Finished building my first amp!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MistergMisterg Frets: 332
    thermionic said:
    Pretty sure I read somewhere about leaving the mains lead plugged in but switched off to discharge filter caps, I should check the books I have...
    That sounds like the standard advice to control/avoid static damage when working on computers....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    You need to be careful doing that - the switch on the wall socket will be for the live only, so the neutral is still 'live' into the amp. Sometimes it can carry enough voltage to give you a surprise, although it's very unlikely to be dangerous unless there's something major wrong with your supply wiring.

There's enough voltage on mine to trip the RCD to my workshop if I forget to fully unplug the amp and touch the neutral while working on it. Which is good, because it shows the RCD is very sensitive and is working correctly, but it can be annoying!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Personally if I am working on an amp, unless I am probing inside it when it's on, I like to unplug it from the mains, so I am 100% sure that there is no mains going to the unit.

That's why I like IEC sockets rather than captive leads as it's easy to see if the amp is unplugged.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Ah right, of course - current dissipated as heat, I2R.

Pretty sure I read somewhere about leaving the mains lead plugged in but switched off to discharge filter caps, I should check the books I have...
    You may have read this somewhere, but it's wrong (by the way most books I've read on guitar amps are riddled with technical errors).

• Re: insulating stuff -

I'm fairly confident of my soldering, so the connections between the IEC inlet, power switch, Tx and standby switch are unlikely to be issues when troubleshooting. Same with the connections to the output tx. I heatshrink all of these partly to neaten it up, partly to remove a few of the many lethal bits of an amp. It also means that if you have a thoughtless moment (most of the pros admit to them!) and try to fix something without unplugging, the discharge resistors will hopefully have drained all exposed connections - they won't drain the IEC and power Tx terminals!
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Memphis said:
     It also means that if you have a thoughtless moment (most of the pros admit to them!) and try to fix something without unplugging....
    Errr, no.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    edited June 2018
    Sorted out a couple of things while I'm waiting for my cab. Chickenhead knobs are for AC30s and this is more of a Marshall-flavoured thing. But the panel isn't brass/plexi coloured... so, silver knobs for the Jubilee look:

Got myself a Greenback from the classifieds, described as VGC - can't argue with that:

Had to test it right away - it's a bit ghettofabulous until I get the cab to put it all in:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    I should be picking this fine piece of furniture up this weekend:

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398

Nice job  

The other guitarist in one of my covers band built himself the SE5A previous version of that amp and made himself a 2 x 12" cab loaded with 2 Greenbacks. He gigg'ed it with me on Friday and it sounded fantastic, really organic crunch sound with a little home made Tube screamer for boost

If your mic'ed up those little amps are great to gig with as you can wind em up and get a glorious saturated crunch sound. If I didn't have the little HT5 I would make one
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Very nice!
    edited June 2018
    Well, now I can say that it really is finally complete. I'm just back from a little industrial estate nestled way up in the Swansea valley, home to AF Custom Cabs. It was good to meet Mark, even better to find out that he's a first language Welsh speaker like myself and have a chat about amps. I'd sent him a couple of photos of my chassis with every possible dimension marked up, so it was a matter of marking and drilling 4 holes before screwing it all back together. The cab is absolute quality, solid pine (not ply) and looks exactly like I wanted it. 

Here it is, the mini-bluesbreaker, Class 5-killer:
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 332
    Neat. Very neat! :)

(Mae o'n edrych yn dda iawn!)

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Very nice - you should be proud!