Telecasters!

What's Hot
GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7144
edited May 2017 in Guitar
And so the merry-go-round that is my relationship with telecasters shows no signs of relenting. I'm on to my sixth, and I'm really feeling the love for them again at the minute. Currently have a Mexican Classic series '72 Custom, and with a few tweaks, it's astoundingly good. Have previously had a couple of USA standards, and it's comfortably better than one, if not both. Build quality is superb, and it's as light as a feather - <7.5lbs. 

The pickups are Mojos. These need special mention. The WRHB is a joy and was expected to be so when I ordered it, but my god the bridge; I went for an Esquire at Marc's recommendation and it's spectacular. Quite simply, it's how a tele sounds in my head. Would recommend to any and all in possession of a tele. I also fitted compensated brass saddles, a bone nut, and stripped the neck back to wood before it got the Birchwood Casey treatment. Really is a hell of a guitar, and was buttons money in reality. 

It begs the question why I never have a tele as my number 1. I find them still relatively uncomfortable to play owing to their squareness - my right arm never feels entirely happy resting on a right-angle. That said, when a tele is good, it's very hard to beat. I find myself hankering for a beaten up butterscotch. 

Theyll probably never oust my jag or jazzmaster love, but I suspect I'll always be drawn to them. Anyone else have this kind of odd pull to a certain type of guitar? - six seems excessive to me!

This post has little to no point D
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 374
    There's no pictures Gav, you know the rules.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    The question is not whether or not you need a Telecaster, but whether one is actually enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7144
    The question is not whether or not you need a Telecaster, but whether one is actually enough.
    Genuinely think this might be the case 
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
    I thought I was a Strat man through and through until I picked up my Tokai Breezysound. I think that Teles are the most versatile guitar; warmer than a Strat but not as muddy or overpowered as anything with humbuckers.

Having said that; I've yet to try or own anything with a P90 in. Jags/Jazzmasters are P90s, right? If anyone knows about those guitars, its you Gav!
    I thought I was a Strat man through and through until I picked up my Tokai Breezysound. I think that Teles are the most versatile guitar; warmer than a Strat but not as muddy or overpowered as anything with humbuckers.

Having said that; I've yet to try or own anything with a P90 in. Jags/Jazzmasters are P90s, right? If anyone knows about those guitars, its you Gav!
    Nope, not P90s - both single coils. 
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    edited May 2017
    Don't say that...I'm trying to fight off GAS for a rosewood board tele... anguished 
    I think it's probably something to do with the utilitarian brilliance of a tele; playing others guitars for the most part, I seem to forget that you can pretty much throw a tele down the stairs and it still be in tune. There's a robustness not found in any other guitar. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    I think it's probably something to do with the utilitarian brilliance of a tele; playing others guitars for the most part, I seem to forget that you can pretty much throw a tele down the stairs and it still be in tune. There's a robustness not found in any other guitar. 
    Actually you could pretty much do that with my PRS Mira, I'd get much more cross about it than if something like that happened with one of my three Telecasters and one Telecaster Shaped Object though, and there's a certain value in that...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited May 2017
    Sorry mate, I can't hear the difference. What I need are some sound samples to go with the pics ... 

Nonetheless, your guitar looks fantastic, although I'd prefer a rosewood board.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    +1 for the Mojo WR pickups... I have them in my Tele Deluxe with trem. Transformed a good guitar with slightly meh sound into something really special.

On the subject of Teles... I've played them on and off for 25 years. If I could only own one guitar in the world, it would be a Tele - but it has to have the early 50s style bridge pickup (and the later wiring). Those things are PHATT sounding and yet will do anything. The original neck pickup is much maligned but I like it - its jazzy, warm and has a great rhythm tone. Where it falls down is against the big bloozy soloing voice of the Strat - but hey, I like it just the way it is.

I've got the bones of four Teles - all do something slightly different, yet its the original spec one that I think is the more 'complete' guitar.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

fandango said:
    Sorry mate, I can't hear the difference. What I need are some sound samples to go with the pics ... 

Nonetheless, your guitar looks fantastic, although I'd prefer a rosewood board.
    That's the thing; I much prefer rosewood boards, I like contoured bodies significantly more, I don't like not being able to use right angled jack leads.... I'm sure I could go on.... but a good tele is a thing of wonder. 

As for clips, I'll try and do some decent videos - this is a very quick vid of the WRHB I'd recorded for my own sketch purposes, (and it is truly wonderful) but people need to hear the bridge!

impmann said:
    +1 for the Mojo WR pickups... I have them in my Tele Deluxe with trem. Transformed a good guitar with slightly meh sound into something really special.

On the subject of Teles... I've played them on and off for 25 years. If I could only own one guitar in the world, it would be a Tele - but it has to have the early 50s style bridge pickup (and the later wiring). Those things are PHATT sounding and yet will do anything. The original neck pickup is much maligned but I like it - its jazzy, warm and has a great rhythm tone. Where it falls down is against the big bloozy soloing voice of the Strat - but hey, I like it just the way it is.

I've got the bones of four Teles - all do something slightly different, yet its the original spec one that I think is the more 'complete' guitar.
    Have you tried Marc's Esquire? You really need to get one man, so so good 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Yep, after a long while of not really caring for it much my 2015 AV52 Tele has become my favourite guitar. It sounds great through my Morgan PR12 and gets most play time over the R8 and CS Strat. I fitted some Glendale saddles which are much nicer than the stock ones and I love playing it now, with it 7.25" radius neck and skinny frets and all.

Yep, after a long while of not really caring for it much my 2015 AV52 Tele has become my favourite guitar. It sounds great through my Morgan PR12 and gets most play time over the R8 and CS Strat. I fitted some Glendale saddles which are much nicer than the stock ones and I love playing it now, with it 7.25" radius neck and skinny frets and all.
    I have a real hankering for the AV52 - always have. 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    edited May 2017
    Been checking out the new Fender Teles with the contoured bodies and compound radius necks, truss rod adjustment at the heel. Very nice guitars and super comfy even though my other guitars are both shortscales. Think they are Fender professional series? Would love a go on one of the Jim Campilongo Teles.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Always the mark of a good guitar. Whether it can be thrown down the stairs and remain unscathed.
    I test all my guitars this way. If they break, I don't play them.
     :) 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    I'm back in love  with my USA tele and seriously thinking I need another too. Tele's are just great, you cannot beat them. I also agree with the comment above, the neck pickup is seriously underrated.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Impeccable timing..... I tried out a Baja Tele earlier today, wow, i was very impressed. Definitely going to have to get one i think. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    impmann said:

Have you tried Marc's Esquire? You really need to get one man, so so good 
    I have the 'Broadcaster' that he makes in one of my Teles - similar specs and sounds incredible. It will soon be paired with a gold foil (its on order).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.