Les Pauls: TOM & Stoptail vs Wraparound bridges

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
I'm looking to get an LP-type built and I'm currently leaning towards using a wraparound bridge based on my preference for PRS and Juniors in the past.

What do you think I'd be gaining/losing out on by going for the wraparound over the TOM & stoptail route? At a later date I may even add a bigsby too...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    With a wraparound you maybe loosing some adjustability dependent upon which wraparound you go for.

In terms of tonevi tend to find the wrap arounds have more "twang".
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited May 2017
    You can get a greater range of feel in terms of setups on a TOM in my experience. Break angle definitely makes a difference to playing feel (especially bending), and with a TOM you'll be able to try more angles.

With an adjustable wrap you can use the intonation screws on the posts to do this to a lesser extent (further away from the posts plays tighter), but if you go for a bridge with fixed intonation like the standard PRS wrap you'll be stuck with what intonates.

In terms of tone I don't think I've played enough otherwise directly comparable guitars to make a choice... but in terms of setups I'd go TOM 1st, adjustable wrap 2nd, non adjustable wrap 3rd. YMMV!

If you're building from scratch I'd consider locking posts whatever you choose. They're a nice to have, rather than an essential, but worth it IMO.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Fitting a Bigsby to a guitar with a wraparound requires more major work than to one with a tune-o-matic, if that makes the decision easier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    edited May 2017
    ICBM said:
    Fitting a Bigsby to a guitar with a wraparound requires more major work than to one with a tune-o-matic, if that makes the decision easier.
    Listen to that...the man knows his stuff. The decision should therefore be made. :)
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    I should probably add, it's not a guitar without a bigsby! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    On any guitar style I've seen where both have been available/possible in some form or another, to me, the TOM + stop tail route pushes out more midrange and sounds a little girthier, whereas a one-piece bridge, adjustable or not, seems to be more about the preservation of harmonics and high-end. So if you want that fat vintage Les Paul sound, the 2-piece rig is the way to go. A one-piece will sound a little more modern with more sparkle.

Which one is *better* to me depends on the guitar and the pickups and what I want to do with it, but obviously YMMV.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134

Fair points on being able to affect the string tension - it's been so long since I've had a TOM-equipped guitar that I'd forgotten about that extra!

Might as well go for something a little different to what I already have too - hopefully once it's built it'll save me pining for a 594 / 594 SingleCut at some point.

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Given the choice I prefer a wraparound, my best sounding guitars are all wraparound. That could just be coincidence of course.. Plus I don't feel the need to constantly fiddle with the intonation :)