I think I want a Telecaster!

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Now, I have always been a Les Paul man, I love them dearly but just recently I have been gassing for a Tele! I don't know why but I'm starting to like the look of them but I've yet to be fully convinced by the sound. I'm not really a fan of the twang, so is there a Tele (preferably mim) that has a darker more fuller sound? Something that can go from blues to full on rock and also must have a thick neck. Am I asking for too much or does such a Tele exist? I once had a thing for the Fender aerodyne Telecaster but they are as rare as hens teeth and cost more than I'm willing to spend at the moment, I think I may have to sell or trade a guitar or two to do this so I want to make sure I find the right one! So please fire away with your suggestions chaps. Thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    MIM tele, wine red, maple neck, bout 95 or 96 model
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    tony99 said:
    MIM tele, wine red, maple neck, bout 95 or 96 model
    *Other Mexican Telecasters are available*
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Sorry I should have stated, I don't like red guitars! Sunburst, Olympic white or black would be nice.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Baja will give you a thick neck for not too much money - I had a Kotzen Tele and it has serious chunk but didn't sound like a Tele really - but that may suit you! Great guitars. @Aidanspaghetti got mine a while back :)

The other thing is not to rule out a Classic Vibe tele - bargain of a guitar and maybe a cheap way to see if you like the Tele before spending more money!

I loved my classic vibe - was £200! I now play a 3k Suhr Tele but would never say no to a good CV :)

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    The Fender Baja Telecaster has a fantastic neck profile and clever control circuitry. (The option to interconnect both pickups in series will do the darker tones that you desire.) Unfortunately, the body weight can be a bit hit and miss. The stock pickups are, ahem, sub-optimal. 

The La Cabronita model with Filter'Tron style pickups is an excellent compromise between twang, fullness and noise-cancellation.

Telecasters with P90 pickups sound full but do not reject hum. Similar sounds could be extracted from a regular Fender MIM Standard model upgraded with an Oil City Alligator 90 bridge/Treble position pickup or similar.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    .... Similar sounds could be extracted from a regular Fender MIM Standard model upgraded with an Oil City Alligator 90 bridge/Treble position pickup or similar.

Better still a Wapping Wharf, which untapped is even meatier than an Alligator, and a 5way switch to get all combinations
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    zepp76 said:
    Sorry I should have stated, I don't like red guitars! Sunburst, Olympic white or black would be nice.
    I say wine red, it's more a claret
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    Telecaster deluxe with humbuggies?
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    zepp76 said:
     Something that can go from blues to full on rock and also must have a thick neck. Am I asking for too much or does such a Tele exist? 
    I don't think so.  So much of blues and full on rock n roll is based on a tele.  Muddy Waters, Roy Buchanan, Jimmy Page, Joe Strummer.....there are countless guitarists who rock a tele.

Baja's have thick necks.  As do the earlier tele RI's '52's, Nocasters etc.

The thing is Strats are were it's at really.  Particularly if you're not a fan of the twang. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Roland said:
    Oil City Alligator 90
    Wapping Wharf
    My suggestion was to achieve a specific tone rather than for outright D.C. resistance.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5748
    The Chris Shiflett tele sounds like your ideal gateway drug. I had one on loan for a while and it fits your description perfectly. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Baja Tele - the chunky neck is superb but has switching to run the 2 single coils in series so sounds thick like a HB
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Surely the solution to wanting a darker, fuller sound is to wind the tone control back a bit?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    you dont think you want a Tele, you need a Tele :-)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    Everyone needs a Tele ... its for the greater good.
    'FOR THE GREATER GOOD!'
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If it ain't got the twang, it ain't a Tele.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    If your not sure about the sound of a Tele then maybe you don't really want a Tele. Is it the look you like?
    If so a poster would be a lot cheaper. ;-)
    https://fineartamerica.com/products/fender-telecaster-64-mark-rogan-poster.html

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Telecasters respond quite well to the controls, so knocking back the tone seems to thicken them up nicely. I use an AVRI 52 live which can roar, twang or wisper nicely but I also have a Lite Ashe model (not made any longer) which has a chunky modern 'C' neck and DiMarzio PUs as standard. These too have a great Tele vibe if a little more refined sounding.
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    Yeah you want a telecaster. Everybody needs at least one. I currently have four and I still want a telecaster.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    I've only got one, and I want another :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom