Sorted for now :Cheap Stratocaster for Project - What would be best?

What's Hot
bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
edited May 2017 in Making & Modding
I would like to buy a reasonably priced stratocaster to teach myself a bit about guitar maintenance and modification.
There is a Koa Stratocaster locally on Bumtree.  Made in Korea but looks very nice.

I am considering 
MIK
MIJ
MIM
or Tokai from the 80's

Would anyone care to offer an order of preference that I should be looking at?

Muchas gracias señoras y señores 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Generally speaking, the parts fit is more precise on MIJ than MIK and early MIM.

What level of playability do you expect from the finished educational experiment? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    I am hoping for something approaching US standard or better, if I add the right upgrades
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    There is a New Old Stock Blade HSH on Ebay for £299. It's a stunning Candy Apple red colour. Of course as the route is cut for HSH you can use any popular pickup config on your new pick guard without getting the heavy tools out.
    I have an RH2 and the tuning on it is rock solid.
    Thanks for the tip!

Hurry, before HarrySeven beats you to it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited May 2017
    A NOS Blade is likely to be very good already, how much room for improvement is there going to be?

I'd be going for some kind of Squier myself or Mexi Standard, preferably a bit old and in need of some TLC.

Or make yourself a Partscaster, great fun, full control, plenty to learn...
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    There is a cheap mim without electrics in the classifieds mate 
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Jack_ said:
    A NOS Blade is likely to be very good already, how much room for improvement is there going to be?

I'd be going for some kind of Squier myself or Mexi Standard, preferably a bit old and in need of some TLC.

I would add a new scratch plate with some top quality pick ups and pots. Maybe change the block for a cold rolled Steel. There's a guy on Ebay who makes 'em in the UK. Good bit cheaper than a Callaham. Wilkinson do 'em too I think I've got Wilkinson parts on my Blade and they're great.
    Maybe locking tuners (this would only be necessary if there were tuning issues though, which I wouldn't be expecting).
    There is a cheap mim without electrics in the classifieds mat 

I noticed that but I think I will would prefer a whole guitar that I can at least put back together again if things do no go to planElectroDan said:
    Jack_ said:

I would add a new scratch plate with some top quality pick ups and pots. Maybe change the block for a cold rolled Steel. There's a guy on Ebay who makes 'em in the UK. Good bit cheaper than a Callaham. Wilkinson do 'em too I think I've got Wilkinson parts on my Blade and they're great.
    Maybe locking tuners (this would only be necessary if there were tuning issues though, which I wouldn't be expecting).

Parstcaster is very appealing. @lonestar is local to me and his work looks good. 

I am going to stick with Fender as there should be a reasonable chance of buying parts that fit. 

Modmins, should this be moved to making and modding? Apologies if the thread is in the wrong category.
    bacchanalian said:
    I am going to stick with Fender as there should be a reasonable chance of buying parts that fit. 
    Actually, this opens a whole new can of worms.

Some "Fender" parts are made to Imperial units. Some are Metric. Pickguard fastening screw alignment is an obvious case in point. Many Fender and Squier parts are not interchangeable without minor modification.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    The GuitarBuild bodies and AllParts neck I use fit together better than anything I've seen. It would appear, to me, I've found the perfect match to be able to offer a nicely finished pairing. Thanks for the mention too :)
    lonestar said:
    The GuitarBuild bodies and AllParts neck I use fit together better than anything I've seen. It would appear, to me, I've found the perfect match to be able to offer a nicely finished pairing. Thanks for the mention too :)
    I have been looking over the Guitar Build site for a while but was put off by the complexity of ordering a neck. The Allparts necks seem to be in short supply.  am starting to think that a partscaster may be the way to go.
    edited May 2017
    Double post

tFB Trader
    I'm ordering AllParts stock tomorrow. 
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    I've got a great mexican stratocaster classic 60s for sale which comes with stacked potenciometers to wire in the double tapped pickups it currently has, making it a great project strat for mods as well as a great instrument in it's own right. Sorry for the shameless plug.
  • wackojackowackojacko Frets: 59
    lonestar said:
    Your work does indeed look stunning. Have been a fan of MJT relic bodies (USA) for some time and been waiting and waiting for a UK competitor to come along - expect an order later in the summer - I want to do a lightly relic' Clapton Blackie so after a body/neck
    combo. 

was going to ask, as a man in the know, what the situation is with rosewood necks via AllParts? I wanted to order a few weeks ago and they said no chance due to CITES but hopefully it will be resolved later in the year? 
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    Your work does indeed look stunning. Have been a fan of MJT relic bodies (USA) for some time and been waiting and waiting for a UK competitor to come along - expect an order later in the summer - I want to do a lightly relic' Clapton Blackie so after a body/neck
    combo. 

was going to ask, as a man in the know, what the situation is with rosewood necks via AllParts? I wanted to order a few weeks ago and they said no chance due to CITES but hopefully it will be resolved later in the year? 
    Thanks buddy, that means a lot. Im happy to build the reputation slowly, im not expecting anything too big too soon but so far its been so much fun :)

I believe there is a delay with AllParts just now... something to do with import/export deals (so I was told). But tbh ill be ordering what I can in order to offer something for sale. Ill see what happens
  • wackojackowackojacko Frets: 59
    lonestar said:
    lonestar said:
    combo. 

Thanks buddy, that means a lot. Im happy to build the reputation slowly, im not expecting anything too big too soon but so far its been so much fun :)

I believe there is a delay with AllParts just now... something to do with import/export deals (so I was told). But tbh ill be ordering what I can in order to offer something for sale. Ill see what happens
    T'is the best way. Natural and organic growth. No doubt that you'll "get there". Keep it up. Stick to bodies and necks and then maybe move into aged/relic hardware. 
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    lonestar said:
    combo. 

T'is the best way. Natural and organic growth. No doubt that you'll "get there". Keep it up. Stick to bodies and necks and then maybe move into aged/relic hardware. 
    Im trying not to pimp the name too much tbh but im glad to see its gradually filtering out there :) Ive done some hardware already but it never seems to sit too long before it gets sold (Ive even sold my photo prop hardware!)