NPUD

mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
New Pickup Day.....

The Jackson shall be getting a Di Marzio HS-3 in the middle shortly and a standard 5-way switch.
Also the HS-3 is switchable from single - bucker, should give a load of different sounds.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    The DiMarzio HS series of replacement pickups for Stratocaster have their coils arranged vertically. The lower coil sits considerably further from the vibrating strings than the upper coil. Consequently, it contributes considerably less signal than the upper coil. (Possibly, so little as to be almost inaudible.) You are unlikely to want to use the sound of that lower coil by itself.

The true function of the lower coil is to cancel the hum and RF interference normally associated with Stratocaster pickups. Coil splitting to the upper coil reintroduces the possibility of interference. That leaves series or parallel interconnection and phase reversal of one coil with respect to the other. In my opinion, only the series/parallel option will produce any discernible difference. Even that will be minor. Barely worth assigning a push-pull pot to it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Yeah the sounds are similar, but there is a slight difference.
    Both are Stratty in different ways. Split definitely has more top end, and unsplit has a touch more mids. Combines well with the Bulldog Extremist (bridge - Clarky spec) and Duncan Distortion (neck).

If anyone is looking for a new strat pickup defo worth looking at.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I love splitting stacks. Splitting to the top coil, as said earlier, has a significantly different tone.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Alegree said:
    I love splitting stacks. Splitting to the top coil, as said earlier, has a significantly different tone.
    I've split it that way.
    I haven't bothered with splitting either the neck or bridge 'buckers though.