Recording a live gig from amp

What's Hot
Hi all, up wasn't sure which topic this would fall into so I apologise if this isn't the right one. So, my boyfriend is the guitar player and I would like to help him further his Facebook page by filling it up with some quality videos of his gigs. 
I'd like to add I know very little about the music/guitar jargon so I apologise for this very lengthy and how annoying I will be  :#
He is a lone guitar player and singer. His acoustic Taylor is plugged into his acoustic Cube amp along with the mic. I was wondering if there is a way I can record the sound from the amp in the simplist of ways. I plan to film on my camera but would prefer to take the sound directly from the amp to try and avoid the background noise of the venue. 
Can anyone help me? Please keep it beginner friendly and very simple
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    You can get a battery powered recorder like the Zoom which can record two channels simultaneously from the built in mics or two outboard mics.

Here's the older model

Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152550642538

Or the h1 if you want it really simple

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you very much for your reply!
    And this would just plug into the amp or?
    Would I be able to transfer it onto a computer?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited May 2017
    You mic the amp and it records the audio files to an internal sd card.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Or get a focusrite 212 and a laptop. Download some free recording software. Mic the amp, plug the other end into the 212, plug the 212 into your laptop. Use something like a sennheiser e906 (or e609) as your mic. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • And the mic isn't going to pick up any background noise?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258

He is a lone guitar player and singer. His acoustic Taylor is plugged into his acoustic Cube amp along with the mic. I was wondering if there is a way I can record the sound from the amp in the simplist of ways. I plan to film on my camera but would prefer to take the sound directly from the amp to try and avoid the background noise of the venue. 

It would be helpful if you could find out the exact make and model of the amp. Roland make a whole line of amps under the 'Cube' name (or variation of) - I suspect form your description (plugging in both an acoustic guitar and amp) that it might be a Roland CUBE Street EX ?

What you would need to record direct from the amp is for the amp to have some kind of 'line output' socket(s) - possibly labelled 'direct out' or 'recording out'. Many amps have a 'headphone out' socket but in most cases these will disable the main speakers when you plug in - obviously no use at a gig!

In the case of the Cube Street EX linked above, it has a pair of 'line out' sockets for stereo left and right. You could connect these to a small portable digital recorder (or indeed laptop, tablet or whatever) with the correct sort of cable - in this case a cable with a pair of 1/4" plugs at one end (goes into the amp) and a stereo minijack plug (i.e. small headphones plug) at the other (into the recorder).

Personally, I would use a dedicated digital recorder at a gig as they tend to be more robust/reliable than computers. There are a few good makes - Zoom (as mentioned above), Tascam, or Yamaha. I have the small Yamaha Pocketrak PR5 myself which I can recommend. You need to make sure whatever you are recording on has a 'line in' stereo socket as well as the built in microphones.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Well the 906 is very good at picking up mainly sound which is loud and close up, but there will be some bleed from the audience. Alternatively you could go straight from the line out of your amp into the focusrite (it accepts jack lead plugs as well as mic lead plugs) but the sound will not be as awesome because it won't have come out of a speaker. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I'm pretty certain it is the Roland cube Street EX. 
    Our local music shop stocks the Focusrite Scarlet 2nd Gen studio pack which includes a microphone, would this be suitable for what I want to do? 

Thanks for the help guys
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

That amp has a line out, so you can easily record the sound going through it.

Do you need the camera to record the Audio, or will you sync / edit it afterwards?

If so, decide what you want to record the audio on, standalone recorder, laptop, mac, iphone etc.  Then you just need to see what options there are for that device.

• I was going to sync the audio with the footage in editing. Looking for a new laptop too if anyone has any suggestions!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I would just get a USB interface then, that's nice and easy.

I'm not an expert on laptops but for recording live audio a solid state drive would be preferable, less sensitive to vibrations that a conventional hard drive and faster boot speed.   If you are editing video and using effects look for 8GB ram minimum and latest gen intel i5.   Dell are generally good I believe.

Macbook pro's are good, but very expensive compared to a Windows Machine.

For the interface focusrite are good.
  • Thank you very much! You've been very helpful