Dorje' gear nicked in Berlin

What's Hot

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    skunkwerx said:
    Well, I know my car insurance covers me to ONE place of work.. a fixed place of work. 

So when the store asks me to cover another store for a day... ugh, no can do boss, unless you foot the train ticket costs. 

Regarding Hmrc for addition earnings. 

You can earn up to £2k a year (or there abouts) doing whatever you like (legally). Its called casual income/earnings. Hmrc cannot touch it. I believe you still have to declare it though. 

Theres a gov page on it. 
    How does that roll with your contract?

Every work contract I've ever had includes 
    "The company reserves the right to request you to work at any one of our sites" or some such legal phooey. 
    Do you want a black and white answer or a proper one?
    Black and white please. 

Otherwise i get all itchy. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Wow. 
    Couple of £250's in there and a few £100's 
    Rob himself chipped in £50. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Wow. 
    Couple of £250's in there and a few £100's 
    Rob himself chipped in £50. 
    course he did, its tax deductible innit
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    When you guys say that people have chipped in, is it to this?

https://www.gofundme.com/dorje-stolen-bags
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    Yup
    <space for hire>
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Some of the comments on the Rob Chapman FB page are brutal. No need for some of it.  
    Some of the comments on the Rob Chapman FB page are brutal. No need for some of it.  
    Without making assumptions, whenever they've responded to comments that included "Was the gear insured?", they've avoided talking about the insurance.

I wonder if it all actually was insured after all? In which case, I'd hope that they'd donate the GoFundMe amount to charity once the insurance claim's through.

IF
    it's insured, of course.

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Without making assumptions, whenever they've responded to comments that included "Was the gear insured?", they've avoided talking about the insurance.

I wonder if it all actually was insured after all? In which case, I'd hope that they'd donate the GoFundMe amount to charity once the insurance claim's through.

IF
    it's insured, of course.

Rob may be many things but he doesn't strike me as dishonest .. plus he has too much to lose. His work with Andertons, his fan base, gigging etc.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Someone posted this on the Andertons link...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2014/08/27/3-entrepreneurs-who-changed-their-lives-with-youtube/amp/

The final paragraph is worth reading. IF that's true, then I'm quite shocked about how successful it's possible to get via you tube.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912

The final paragraph is worth reading. IF that's true, then I'm quite shocked about how successful it's possible to get via you tube.
    Oh my dear sweet summer child...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

IF
    it's insured, of course.

Rob may be many things but he doesn't strike me as dishonest .. plus he has too much to lose. His work with Andertons, his fan base, gigging etc.
    Indeed - in fact, none of them seem dishonest. If it's the case that it's insured, I'd imagine they'd use the cash as a "get out of the shit right now" fund (which is a very valid thing in this case - they've all got online properties to maintain, after all) and then put it all to charity (or give back some other way).

For what it's worth...I don't see anything particularly wrong with the GoFundMe campaign. Having followed it on Facebook, it was definitely set up after many people asked how they could help. That's not too far removed from us when we set this place up; we went into it knowing it was going to cost us money, and set up the PayPal account after many of you guys practically hounded us to do so.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2988
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2014/08/27/3-entrepreneurs-who-changed-their-lives-with-youtube/amp/

You're really that shocked? There are plenty of people who are millionaires many times over from YouTube. I once saw Rob's AdSense statement back when he was far less successful than he is now, and while I'd never dream of breaking his confidence on that score, what I will say is that it's not a stretch to believe he's very comfortable now. And, frankly, more power to him; if any of us could've done it that way, we would have.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I would be amazed if a band that size embarked on a tour of the USA without insurance.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801

You're really that shocked? There are plenty of people who are millionaires many times over from YouTube. I once saw Rob's AdSense statement back when he was far less successful than he is now, and while I'd never dream of breaking his confidence on that score, what I will say is that it's not a stretch to believe he's very comfortable now. And, frankly, more power to him; if any of us could've done it that way, we would have.
    Oh dont get me wrong, I absolutely would do what he's done if I wasn't so lazy. No one to blame for my lack of success but me. I do not begrudge him his success at all. In fact I'm in awe of it.

But yeah, I'm quite late to social media and the like and have always felt it's a bubble with the ocassional success story but apparently not...

I'm off to see how I can crack the Swiss market!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Thing is, not one knows what "comfortable" means in reality, and that's the only word that the Forbes article reveals. He could have been earning £17K in his old jobs and now earns £30K. Or £230K. It's just speculation, and from what I've seen, he's not living in a 6 bedroom house and driving Porches. It's all relative and I guess the bottom line he is turning a living he is happy with from guitar related stuff, s power to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    ICBM said:
    They left laptops, cameras, wallets and passports in a van outside a venue, and they're surprised that they got nicked?

I can have some sympathy for musicians who lose heavy or awkward gear from a van when they didn't carry it all into the venue or the hotel overnight… but leaving your personal valuables in a vehicle is just basic stupidity. The thief must have thought it was Christmas.
    Icbm and going oh shit when they realise their loss and diving straight onto facebook with a gofundme is beyond shameful, those condemning chapman have a valid point.
    ICBM said:
    They left laptops, cameras, wallets and passports in a van outside a venue, and they're surprised that they got nicked?

I can have some sympathy for musicians who lose heavy or awkward gear from a van when they didn't carry it all into the venue or the hotel overnight… but leaving your personal valuables in a vehicle is just basic stupidity. The thief must have thought it was Christmas.
    Icbm and going oh shit when they realise their loss and diving straight onto facebook with a gofundme is beyond shameful, those condemning chapman have a valid point.
    Except...that's not what actually happened.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Fretwired said:

IF
    it's insured, of course.

Yeah I don't think the band would say something untrue, only to get found out later.   There are already people on FB analysing and questioning elements of the story of how the gear was stolen.  

Rob earns more from his YT than Andertons do from theirs, he says on that Forbes interview he could live off his YT earnings. He isn't short of money.  
  • Fretwired said:. That's not too far removed from us when we set this place up; we went into it knowing it was going to cost us money, and set up the PayPal account after many of you guys practically hounded us to do so.
    Yes, but the FB is not a money making commodity, asking for handouts.