Wilkinson Tele bridges - any views?

What's Hot
MattPMattP Frets: 252

I'm looking to replace the bridge on my parts tele and am considering this part. It appeals because the plate will allow for top and through string loading. I've not used Wilkinson bits before, and I wonder if anyone has any comments on this part in particular.

At £20 its not going to break the bank if I don't like it, but any opinions would be welcome.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    I tend to use the Wilkinson by Gotoh with the twistable/lockable saddles , and they are really good but much more expensive
    Through stringing only though 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Bridge quality can make or break a tele, the Gotoh ones are great and worth the extra over the cheaper Wilkinson ones IMO which are a bit light weight
  • MattPMattP Frets: 252

@FelineGuitars @JohnA

Thank you both for the feedback - it's appreciated. The crappy pot metal one on my self assembled tele is certainly the guitar's weak link.

It seems that hybrid loading tele bridges are a bit thin on the ground, unless you modify an existing plate.

Gotoh may end up getting the nod.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    We keep the Gotoh in stock if it helps

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I sell more Fender Pat Pend plates than Wilkinsons but the Wilkinson are a good budget option. Proper steel plates and polished chrome or nickel all over and a little thicker than the Fender. If wanting top load they are certainly one of only a handful available.
    I also carry a few Gotoh bridges, which are very good quality and definitely a step up on the Wikinson. However once again no top-load option.
    Another plus point with the Wilkinson is if you have a wound G you can flip the centre saddle over and it will intonate better.

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    The Wilkinson ones are fine and are toploader or string through .Cant see any issues ,I use  them on all my Teles as I like stop loaders.
  • MattPMattP Frets: 252

This is helpful - thanks all.

@rossi - I agree with you. Toploading is something that I like, I suppose being down to me using an old toploading Squier in my formative days. Whilst I string through probably nine thenths of the time - as I have only one tele - it's nice to retain the option to string it in another way.

Thinking about it, maybe the answer is another tele, rather than a new bridge!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I've got one in a bitsa and it's absolutely fine. No downside to it at all.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Ive used full amd half size Wilkinson Tele bridges with the compensated brass saddles, they are absolutely fine...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll