Hardcase re-upholster

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
The hardcase for my Jackson absolutely stank. I tried cleaning it and it just smelt worse. I've taken the fur lining out of the case and have left the polystyrene inside. Is it fairly easy to line it with new 'fur' or velvet? 

Does any one know of any where that could do this for me? 

Tempted to just get a new hardcase but I'd rather salvage this one as it's the original.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I've tried this before and it never goes well.
    Put the original case in the loft and get a reinforced gigbag for gigging.
    The Suhr ones are excellent.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    An automotive trimmers or upholsterer  could probably do it well. But they'd charge more than I'd want to pay I bet. 

Could have a go yourself with spray on glue, do a section at a time and that.. though I can't say I know what the insides of the case look like contour wise..

in my minds eye it can't be too hard.. which means it bloody will be! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Well it's hardly rocket science. You got the old lining out now so you're halfway there.

You just need to measure for a piece of velvet curtain fabric ensuring a generous allowance all round. Lay fabric on polystyrene, place guitar over fabric and snuggle down. Start trimming the overhang with decent scissors and fix down with the spray glue.

I have a Les Paul case purchased from Spider Cases. Nice tan mock Croc that cost only £50 and I cannot for the life of me get rid of the weird chemical smell, it's extremely pungent. Tried all sorts of air fresheners and had it out in the sun for days to try and gas it off but seems worse now.

I might just take a pinch of my own advice and strip and recover it.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7027
    tFB Trader
    I did one last year http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/85460/re-lining-a-guitar-case and was pretty pleased with the result.

As above you just need to cut and glue carefully but it did take a while to get it right. I made paper patterns for every piece and tested for fit before cutting my fabric.

Large areas were fixed using spray adhesive and the sides with hot melt glue.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    I did one last year http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/85460/re-lining-a-guitar-case and was pretty pleased with the result.

As above you just need to cut and glue carefully but it did take a while to get it right. I made paper patterns for every piece and tested for fit before cutting my fabric.

Large areas were fixed using spray adhesive and the sides with hot melt glue.
    I missed that first time around -  nice job Steve!