Rat Amps dummy load box

What's Hot
JD50JD50 Frets: 650
edited May 2017 in Amps
I am thinking of getting one of these. Have any of you guys tried one, speaker emulation any good? http://www.ratvalveamps.com/dummy-load
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

According to the site blurb there is NO speaker emulation, just a line level output. I also suspect that a good 50 watter, driven to distortion would make that box get quite warm!

Good value though! I doubt I could make one for that and get a decent drinkypoo?

Dave.

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Works fine, I had one - sold it because I didn't need it.

It's basically some decent quality resistors properly wired up, so don't mistake it for a reactive load or anything like that. But it does the job ok

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    edited May 2017
    I bought one for recording demos - I'll be honest, I thought it was pretty crap. No matter what impulses I put after it, the low end was fuzzy and pretty much every amp sounded the same. And yes, it gets really quite toasty.

Much happier with real reactive loads.

EDIT: I should say - there's nothing wrong with the build of it at all. It's just that the nature of resistive loads is that they don't result in a realistic sound.
    <space for hire>
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 650
    Thanks for the comments guys. So is there a cheap way to get a good sound via head phones from a tube head without spending big?
    JD50 said:
    Thanks for the comments guys. So is there a cheap way to get a good sound via head phones from a tube head without spending big?
    Do you have an audio interface for your computer?
    <space for hire>
    Yes but I really just want to plug into the amp and straight out to headphones... Plus amp and pc in different rooms.
    OK...for a properly realistic sound, you're probably looking at the Torpedo Live, but that's not cheap.

An alternate solution might be to get a reactive load and an impulse loader - maybe the Digitech CabDryVR?
    <space for hire>
    There is a TAD silencer in the classifieds. According to the company website that has speaker emulation, I could plug headphones into the line out?
    JD50 said:
    There is a TAD silencer in the classifieds. According to the company website that has speaker emulation, I could plug headphones into the line out?
    I've never heard an analogue cab emulator that sounded remotely like the real thing - not even the Red Box. Guess it's worth a try, though, if you don't mind having to spend more money on something like a CabDryVR later on.

For reference, though, the AMT PE-15 is a 15W reactive load at about £100, and will happily run with more powerful amps as long as you don't go mad with the volume (there's an input level meter to help with that). That and the CabDryVR would come to about £230, and that'll result in a much better sound at much lower cost than anything with a built-in cab sim short of the Torpedo Live.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lots to think about thanks for the advice.
    JD50 said:
    Alternatively...just get yourself a Zoom G3 or similar, and get 90% of the sound at a fraction of the cost and space requirement :)
    <space for hire>
    JD50 said:
    Alternatively...just get yourself a Zoom G3 or similar, and get 90% of the sound at a fraction of the cost and space requirement :)
    Funny enough been looking at the G3 and L6 Pods on ebay. I do run irig on my ipod which is ok for free but would.like something better quality with more options..... Suppose I could sell the head and go Katana...