How much? (Modding question)

What's Hot
alcxamalcxam Frets: 112
So, I have a Les Paul and want to get the pickups and pots changed out. I plan to leave the guitar in with a local tech to get the swap done (I'll hand over the pickups and the 4x pots and the guitar, of course!).
How much do you think it would be likely to cost to get the work done?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Honestly do it yourself, it's so easy,:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    edited May 2017
    I'd have thought the Tech would charge @£50 if you supply all the parts as that would include re-stringing etc etc 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    Yes, that's about right - maybe less. It should theoretically be about a half hour job if there are no unexpected complications. Many techs will have a minimum charge time of one hour though, so it may not make a lot of difference exactly how long it takes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• wackojackowackojacko Frets: 59
    Also depends on what pots you are using.

if using short shaft - approx £5 each
    long shaft pots anywhere between £6.50-£8.00 each.
    but it is a fairly easy job and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes for a tech to do. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Metric parts into a Metric guitar should be swift. Imperial into Imperial should be swift. Imperial into Metric will involve some enlargement of the holes for the pot shafts.

Are you simply asking for the soldering, spanner and screwdriver jobs or do you expect the pickup heights to be set too?

These extra tasks add to the job time.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    If you factor buying a soldering iron and solder etc that's @£30 so unless you are doing other jobs it's easier to pay someone else to do it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10360
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    http://
    If you factor buying a soldering iron and solder etc that's @£30 so unless you are doing other jobs it's easier to pay someone else to do it 
    Getting someone else to do it = easy
    Doing it yourself and understanding the inside of your guitar = priceless

You can pick up a cheap soldering iron for just over a tenner on e bay, and if you don't plan on using it that much it'll be adequate. Good quality solder is pricey, but Maplin's lead free solder is very good and fairly cheap. 
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Faithfull-Power-Plus-Soldering-Iron-80W-240V-Heat-Resistant-Handle-SI80W-/122221889445?hash=item1c74fe07a5:g:PuQAAOSwx2dYJdbD

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-lead-free-solder-100g-n29ar

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I said £30 for the soldering iron as you'd want one powerful enough to solder the back of the Pots ;)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I got a 45w adjustable iron from Farnells for £13 + post, it's the one with the blue base you see all over the web with different prices. This is a nice one to start with if it's a first go and you fancy it, replacing like-for-like. Take pics, do a sketch, open beer, have at it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    £13 is a good price, I'll look into one as a backup 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader

Here you go Sweepy, even better it's 12 squid and 48w, link

Hope that works, it's Duratool D01843 if not. Got some extra tips from fleabay, fat spade ones etc, I think it came with one slim tip if I remember right.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Don't forget to put a towel over the guitar so that it doesn't get splattered with solder drips
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited May 2017
    Corvus said:
    I got a 45w adjustable iron from Farnells for £13 + post, it's the one with the blue base you see all over the web with different prices. This is a nice one to start with if it's a first go and you fancy it, replacing like-for-like. Take pics, do a sketch, open beer, have at it.

I paid under £12 for the same one this week again from CpC/farnells

Got lots of patch cables to make and a pedal board to wire up so if it lasts those jobs I'm happy.

Edit: see you posted link.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3745
    edited May 2017
    @Roland is bang on. The back of my Les Paul has a nice solder mark. 

@TheGuitarWeasel helped me over the phone the first time I did a guitar with push-pulls. His help was priceless. The knowledge gained definitely helped enormously.,
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    TheGuitarWeasel said:

Good quality solder is pricey, but Maplin's lead free solder is very good and fairly cheap. 
    I have to disagree… that stuff is pretty crap. The added-silver version is so far superior it's easily worth the extra cost. It flows and wets far better and is much easier to make clean joints with.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/lead-free-silver-solder-roll-100g-n32ar

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Unless you actually feel that you must do the job yourself, do not feel pressurized against getting a tech to do the work for you.  It is not essential to know everything about the guitar workings, to enjoy playing it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    ICBM said:
    TheGuitarWeasel said:

Good quality solder is pricey, but Maplin's lead free solder is very good and fairly cheap. 
    I have to disagree… that stuff is pretty crap. The added-silver version is so far superior it's easily worth the extra cost. It flows and wets far better and is much easier to make clean joints with.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/lead-free-silver-solder-roll-100g-n32ar
    +1 for the added silver version
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    If you don't feel confident absolutely pay a professional. 
  • alcxamalcxam Frets: 112
    Thanks to everyone who took time to answer (and all the guys who encouraged me to DIY!) - plenty to think about there, then...
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    I'd get a tech to do it. Feline is recommended if youre near croydon, but Grizzly in Hackney is also worth a look. 

You might want to add new strings to the price. 

Going rate seems to be about £50-£55 an hour electrical labour.. 

I would think any good tech would set the pup height for you as part of it.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...