Pickup - Identification

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Maxon made a humbucker with the "Wide Range" type screw arrangement back in the 1970s. I was given one to stick in a cheap SG copy when I was about 16 - IIRC, it didn't sound that different to most 1970s cheapo Jap humbuckers.

I've seen one in a Telecaster Custom copy.

BTW, there is a giveaway that its Japanese... and its the dot stamped into each polepiece screw denoting that these are not Philips or Pozi drive but JIS.  Similar but different observe...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10227
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader
    The bobbins and bent steel pole shoes, together with the odd cross head pole screws tell me 70s/ posibly early 80s Japanese. Sadly no more specific than that. Were I to take a pure guess, I'd say from a lower end Tele Custom copy ... but I may be totally wrong there.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys. The JIS bit is really interesting. 
    This came out of a 70s Tele, so makes sense. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For the record, sounded really good - but then I'm getting on a bit lol
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10227
    tFB Trader
    Some of those early Japanese units sounded rather nice ... the shame was loads of folks ripped them out and replaced them with DiMarzios ... sure, more output, but less character. The bent steel keeper bars are of a design similar to ones found in Gold Foil pickups, and their low mass compared to normal keeper bars may well have a sonic effect. The bobbin height seems quite tall too, so I'd expect a good treble response. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom