The current range of Fender AVRI Strats, any experience?

What's Hot
NeilNeil Frets: 3594
edited May 2017 in Guitar
I've been having a look on line at the current AVRI Strats.

From what I can gather they are '56, '59 and '65.

I do like the '65 in Shoreline gold with matching headstock but most of the other colours are a bit boring.

Colours aside, I realise they have different shaped necks and possibly pick ups.

Anyone own one of these modern AVRI's or have any real time experience with them?

What are they like, worth the money?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and see pics if you have them. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I had a Sonic Blue 59 reissue (with rosewood neck) until fairly recently.

It played well - the neck shapes are different depending on the model - the 65 is slightly fatter. The pick-ups were a tad 'spiky' to my ears - had I kept the guitar, I'd have ultimately changed them - the received wisdom is the 65s sound better. The 'flash coat' finish was exceptionally prone to marking - but not in a good way.

Overall, a 'nice' - but not 'great' guitar.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    it is not a fault as such but the 7.25" radius and smaller vintage frets can make it less 'user friendly'to many players so play one first to see how you get on with the feel and set up - Overall I'd say the AVRi's are more than credible

some good info on an old review if that helps you http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/fender-american-vintage-65-stratocaster-568334
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited May 2017
    I have a '65 and the pre-2012 revisions '62.

The '65 has a meatier neck and, in my opinion, a meatier sound. If you do the Beck/Knopfler fingers and thumb thing, the '65 is the one to get.

My '62 is modified with Duncan Antiquity II Surfer neck and middle position pickups. (The stock 57/62 single coils were gutless.) 

In my opinion, an important part of getting a good sound from this series of instruments is 010-046 gauge strings and a medium high action. When I first tried the '65, for some reason, it had 009-042 gauge strings. (Strung this way, richardhomer's "spiky" description is precisely what should have been expected.)

I agree with g4y that the post-revision Fender AVRI guitars are credible. Out and out "greatness" costs Custom Shop prices.
    Be seeing you.
  • NiallseroreillyNiallseroreilly Frets: 504
    edited May 2017
    I have a 59 in sonic blue and i love it. Really nice d shape neck, bridge pickup can be a bit spikey... however the sounds from the other positions are the quintessence of stratiness...

Playability or lack their of is noticeable compared to my DGT but I feel these limitations force me to play in a different way and I ultimately really enjoy it...

I would put it on a par with a lot of custom shop models I have played.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411

I agree with g4y that the post-revision Fender AVRI guitars are credible. Out and out "greatness" costs Custom Shop prices.
    You can find great AVRIs.  You will probably need to play several though.  I've got a '62 reissue that I bought new 14 years ago, but I've played quite a few others and never found another one I thought was as good as mine.  I used to go into shops to try amps, and I'd use a '62 reissue if they had one but I gave up in the end because they all sounded a bit dead compared with mine.  (Then I got a Lazy J and stopped going into shops to try amps.)

To be honest you can find great Mexican Fenders as well, but you would probably have to play 25 to find one great one.

I have owned a CS Tele, and quite a few other high end guitars, and I get what the Custom Shop is about but there are great guitars lower down the Fender range.  There are also some Custom Shop guitars that are underwhelming.  If I had to buy sight unseen I'd go CS any time, but you can find great ones that are not CS.  When I bought my AVRI I wasn't really looking to buy a guitar.  I used the guitar to try out an amp and was blown away by how good the guitar was, and ended up going back and buying it a couple of weeks later.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Obviously, when trawling for a good 'un, it helps to have a firm idea of how good a guitar can be. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    edited May 2017
    it is not a fault as such but the 7.25" radius and smaller vintage frets can make it less 'user friendly'to many players so play one first to see how you get on with the feel and set up - Overall I'd say the AVRi's are more than credible

some good info on an old review if that helps you http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/fender-american-vintage-65-stratocaster-568334
    Thanks for that.

I already have a US Standard with 9.5" and med jumbos but I actually like the 7.25 radius and smaller frets. I like vintage type stuff.

I have a MIM Classic '60's already and idly wondered how much better the AVRI's would be,  although the feedback so far is not too great TBH. Perhaps a bit expensive for what they are?

I'll be honest, the '65 in Shoreline gold with matching headstock really took my fancy as I generally  shop by colour.
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    What is the situation  these days concerning neck stickiness ?

Dont think fender ever had the treacle necks like you get on a gibson, but i do know they have had issues before.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    One of the key selling points for me with the current AVRI is the finish, it really is proper thin and dingable. I'd say much more so that CS Fenders, where the relic'ing doesn't seem age any further even after 15 years of use. For those who like new looking guitars but like them to age, it's a great option. I've thought about buying one and getting it refretted and taking a bit of radius off the fretboard at the same time as an alternative to a NOS CS Strat.