. 

So surely it is no different hung up than it is laying flat on its back, face down, upside down.. 

I believe the only risk is that it has further to fall from a wall than a floor stand. 

If its a bolt on and the neck is securely tightened, that shouldnt move laterally in a loose pocket either if hung by the neck but not hanging dead straight.

Thats just my musings though. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Ive used wall hangers for years.  Never had any issue with damage to the neck.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Personally I believe a vacuum with no gravity would be a better solution for convenient storage that didn't cause issues long term.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Funny how that Rory Gallagher bloke was still able to get a tune out of a beaten up old Strat that had spent a couple of years lying in a ditch …………he probably wasn't too bothered about which type of wall-hanger he used 
    Looking at some footage it seems to have just about worked ok
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    I've used Hercules wall hangers for years, no problems

the risks are:

dryness and for some - humidity - since they are not in a case
    screws coming out - I don't use the crappy rawlplug that comes with the hanger, and I use long screws
    hanging over a radiator or where sun comes through a window
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I used wall hangers for years with no issue, I only stopped using then as I made a multi rack to fit more guitars in less space.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Used them for years til I moved to a house with thin plasterboard walls which I don't really trust to hold my guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    tFB Trader
    I use the Hercules hangers both at work and home- they don't mark the guitars, even Gibson models, which I've seen get marked with some hangers - Pretty impossible for the guitar to fall of the hanger - No issues at all, other than dust
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Yes for me, with careful choice of wall space.

In order of importance:
    *you must not have them above a radiator.
    *you should try to avoid direct sunlight if possible.
    *and given the choice, always go for an internal wall rather than an external one.

when I was house hunting I saw a conservatory with wall hangers on the one solid wall.  Terrible idea
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I have five hanging from Hercules hangers mounted to battens in the front room. No problems with neck stability.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    All of mine are hung up using Hercules hangers. They are mounted on solid walls using decent rawlplugs and long screws.

One benefit for me is that all of my guitars are out, rather than hidden away in their cases as they were in our previous house making them more readily available to play!
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Simply drill a hole through the headstock of each guitar and drive a large nail into the wall....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    tFB Trader
    TonyR said:

One benefit for me is that all of my guitars are out, rather than hidden away in their cases as they were in our previous house making them more readily available to play!
    I see that as a big positive - instant access even if you only have 5 or 10 mins sometimes for a quick doodle
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I believe they change the wood's cellular structure to such a point that the guitar becomes more resonant and richer sounding.
    When I want a thin, weedy, plinky Stratocaster to sound like a muddy, rich, indistinct sounding Les Paul, I hang it for a few months. Forget your Tone Magnets and save yourself a few bob.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom